1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds bowing or flaring on the sides

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RefleX, Jul 31, 2013.

1. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

I having an issue with my AE's that I just basically noticed. I always thought I had odd shaped ankles but now I think my shoes are bowing. You can see a couple pictures below. What should I do? Return them? If it develops with my Webgem McAllister in Chili, can they custom make a pair to replace them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LaymanX

LaymanX Well-Known Member

Yikes that is pretty bad. My Strands bow a bit too, McAllister's fit like a glove.

I think I saw in the giant AE thread that you might be able to return those.

3. nmprisons

nmprisons Well-Known Member

They don't fit you well. That's not Allen Edmonds's fault.

4. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

They are comfortable and not loose anywhere else. Should the lace gap fit closer or something? I haven't worn my McAllisters or Strands outside of the house. I would hate to think that I have $1000 worth of shoes that don't fit. I haven't broken the other two in yet but they don't bow nearly as much, but I don't want to break them in to find that I need a different size.

What do you think is wrong? The last? Sizing?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. nmprisons

The lace gap is probably fine (some shoes are made to close more than that, but the gap on yours is pretty normal).

But if you are standing normally and there is that much space between your ankle and the shoe, the shoe doesn't fit.

6. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

7. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

You mean doesn't right? I just printed out the size chart and I'm pretty much right on the money, I "might" stand to go to an E size but I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference. What do I do? Is it just the last? Also, the right shoe fits much more normal. I just don't get it.

8. nmprisons

I am not an expert here, perhaps one of our resident shoemakers will chime in.

But there are three things to keep in mind:

(1) Your feet are different sizes. This is true for practically everyone.

(2) There is much more to fit than length and width. Unless there is something screwy with your feet, you'll just have to find a last that works better for you.

(3) If this is just a cosmetic thing (i.e, they feel comfortable and your feet are not hurting at the end of the day), they you might decide not to care.

9. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Well-Known Member

This exact thing happens to my Fifth Avenues, on my right foot only. It is because my right midfoot is larger than my left -- specifically, the base of my 5th metatarsal bone protrudes over the edge of the insole, pushing out the leather of the upper. This occurs for me on the Allen Edmonds 5-65 last, which is (in their words) "best for a long, narrow foot." This last does not fit me properly, as I do not have a long, narrow foot. It will not fit me in any size. I have had some degree of problems with my stupid protruding metatarsal bone with every one of AE's lasts, except for their 3-333 last which fits me perfectly. Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]
    Right foot, showing significant bowing.

[​IMG]
    Left foot, showing negligible bowing.

[​IMG]
    Both shoes, for comparison.

Wearing Superfeet 3/4 inserts (or some other insert) raises my foot up off of the insole and helps with both bowing and comfort, but I doubt that you would have room for them judging by the lace gap that you currently have. Good luck trying to fit into the 5-65 last. It's not for everybody.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

What would you suggest that I do? I really like the styles on that last, its depressing. Any experts out there?

11. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Well-Known Member

Other than a 3/4 insole, I haven't thought of anything. It is indeed depressing, because I would really like a pair of Strands, but I know that they will simply not fit on my feet. I am reminded of a post from the thread "Shoe Recommendation - Wide Forefoot, Narrow Heel":

Quote:
    Perhaps a cobbler could help by stretching the upper to better conform to your foot, but I haven't tried this yet. If you decide to consult a cobbler, please let us know how it goes.

12. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

I guess I just have to return them and get professionally fitted. But will they know exactly what last I'll need? How do Alden lasts run?

13. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

I've been messing around with them and I think I know what the issue. On the narrow lasts, when you press down on the heel, your foot expands outwards and presses the bottom of the heel leather out, which in turn presses the top out and causes the bowing issue. I wonder if a cobbler could fix this by slightly expanding the bottom, or just returning for a wider pair.

14. lexxdeleon

lexxdeleon Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem with my park avenues that I received today, not sure what to do. My other AE 's , the players shoe on the 2 last fits a but better for me as far as the bowing goes.

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Were these Factory Seconds?
    Please include this vital information in the posts.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  16. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

They were purchase last year at the Anniversary Sale, not 2nds. Haven't worn them that much recently. Is there a way a cobbler could stretch the bottoms out slightly to alleviate the pressure that causes bowing? Everything about the rest of the shoe is very comfortable.

17. nmprisons

Wait, your going to try and return shoes that have no flaw that you bought a year ago?

18. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

I think you are reading too much into the various so called quality issues with AE, and you haven't' wore shoes outside you bought a year ago??? why did you buy them?

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Reflex:

The bowing on the 5 last shoes is a much discussed subject in the AE thread. It usually is due to one or more of the following reasons:

1) You bought the wrong size.

2) The 5 last does not work for your foot. Some individuals with low volume feet have found they get significant bowing on every 5 last shoe they try on. I get slight bowing on both of my 5 last shoes, but not enough that it bothers me.

3) There is a defect in the shoe. AE claims that the bowing is due to shoes that sat on the shelf for too long and lost their shape. AE has also accepted returns on some shoes when their examination showed the shoe was defective in that the opening was too wide.

Even though you bought them at Nordstrom, I recommend you contact AE to work through this issue by getting sized and trying on other 5 last shoes to see if you have the same bowing issue. This should tell you whether (1) or (2) is the reason for the bowing of your shoes. If neither is the issue, AE will likely ask you to mail them in for inspection.

1 person likes this.
  20. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

No, I bought two other pairs in the same last that haven't been worn. It was a stupid move, I really wasn't pay attention to the issue at hand.

I've worn them at work but we switched over to casual wear so Park Avenues really don't fit the bill for that. I'm referring to the two other pairs that I just bought. I might try to experiment with my PA's to see if I can fix the issue. My money is on the lower heel of the shoe being pressed out. If I could get that stretched slightly it would probably significantly cut down on the amount of flare.

I suspect that is the issue because when my foot is off of the ground they fit like a glove, but when pressure is applied they flare.