1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Well-Known Member

I was in the Phoenx A&E store yesterday and was pleased to discover that they have a small quantity of the Boston single monk in brown calf. They have limited sizes and I know the Boston wasn't a very widely distributed shoe so if someone is interested you might want to move on it. Tom Kroepel, the manager there sent me an email with sizes and amount of burnishing on the shoes. Here's what they have:

2 pairs of 8 D: dovetail heels with light burnishing on the toe

1 pair of 8 ½ D: dovetail heel with a burnished toe

2 pairs of 9 D: dovetail heel with no burnishing on the toe

1 pair of 9 ½ D: rubber toplift with no burnishing

2 pairs of 10 D: dovetail heel with burnished toe

1 pair of 10 1/2 D: dovetail heel with no burnishing

1 pair of 11 D: dovetail heel with burnished toe

Great looking shoe and if I wasn't already monk heavy I'd probably pick up a pair.

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

those chilli daltons look tempting. does chilli, vary enough from walnut to warrant owning both?

3. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Black calf and brown grain Broadstreets, possibly amongst the least spectacular of all Spectators.....[​IMG]

4. DuckOB

DuckOB Well-Known Member

Hi

First time poster! First I wanted to say thanks for all the helpful information contained in the 1278 pages. Its been very helpful in care and sizing of my new shoe hobby or addiction depending how you look at it.

How I got here? I am in my mid 40's and for some reason my feet have grown about a half size. The doctor says my arches haven't fallen but no reason for the now larger feet. I had a pretty nice selection of older Johnston and Murphy Signature shoes and some chukkas. They no longer fit and I had to buy new shoes. The first pair of nice shoes I bought were some Wolverine 1000 mile Courtlands - beautiful leather on these. I found the style forum Wolverine page and read and read. Then I found some reference to Allen Edmonds and started reading. I liked the concept of American made and shoes that I could get recreafted so I bought a few - The Elgin great looking shoe. The leather sole is hard to get used to since i hadn't really worn leather soles in a long time. I needed some new dress shoes and bought the Bradley, super comfortable right out of the box. I bought the Katmai because I liked the look, some tread and would probably last forever.

Not sure my picture (crappy Blackberry shot) will post as I am new, but will give it a try. Here's my up and coming collection. Now what's next :) Again thanks and look forward to joining the conversations.

[​IMG]

5. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

So the question was, "is the AE brown shell different from the dark brown shell?" I know because I asked the question. I HAVE THE ANSWER! The answer is yes. The brown is more olive and the dark brown is a stronger brown with a hint of red (I think). The strands are brown and the dundees are dark brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

New dark brown shell Dundees. Now all I'm missing is cappuccino and I'll have the whole AE shell rainbow. Cappuccino should be here in a few weeks!

[​IMG]

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Return - for sure.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Beautiful

9. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, for both of these pics. For the comparative pics, you say that there is more of an olive tint to the brown shell (strands), BUT could it also be said that this even varies from shoe to shoe?...I ask because a gentlemen had posted pics of a Brown Shell Strand a few pages back, and while they were a striking color of brown, they had notably more red tint in them than the olive tone to which you refer. So it seems to me, that there could possibly be some variation from shoe to shoe, even within the same colors of shell. Nevertheless, thanks again for the pics.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

diggin that shade of brown on those dundees.. best price typically to secure a pair? do they ever come up on a seconds list?

sorry for the possibly redundant question, I dont venture into the AE thread often

thanks in advance!

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Those particular Dundees are shell cordovan. Likely never on sale, although seconds pop up once in a while.

12. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

PSA: Allen Edmonds is opening a new retail store in St. Louis, MO. For those of you familiar with StL, it will be located in Plaza Frontenac: upper level near Neiman Marcus.

1 person likes this.
  13. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

yea I figured as such. I have a pair of cigar chukkas from alden that have a more olive tone. these are a shade more to my liking

14. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Same length - 11.5D Strand, 11.5E McTavish. 12D Dalton

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Does anyone have both the Kenilworth and the Park avenues? I have the Kenilworth in size 7.5 and I read that they fit bigger than most AE's.. I'm assuming I'd be a 8 in Park avenues?

16. cmd06

cmd06 Well-Known Member

I am a 9.5 D in the PAs and a 9 D in the Kenilworths. It's strange because they're on the same last. However, I've heard bluchers/derbys can be like that versus oxfords/balmorals.

1 person likes this.
  17. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Well-Known Member

I tried to do a search but got conflicting information. I bought the "Spray Waterproofer" for use in leather, suede, or fabric, and "silicone-free". I bought some Sedonas and it was recommended. Now though I hear that such waterproofing spray is unnecessary and could ruin the leather.

Is the Allen Edmonds "Spray Waterproofer" a good idea? For only suede, or for calfskin?

What'll happen if I am caught in the rain with leather or suede shoes? Permanent water stains?

18. cmd06

cmd06 Well-Known Member

So I did what members suggested by buying the burgundy Dalton instead of the chocolate brown one - despite the $300 difference.

This is my first purchase of shell cordovan and AE factory seconds. I'm unsure whether or not the defects shown in the images below are serious enough to return the burgundy pair. A) Is the shaft of the boot too battered-looking? B) Is it normal for black marks to be on the shaft? C) How bad are the horizontal white creases on the right side of each boot, midway down the shaft?

I'd especially appreciate any comments from people who returned factory seconds before, and what their reasons were.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. cmd06

cmd06 Well-Known Member

Here is a daytime comparison shot indoors of the Daltons in walnut calf and chocolate brown calf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. cmd06

cmd06 Well-Known Member

Finally here is a comparison of the walnut calf Dalton and the burgundy shell version. I saw some posters have both the walnut calf and chocolate calf, or burgundy shell and walnut shell, but not my combination.

I've tried to show with flash and without, and with various backgrounds to best show them. In my hunt for this boot, I spent a few hours trying to see whether the chocolate brown and burgundy were different enough. AE burgundy is more brownish and less shiny than the Alden #8 or AE Merlot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]