1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Stating a fact is not 'alarmist', it's just the facts. That some here react with alarm to the facts really only proves that not everyone here knew that Allen Edmonds is not 100% Made in USA, yet likely previously believed that they were, based on what AE markets (and conveniently fails to divulge in their marketing).

My issue is only partially with their "The Great American Shoe Company" moniker, it's more with Allen Edmond's lack of transparency. If someone not 'in the know' wanted to find out exactly where AE does their manufacturing, where on the company website can they find that they do so in the Dominican Republic for "Proudly Made in the USA" shoes?

Their site says 'Custom American Shoes' in the title, 'The Great American Shoe Company' all over the place, their blog talks a lot about their USA plant and their American heritage etc., yet they completely hide any and all information their Dominican Republic manufacturing? Really?? They are clearly trying to fool people.

And the fact that the CEO states the true facts on an industry online forum such as this one is only commendable in a half-hearted way: that he does this yet hides the facts everywhere else seems completely shady.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

No face to face meetings today and April showers will lead to another half a foot of more snow soon so....
    [​IMG]

It is a Cascade's type of day.

3. phototristan

We're not talking about what country the hides come from. That is not the issue, but that does seem like a point where Allen Edmonds seeks to confuse the consumer. They want to have you believe the leather is imported, yet the shoe is made in the USA...Which we know is not the complete truth.

4. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Well-Known Member

Thank you for enlightening us, can we please move on. The thread is an appreciation thread, so let's focus on the things we do like about AE, which there are many.

1 person likes this.
  5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Mediahound, the reaction you are getting has nothing to do with the point you are trying to make and everything to do with how you are going about it. You know how there is usually some guy with a beef with a store that sits out on the sidewalk all day with the banner telling everyone not to shop there because Store X misleads its customers or something else nefarioius. People read the sign out of curiosity and chuckle or shrug their shoulders out of disinterest and proceed on in the store. Nobody minds that guy.

Now, give that guy a megaphone and have him shouting at every customer passing by how awful the store is (or how Joe Biden was kidnapped by the Russians and is now a Russian spy) and people get annoyed. The more you keep pounding the same points over and over again, when people are disinterested in them, the more you approach megaphone guy.

6. phototristan

1. People are clearly interested, they keep posting on the topic.

2. I only stated the facts, it's people's reactions to these facts that are like the megaphone, which should tell you something.

7. phototristan

I'd be careful about wearing shell as rain shoes. It has a tendency to develop water welts which at times never fully go away. I'd use some Alden Leather Defender on them before wearing them out in the rain, which is like a water repellant.

While shell cordovan is definitely a lot more durable than calf leather, that's only if you don't care about the finish. If that's the case, thrash them all you want, they can take the beating for sure.

8. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

For those of you with Suede Players. what was your experience with
    sizing?

I'm thinking about ordering a pair but never tried the 2 last before.
    - I am a 9.5E in the 5 last & 10D in 1 last

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth, but the quotes I highlighted above seemed to indicate to me that some are believing that AE shoes were once made of all USA sourced leather, and now they have gone down market in quality by using imported materials. Even your post regarding the Amok above seemed to indicate a belief that the stamp means that the leather is assembled in the DR (which it may or many not have been). Perhaps I am misreading some people's posts, and I am just trying to clarify that nothing ususual is going on there.

1 person likes this.
  10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I mean this sincerely: Why not send Mr. Grangaard an email with your concerns? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say about it; and if he agrees with some of your points, maybe he'll change things. He reads this forum once in a while and has posted his email before.

11. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I kept the same size (11.5D) as my strands & daltons, and i find the players to be more snug in every dimension. Definitely still wearable, just less room.

12. kmdsimpson

This.

I do not wear my shell shoes in the rain.

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Well-Known Member

I agree on all accounts, do not think I would change size however

14. kmdsimpson

Got my Townleys yesterday. I was wearing a suit, so threw these on and took a quick picture. Other than being a blucher, they look great with a suit.

And boy, these are really shiny. They also smelled strongly of polish initially, overwhelming the "shell" smell. But leaving them out overnight has helped. I don't think I'll put any product on them to start.

Also seem a little duplicative of my brown Cliftons - but much nicer.

[​IMG]

15. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

thx, so since they do not have 9.5E in stock my best bet would be the 10D?

@simpson - love those townleys.
    - i recently picked up the last 9.5D brown cliftons and have been breaking them in. Ideally I would have wanted and E width but they were not available. The only flaw I've found was on the stitching on the left cap toe that won't be an issue in the future.

[​IMG]

16. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

I don't know, when I purchased my Yuma's a month back I knew they were made in the DR and that was because I read this description on the website:

Made in the Dominican Republic with the same premium materials and workmanship as our Port Washington, Wisconsin factory

So 'any and all' seems a bit absolutist to me. I think there are shades of grey to this. I get that they don't want to advertise that they manufacture shoes in the DR. It just sells better domestically to put the Port Washington plant first and foremost in consumers minds. But are they being completely transparent about it? No, that would be shitty marketing and *possibly* sell fewer shoes.

3 people like this.
  17. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member

What in the hell happened to the Allen Edmonds website...

18. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

19. kmdsimpson

MoneyWellSpent, I completely agree on separating the issues of quality with place of manufacture/source. I assume we all want AE to manufacturer as much as they can in the US, as I assume they do, too. But then there are the practicalities of materials, cost notwithstanding.

It just further muddies the water with regard to labeling; what is "good" not made-in-the-USA vs. "bad"? Outsourcing labor is not good, because we have labor in the US. But outsourcing materials in some cases might be acceptable.

But then that gets in to quality discussions, too; there is a big assumption here that made in the USA is higher quality than made in the DR. That might or not might not be true... AE certainly says it is not.

To be clear, I have no problem with anyone saying that they prefer AE to manufacture in the US for social and economic reasons. The quality question, if it is asked, is much harder to determine.

20. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

My next shoe (outside of the current sale) was going to be burgundy cliftons. I wish I had have gone w/ those townleys instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.