1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

maxtonmen shows reno in stock

2. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

I think most did have a back seam. I know for a fact that the Austin did. The only true wholecuts that I have seen besides bespoke are by Gaziano Girling, St. Crispins, and Vass. Apparently, for no back seam, it takes 3 months and starts with a little hole in the leather on top of the shoe. It's a very time consuming process and obviously greatly increases the cost of the shoe. It's not impossible, but I can't see AE being able to do no seam economically without charging an arm and a leg. Also, I don't know if AE is truly high end enough to pull something like that off. That'd be similar to a cadillac making a really high end sports car, it would just be outside the scope of the brand.

3. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

^ Good point.

Maybe not a true wholecut- but with the same 1-piece seamless look that a formal shoe needs. Their formal offering (the Mayfair or something) is a fail in my book.

4. gsgleason

gsgleason Well-Known Member

Yes, they accept returns on seconds. I ordered some shell MacNeils last year and returned them because the defect was a gaping screw-up in the medalion on the toe, which was way too apparent.

5. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

They will charge you shipping on returning seconds. They also may not have anymore of the model he wanted in your size. This is especially true for shell.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

lol.

But seriously, have you seen these new styles?

sincerely,

an old codger

7. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

I have never been charged shipping for seconds...whether it's buying or returning.

8. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Last time I returned something to the shoe bank, they told me I had to pay for my own shipping

9. sqroot3

sqroot3 Well-Known Member

same.

10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Interesting. They charged me about $13 shipping for my recent shoebank order.

11. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've searched the thread for Patriot sizing and it seems as of last year
    sizing was all over the place for everyone. For those of you that have had them
    for awhile what would you guys says sizing wise? I'm planning to pick a pair up
    from the shoe bank while they are on sale.

Current sizing:
    Park ave/ strand: 9.5E
    Dalton: 10D
    McTavish: 9E
    Elgin: 9.5D (slight heel slip - 9E would have been better but none available at time of purchase)

Also it seems I was really late on the brown burnished cliftons. If anyone has a
    pair of 9.5E and looking to sell, please let me know - I would be really interested.
    I ordered the last pair of 9.5D today from the Jefferson outlet today, however after
    going to nordstroms to try a pair of walnut 9.5D cliftons I found my toe pretty much
    all the way to the end of the toe box and snug width wise.

12. Deladonis

Deladonis Member

W
    What kind are they? Do you know the Last#?

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

I do remember that hike actually...because it was around the time that I had begun shopping for my first AE's, and the prices had just increased from $325 to $335 and I had to order my Walnut Fifth Aves at the time, from a retail store who's prices had not yet adjusted in order to save money...they actually still had them offered at $285. However the reason I specified "across the board" is because, at least at that time, the price hike that I had noticed, had only occurred on models from the Timeless Classics Collection...but perhaps the price hike was universal...whichever one it is, their traditional/classic offerings sure seem to have taken a hit as of late. If they are going to continue along this creative streak, I personally would like to see perhaps a snuff suede loafer with maybe a sterling silver faux buckle type deal. Even though I dont wear loafers, I think this type of contrast between a subdued leather finish and an understated sterling accoutrement could really be a dignified way to be creative, or even a suede/calf combination leather model could look nice if done right - rather than the footwear currently in production that only some dude on a unicycle would wear.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  14. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Shoe bank or ae seconds store or any ae retail store don't charge shipping on purchase. Its always free shipping. Return shipping you will have to pay. The $13 you've got charged is tax.

15. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Well-Known Member

Ah yes, of course. Now I feel dumb. :embar:

16. PK35216

PK35216 Well-Known Member

Thanks. They are called Oneals and are on the 5 last, I think (I'll double check later). One very comfortable shoe. Chili colored. My only pair in that color. I need some more.

17. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Wearing my Mora today. Its on 8 last – which is perfect for my feet type. I applied loads of conditioner on the vamp area on Mora this morning for 1 hour before polishing them off. But the left shoe is showing quit ugly looking crease ( its like bow and creasing inwards) where right shoe showing 1 shell like roll and crease on the either side on the roll. What I am thinking the conditioner didn't penetrate the leather on the left shoe as much as it did on the right one. Pictures will follow….

18. Raist

Raist Active Member

I just bought a pair of AE Lloyd's on the Bay and was wondering if they are cordovan? I've never owned a pair of cordovan shoes but have read that one way to tell is the creases tend to lighten instead of darken like calf skin. The creases on the ones I bought are lighter. I haven't been able to find much online about the Lloyds. I did a search on here too but didn't find anything definitive on if any Lloyd's were made of cordovan or not. Sorry for rambling a bit, I just want to make sure I take care of them the right way.

19. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

20. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

The Lloyd was made in cordovan, but as far as determining whether your pair is, maybe it would help if you posted pictures. If it helps you figure it out, cordovan has a tendency to ripple rather than create micro-creases that you see on calf shoes.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.