• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinc2162

Reaction score
And what he said! Yes you do....

Last night my tan Krause were waiting for me when I got home. Much better shape than the russet ones. They were a bit more yellow than I had hoped and very light colored overall. Both had some blemishes and one was darker than the other. The leather is slightly different than the russet Krause, more like the McTavish. The fit in 9.5 was about the same as the 9.5 RW beckman and identical to the 1K 744 in shell in size 10D. The heel has a bit of play in it but nothing I can't live with. If they were the same color IRL as in the picture with flash I might have left them as is.

I started off with saddle soap and hot water to cut the finish. I had intended to apply neatsfoot oil like I did on my McTavish to darken them. The Krause and McTavish both had one shoe that was darker than the other, I think the Dublin leather is hard to match properties when making a shoe. By applying coats of neatsfoot oil to darken the McTavish I was able to even out the color so that both matched. But I was a bit too aggressive with the scrub brush (didn't I say to use a sponge?!) on the Krause and parts of them turned almost white when they dried. So plan B.... Saphir Reno and Saphir Medium Brown cream. It took several coats and some work but I was able to get them evened out in color. They really shined up more than I thought they would with just the cream, but cream has no protection against the elements. Debated between AE premium polish in chili or Saphir Med Brown paste wax. Decided to go all Saphir on these at this point. Down the road will likely start using a burgundy paste wax for some red tones. But they turned out great in the end. I can even wear them as a semi-dress boot instead of my original intent of just a jean boot. The laces are the same ones that are on the 744 and they look fine on the 744's. But they do make the Krause look a bit more casual and I will start looking for some thicker round laces as others have mentioned.

Thanks bucksfan what a great pickup at a great price!

Wow, they look great. I got my tan krause and I haven't done anything to them yet. I was thinking of just applying lexol conditioner. However, what you have done to your boots has inspired me to do more than just that., haha. I like the color on your boots a lot too.

adsmith4

Reaction score
My Amok's in the wild. This is absolutely my new favorite shoe. The pictures on the website don't do it near the justice it deserves and at $147 for firsts and $99 for seconds I would recommend them to everyone.

roomiller

Reaction score
$199 at my store right now... that's a pretty good price
What store would that be? Also do the stores tend to carry the larger sizes(15-16) on hand? I want to order a pair but really want to get sized uup and try them on first

bucksfan

Reaction score
And what he said! Yes you do....

Last night my tan Krause were waiting for me

when I got home. Much better shape than the russet ones. They were a bit more yellow than I had hoped and very light colored overall. Both had some blemishes and one was darker than the other. The leather is slightly different than the russet Krause, more like the McTavish. The fit in 9.5 was about the same as the 9.5 RW beckman and identical to the 1K 744 in shell in size 10D. The heel has a bit of play in it but nothing I can't live with. If they were the same color IRL as in the picture with flash I might have left them as is.

I started off with saddle soap and hot water to cut the finish. I had intended to apply neatsfoot oil like I did on my McTavish to darken them. The Krause and McTavish both had one shoe that was darker than the other, I think the Dublin leather is hard to match properties when making a shoe. By applying coats of neatsfoot oil to darken the McTavish I was able to even out the color so that both matched. But I was a bit too aggressive with the scrub brush (didn't I say to use a sponge?!) on the Krause and parts of them turned almost white when they dried. So plan B.... Saphir Reno and Saphir Medium Brown cream. It took several coats and some work but I was able to get them evened out in color. They really shined up more than I thought they would with just the cream, but cream has no protection against the elements. Debated between AE premium polish in chili or Saphir Med Brown paste wax. Decided to go all Saphir on these at this point. Down the road will likely start using a burgundy paste wax for some red tones. But they turned out great in the end. I can even wear them as a semi-dress boot instead of my original intent of just a jean boot. The laces are the same ones that are on the 744 and they look fine on the 744's. But they do make the Krause look a bit more casual and I will start looking for some thicker round laces as others have mentioned.

Thanks bucksfan what a great pickup at a great price!

Wow - those look wonderful - congrats on the fit and on the finished product!

I also regret not getting the truffle McAllisters, that's partially why I made the request for the list.

Bucksfan-

Can you please provide Kristle's contact info? What store is she at?

Thanks!

Sorry or the late response, was hosting my 5 year old's birthday party. Kristle is the manager at the Jeffersonville, OH outlet store.

740) 948 9033
[email protected]

I am thinking about those walnut shell strands my might just get the truffle mcallisters since I have a brown shell strand on order

I am going by Kristle's store in a week and a half, and asked for her to get the walnut shell Strands (I have brown already, one of my favorites!) and the truffle McAllisters. She's also getting in a pair of burgundy shell Daltons and a pair of brown cordovan Norwich for me to check out. It will be an interesting day... we'll see if my wife lets me back in the house!

Last edited:

mingus2112

Reaction score
Patriot update:

Anyone who is concerned about the tightness of the strap - DON'T BE! 4th wear and, sometime in the middle of the day I felt like I was wearing different shoes! The strap absolutely loosens to conform to your foot. . .you just have to give it time! ;)

-James

jguyette

Reaction score
Is this the Amok? If so, chocolate or snuff suede? Either way, they look great.
I've got a pair of the Amok coming my way in snuff suede. Should be here on Monday.

Since everyone else is posting their new new arrivals...these came early last week:

Michael Haines

Reaction score

I've got a pair of the Amok coming my way in snuff suede. Should be here on Monday.

That is not the Amok but you should love them any ways. I believe they are the Malvern but still a nice chukka. I went this time with the Amok because to me seemed a bit more slender looking. But I always wanted a pair if the Dundees in shell

bucksfan

Reaction score
Regarding the bourbon Daltons, I missed it. I like the Facebook Friday idea, but they need to stick with it.

Last edited:

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

They are the malverns in brown suede. Not as sleek as the amoks but I still like em :)

zazadojo

Reaction score

Nah, the waxy Dublin doesn't take polish very well, so just wipe them all over with a little black and you should be good; then post pics!
Great to hear it. I have to wait for my Saphir products to start work in mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics