1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Well-Known Member

I am planning to purchase Leeds cordovan from online store but I am not sure about sizing. Since I am living in Canada I can't go to store front to try/purchase. I know Harry Rosen carries few ae models (Park ave, Dalton and parkway i think) and Dalton is in 1 last which same as Leeds. Is it safe to try Dalton boots to check sizing for Leeds since they are in same last?

I have few Alden models to compare size

Grant Last boots 7D
    Alden Indy 6D

Thanks in advance

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I think it is better than nothing, and it will give you some idea as to whether or not the last shape is generally pleasing to your foot, and for how much room your toes have. However, boots do fit differently than shoes due to their height, amount of lacing, etc., so you may still find some subtle differences in fit.

3. jjr4884

jjr4884 Well-Known Member

For the time being, i would wipe with a damp clothe, and thoroughly hit it with a horsehair brush. Spray a squirt or two of water on the horsehair brush from time to time, and see how you make out.

Thoroughly do the damp cloth, i would much prefer all that buildup on a cloth rather than a brush... you should see a ton of polish come off.

4. jjr4884

If it is on the same last, then it is pretty safe to say that the fit will be near identical. Because the Dalton is a boot, there may be a slight variance to the Leeds, but i'm sure you can get an accurate fitting. If you have the disposable income, purchase two pairs a half size apart, try them both on, then return one.... rather than going back and forth with different sizes.

5. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

Has anyone found a good belt to match with the smokey grey mctavish?

[​IMG]

6. sungmineyo

Thank you for reply. Generally, is 1 last tts? can anyone compare 1 last and 5 last in size wise? since I can try on non-boots AE in 5 last.

7. sungmineyo

Ah thank you for suggestion, but it is painful to get refund for HST i paid for border crossing if I return one pair.(no duties due to NAFTA)
    So it is not really practicable. But I will definitely try on Dalton before I order Leeds.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

In my experience the 1-Last is true to size. For me, I can either wear the same size in the 5-Last, or I can go up a half size in length and down one size in width to accomplish a similar amount of comfort. The reason I know this is because the 5-Last creases funny on my feet, so sometimes I have to adjust to the longer length if I want the creases to fall above the captoe.

9. jjr4884

Honestly with that kind of shoe, I wouldn't worry too much about being matchy matchy since it is strictly casual. I could see that shoe looking good with a raw denim with either a navy or brown belt. I'm sure with the gray, you can play with a lot of combinations of belts/pants and get a funky, yet still subtle and stylish outfit....

10. jjr4884

Same with me. I wear a 10D on the 5 last, but a 9.5D/10D will fit just as good on the 1....

11. maxmaxmaxmax

maxmaxmaxmax Active Member

There are a bunch of stores downtown that sell AE. Might be worth a call to see if they have something comparable to try. Off the top of my head, there's Rego, Robert Jones, Harry Young and Pace.

12. jeonmin

jeonmin Member

What color pants/trousers would you wear with red neumoks?

13. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

I find the 1-last to be TTS as well. I wear 8.5D Indy boots and 9D on the AE 1-last. However, I found the 1-lasted Dundee chukka boots to be noticeably roomier than the other 1-lasted shoes I have (Hamptons, Wilbert, Bradley). How does the Indy boots fit you? 8.5D Indy boots are pretty roomy for me width-wise in the forefoot if I'm wearing thin socks, but they feel perfect with moderately thick socks.

I think trying on the Daltons should help give you an idea of the fit of the 1-last.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head, I could see them working with denim, blues, yellows if you have them, olive green, and probably grey.

15. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good edge dressing for the walnut strand?

16. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Chili

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered before... Have any of you bought new AE shoes from either of these ebay sellers/stores... peteshoesinc or qualityshoebrands? Both usually sell AE at nice prices shipping included and tax free. If so, are they usually in proper NIB shape? 1st quality? I'm looking to pull the trigger on a pair of walnut strands. Both sellers usually put them on sale for around $275-295. Was wondering if any of y'all have had positive experiences. Thanks!

18. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

I own the Aberdeen in smokey grey leather, rather than the McTavish, but my suggestions should apply equally well to both. The Johnston & Murphy charcoal grey suede belt that I purchased a few years ago is no longer available, but I also recently purchased the following slate grey tumbled leather number by Torino:

[​IMG]

That belt is available direct from the manufacturer, as well as via Zappos, Sherman Brothers, and a few other sites. Torino also makes a grey suede belt that'd likely work, too.

I've also seen a couple Remo Tulliani suede/nubuck belts on Shoebuy.com in similar color tones.

I applied Renovateur and neutral Saphir polish to my Aberdeens when they arrived, so they immediately lost the "chalky" look they shipped with. Instead, they're darker than the AE stock photos, with a good amount of color variation across a range of grey tones. Just about any belt in that range should work well, in my opinion.

19. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Well-Known Member

I use the natural AE edge dressing. Works for all colours IMO.

20. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

But if you have scuffed the edge and need to replace the color, natural does nothing. Chili matches the color pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.