1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

code already works. Just used it and my recraft card for a custom Neumok for $140-ish including tax. Score! That makes three - my orange and white one, whatever my wife ordered, and this third one:

[​IMG]
    And now the Cappuccino coming? Oh no!

2. freakersea

freakersea Well-Known Member

are the colour of the webgems cardinal or football brown?, got a pair coming myself that are black and football brown

3. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

That's excellent. Do they renew the cork footbed when they do this?

4. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

WOW, this is amazing!

5. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Those look great. I ordered an all football leather shoe, and after seeing your pics, I am glad I did. I ordered 2 pairs, one the first day the sale was live, and another a couple of days later. I haven't got mine yet, but am "jonesin" for them now...

6. Variatio

Seconded, the football grain looks just great. I absolutely love it, just that it is really tough to get them in Germany.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

One of the options for the custom sole on the Park Avenues on the AE website is the golf spike sole. I almost want to select this option for an order just to see if AE would actually call me and ask if I realize what I'm doing. Almost.

8. Variatio

You don't really think anyone would be going to call you for reasons of precaution? [​IMG]

9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Anyone have bleeding issues from the leather? On a pair of Park Avenues I've had for several years, the leather from the inside of the shoe is bleeding onto the front my big toe, through my sock. Very odd, because this never happened in the past. It started a couple months ago and is consistent. The shoes are not too small (my toe isn't jammed up against the front), and my feet don't sweat excessively. This is the only pair of shoes that this happens with.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Yes, new hot cork is done when they recraft. It is like getting a brand new pair of shoes already broken in for your foot.

Chris

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Nah, I prefer the leather on my shoes to be well done. Do you prefer them medium rare?

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I like the Patriot, but I personally wouldn't go with black. I'm not a big fan of black shoes with light colored pants, especially khaki/chino type pants. I see a lot of people doing this, but it's not for me.

I would suggest either the brown or burgundy Patriot (I know the burgundy is only available with tap sole, so if you want all leather go brown).

The burgundy Randolph might be another one you should consider.

Chris

13. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. Here's a video of the entire process:

14. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Well-Known Member

Yes, my 3 year old Walnut Strands do this on occasion. I think it has more to do with polish bleeding throught the broguing in my case than the leather itself. That being said, I've never been able to tie it to a time shortly after polishing them so I may just be guessing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Re: Grey McTavish. I got a pair at the sale price - same idea, couldn't resist the value. I'm in a business casual office environment, and wear them with dark blue or even black chinos. I do get comments - one yesterday "so is grey the new black?". They also look fantastic with a pair of faded jeans. Dresses up the look. For the price, and the quality, can't go wrong IMO.

16. Leather

Leather Well-Known Member

Looking to start my first full-time job soon, and was interested in buying a pair of AE Park Avenues (or any other suggestions for first couple pairs of AE's?). Where would be my best bet for a discounted pair?

17. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

Quote:
    That would make sense, since the basic belt fits more or less the way I think it should, and the manistee is a little too loose (at the innermost hole). I guess the lesson here (for me, at least) is that I should have ordered the Manistee in a 36. It's a shame, I really like the belt and it goes great with a pair of burgundy Cliftons.

18. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

You can check the SF Buy & Sell forums, as there are SF members who sell discounted AE stuff there (some firsts, some seconds, some used). If you are willing to go with seconds, you can save a little more money.

Also, depending on what you will be wearing at your job, the Park Avenue may or may not be a good shoe to buy right away. I typically only wear mine with a dark, conservative suit, which means that I rarely wear them more than a couple times a month (I work in an environment that is more or less business casual). That being said, you will likely get good use out of them at formal events like weddings, funerals, etc. I think it's a great shoe to have as part of your collection, but if you are only going to have one or two pairs, there are probably more versatile options.

19. Leather

Leather Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. Which models would you say are more versatile?

20. dustygator

dustygator Member

I'm in a similar situation and I went with black Strand (firsts) and the burnished walnut Rutledge (seconds) from the Independence Collection. I wanted one black and one brown but I wanted the black to be casual enough to wear to work (business casual) with chinos/wool slacks but could still pair with a suit if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.