1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

And me, too... Spent a couple hours watching TV and brushing my MacNeils...

2. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Well-Known Member

Well Daltons are marketed as being dress boots so I don't think you're wrong. I am just a bit timid about wearing them with a suit because I've never owned dress boots before.

3. spitshine123

spitshine123 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the RL Illfords. Beautiful boots, but I don't have much experience as to what I can wear them with. Any recommendations?

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

One final comment on creasing on cap toe shoes, if the shoe fits wear it.

Normally, I would not expect creasing on the cap itself. However, I have noticed that AE toe caps are not uniform in length vis-a-vis shoe size. That and AE size recommendations are not always correct. I have a pretty high tolerance for variations in appearance, so the creasing displayed in the previous photos is not an issue to me. Nevertheless,.I always recommend a proper fitting prior to drawing any conclusions.

5. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Beautiful Don, thx again

6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

Each time I see those, donjuan, I rethink the idea of double monks and start reaching for the wallet.

Now, on a different note, ever since I had a cobbler add a couple more sets of eyelets to the Saunders I picked up, I'm really liking them a lot more. It's just a much better fit (and it made the lace length more appropriate).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Well-Known Member

lol really???? too funny, same with me haha i polished hmm... lemme see

Bourbon Strands - Reno
    Cole Haan PTBoot - Reno and AE Walnut polish
    Merlot McAllister - Hit it with my "dirty" brush then sprayed some water on my merlot brush and brought the shine back to life, sole dressing
    Neumora - Reno, then water, sole dressing
    Magnanni cap toes - brought the shine back to life, little water

At this point, f the world

Reno and polish for the shell strands. I am loving the fact that they are lightening up a bit. The dark polish from AE sucks, give them a chocolate color rather than that awesome medium brown that they are.

6 pairs of shoes, took a couple hours, loved every second of it. I felt lost a couple days ago when my shoes were disorganized in my closet and were in need of some TLC. I will hit my walnut strands with a quick brush tonight, and I think I'll give my Clarks a scrub as well (tan and chocolate chukkas).. and my Ugg boots. No laughing, picture gray chukkas with a white sneaker sole, comfy and casual and certainly don't look like your typical "ugg"

8. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

Pleasantly surprised to find two pairs of Neumoks by the door today. They were ordered a week or two apart. Olive and football webgems. Tried on to ensure fit and took pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. TheSizzle

Could you post larger pictures of the football grain?

10. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

Anytime. Let me know what you decide on.

Thanks bro. Anything I can do to sway your beliefs haha

On your other note, are those Saunders black suede? My google search seems to imply they shouldn't exist.

11. TheSizzle

If AE starts offering lighter double monks more, I'll be on that boat. Well, actually, I might be on it pretty soon either way.

Actually, they're chocolate suede. They just come across pretty dark.

12. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone else has had any trouble with the sizing of the Manistee belt. I recently ordered a basic wide belt in chili and a manistee belt in merlot/burgundy. The AE website suggests ordering a belt a full size larger than your pants size. I typically wear a 35 or 36 (depending on the cut, etc), so I ordered both belts in size 38. The strange thing is that the length of the two belts is identical, but the hole placement is completely different. I can just barely wear the manistee using the inside-most hole. Even then, I wish it were a tad tighter. Meanwhile, I can wear the wide basic belt with one of the middle holes, and it fits just about perfectly. Any reason why the holes on the different belts would be laid out differently? It seems to be a strange decision IMO.

13. TheSizzle

It looks like I could still order the football grain ones.

This... is bad news... for my wallet.

14. g-banger

g-banger Well-Known Member

sorry to bring this question up - i have a pair of 9D Walnut Strands, first pair of AE's and i absolutely love them. Im thinking i want to get a pair of Black park avenues, but not sure if i should down size as my stands are pretty comfy but the right shoe is tad narrow.

Should i downsize from 9D -> 8.5E for the PA's?

[​IMG]

Damn i love AE's now! they are so much more comfortable compared to my loakes.

15. TheSizzle

If that's as tightly as you can lace them, you might want to go a bit wider (that's quite a spread).

16. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. It was about a week after I ordered the olive pair that AE offered the webgems.

But I'm glad to have both pairs.

17. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

Wow it seems the shoe gods demanded penance yesterday.

I'm curious now, you polish your Clark DBs? I too have the tan and used to clean em up a bit and even spray the liquid repelant on them but now I just let em get beat up. I justify it as letting them build character.

18. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

The football grain appears to have a shade of red in your photos. Is that how they appear in person, or is your camera adding some discoloration?

19. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.