1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful - nice shine too. Definitely on my future list especially since I like the 333 last.

2. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Those pics may have just sealed me buying a pair of those. Damnit. May be sending my nuemora's back though. Squeak is too annoying.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

What'd you do as far as choosing a size for the Rutledge compared to your other AEs? A 9.5 E in the 8 last (Delray, Lasalle) fits me perfectly, so if you happen to own any of those (I think I might see a pair of Delrays [or maybe they're Parkways?] in your collection), what size adjustment if any did you make? If you don't have any 8 last shoes, feel free to compare to whatever other AE models.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the powder fixed the problem!

5. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

They are all the same size. 12d.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Send them back. You will be bothered by them every time you wear them, and, then, eventually you will quit wearing them. Spend an extra 125-ish to get firsts. The extra money spent, in the long run, will be irrelevant.

7. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

I saw a few pages back someone posted pictures of their 744s (Wolverine but made by AE). I haven't seen the Krause mentioned too much here but I'm in love with both of them. I received the Krause boot first from Krystle in the states and they were very comfortable and wear well in the snow despite having oiled leather soles. I received the 744s from Jay and they immediately replaced the Krause as my favorite pair....they were also my first pair of shell boots and I think I'm hooked... They just feel so substantial...and I just want to look at them when I'm wearing them...and the smell of both boots...that was new to me. The Krause aren't shell but both have a lovely fragrant smell that I've never come across before. Passengers in my car often ask about it...it is that noticeable and pleasant.

Anyway, some pics of both. The Krause had been worn for a month and the 744s were just taken out of the box at the time these were taken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have enough boots for now (6 since November...went on a little spree)...the next shoes I get are most likely going to be shell...

8. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

2 different colored shell on that pair. I have few pairs of shell(6 pairs in total). One old pair of c&j Bradford now showing signs of two different shades. Don't have any AE branded cordovan shoes(yet). I think Alden makes the best cordon shoes. They are much shinier than any other and also since their waxy finish they don't have mismatchig problem.

9. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

This also occurs on my Lindricks.

But the boot is so nice I don't consider it such a big problem.
    [​IMG]

10. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

That's just the grain going in different directions.

11. meso

meso Well-Known Member

If anyone has a pair of shell walnut Daltons in 10.5 they are looking to sell (or has a lead on a pair), let me know! Cash in hand.

12. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Grey is a difficult color to fit into everyday rotations. That said, the gray Daltons look closer to black. I'd have to see them in some fit pics...

13. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but it's only noticeable in photographs. When you look at them in your hands under normal light they are a fairly uniform brown. Either way, it doesn't really matter...both pairs draw a lot of compliments. Though I notice that a lot of people call them "wingtips". I guess people who are unfamiliar with different shoe styles will default to that.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Yep, anything that works in my book! Recently realized I had 13 pair of shell and while I'm not superstitious 14 would be a better number so ordered the PA in black shell last week.
    You found it. Wait, I think we would be called enablers....
    I also have the Krause and 744's, nice pickups on both accounts! There is a flyer in the picture but for comparison of the tan vs. your burgundy Krause.

[​IMG]
    On some shoes and boots I actually prefer the different colors, it screams shell to me. Last month I wore the 744's to Az. for a week every day hiking in the desert and mountains and in the city in the evenings. One evening a lady in her early 30's came to my room who has a Masters in Art and has worked indexing art at Cornell, etc. She picked up one of my 744's and went on about how it was the most beautiful piece of footwear she had ever seen. She asked how much they cost and I told her, she was quiet for bit and then said they were worth every penny just on an artistic standpoint. And they are "mismatched" like yours.

Your correct about the wingtip thing too LOL. Last spring I was shooting skeet with my Bayfield's on and one of the guys on the squad picked on me saying he had never shot skeet with someone wearing wingtips before. I started to explain to him that they were captoes and he stared at me and said they were wingtips. He is a millionaire and land rich, he owns 2 sections of land (a section is 1 mile by 1 mile) that he lets me and the dog pheasant hunt on. So it was not worth it for me to correct him, that day my Bayfield's were wingtips. I ended up running the field and never dropped a bird, when I walked off station 8 on the last round I looked at him and said not bad for someone wearing wingtips.

15. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

Those are some gorgeous boots!

I just ordered the custom Neumok webgems in black and gold. The "gold" looks fairly tan-ish in the pictures online, which is what I'm going for. If it turns out to be more yellow, I will likely be using some walnut cream polish to darken it, or just showing off my Pittsburgh pride.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  16. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

I have a question as to the typical length of break-in time for an AE calf shoe and how much I can expect the shoe to loosen up in the toe box? I picked up a pair of the BB Strands in Walnut during the $130 and have worn them about 5 times now. The latest time was this morning to church and the right shoe is juuust tight enough to keep me from being entirely comfortable when wearing them. It feels like it is just squeezing everything from the ball of my foot forward and my foot feels much better when I get them off, even after the 2.5 hours I wore them this morning. On the first wear I got a sore pinky toe and haven't had that happen since then, but I also haven't walked nearly as much in them since that first wear. My left shoe is just fine - what I would consider a good dress shoe fit. Everything snug, but nothing squeezing or tight. I do think my right foot is slightly larger than my left as it isn't uncommon for shoes on my right foot to feel tighter than my left.

So I am wondering what my best option is?

1) Continue wearing, hope it loosens enough to become comfortable. I am willing to live through the break-in period if it would ever get to that point, but I am not sure how long it would take if it would.
    2) Buy a shoe strecher and see if that would help.
    3) Call AE and see what they can do for me. I am not sure if fit issues is something they would work with a customer on. I did try the shoes on prior to purchasing and I did mention the tight fit on the right shoe to the sales rep and he assured me the leather would loosen up. Would rather not go this route for a few reasons, but if there isn't a way to get them comfortable through another method I would probably just stop wearing them eventually which would be a shame.

Thanks in advance for the help.

17. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

They posted a picture on their facebook page to show the leather colors offered for the webgem Neumok.

[​IMG]

"For those of you interested in the current Custom WebGem, here's a shot of all the leather swatch colors... Keep in mind, these are untouched natural leather swatches... No finishing has been done... The colors have been ordered to match the Custom configurator - starting with Cardinal and ending with Maize."

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  18. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

If anyone has cappuccino shell or walnut shell in 12 eee they're willing to part with or has a lead on the same, pm me.

19. ircfas133

ircfas133 Well-Known Member

Could somebody tell me what is the difference between seconds and regular AEs? If they are used, then am I correct to say the only place to get them are on eBay? Also, I'm confused where and when do AE go on sale? I never seen they go on sale online... Thank!

20. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Seconds: Small and hopefully unnotecable faults from production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.