1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donjuan17

donjuan17 Well-Known Member

Very nice

2. khe86

khe86 Well-Known Member

Are the AE brown polish appropriate for the AE for RL brown shoes?

3. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Those are Wolverine 1000 Miles 744 LTD's in Cigar shell, basically a heritage remake of the original W1K. They were made by AE as a limited run of 1000 for Leffot and Epaulet, but there were tons of seconds. As of a few weeks ago at least, there were still a bunch of pairs available in seconds quality for $399 (- $50 during that sale = $349) through the various AE outlets. I bought a pair, they are hands down an absolute steal for shell cordovan, and they've totally been hogging my feet ever since.

4. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Well-Known Member

Honest inquiry. Do people who swear by AEs and own several believe they are superior in looks and quality to other competing makers, particularly Euro makers?

Or is it the value, or Patriotism, or what? I have a nice Independence Rush loafer, the second AE I've owned.

And must say I much prefer Italian makers to these, and British shoes that I've tried. No comparison in my mind on looks.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Competely depends. AE is what I would consider to generally be a mid range shoe manufacturer. I like them because I can get a good product at a fair price. There are some other manufacturers who offer a superior product, but the price goes up considerably in a lot of cases. Some European makers are indeed better than AE, but some aren't. AE fills a much needed niche in the shoe market and it is good for what it is. They will never be bespoke John Lobbs, but they aren't meant to be.

Also, on the question of looks, tastes are different in America than they are in Europe. AE is geared toward an American consumer. The silhouettes you'd see from European manufacturers aren't necessarily what will primarily be offered by AE, although there is some overlap.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. kyle55

kyle55 New Member

E are a great shoe for the price. Their shoes are handmade with high quality standards and their fit are superior. However there are nice shoes out there as in Italian made shoes usually have a much softer leather with a thinner leather or rubber sole on them. Europeans usually like the more "modern" look on shoes with a more slender look to them with or with out a small square toe. AE makes a higher end Italian line called Allen Edmonds Seven Collection. They are very high quality and can compare to my Antonio Maricie that look very similar and about the same comfert cost alot more then a frist quality AE. In this day and age you get what oyu pay for so all in all AE is a great shoe for the price. They also have great sales when you know what store to call at what date. Plus I you can't beat made in America either. I only wanted to add my opinion here as I do work for Allen Edmonds in the Leeds outlet store. Your Independence line are a great shoe with a gorgeous design on them. I really like the padded insoles that are made in that line.

7. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

I strongly prefer the look of most English-made shoes to AE. They look more elegant to my eye.

With that said, I own zero pairs of English shoes and five pairs of AEs. Why? Because when picked up at seconds sales, my AEs cost half of what a similar-quality English shoe would cost (for the really good sales, far less). With sales on firsts, more like two-thirds the price.

The difference in style isn't worth that much to me. It's good enough that I'm getting a very well-made product that looks far better than what 99% of men out there are wearing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

I honestly can't get behind the standard chisel-toe look of most European shoes. While C&J has some stuff I'd really love to own, I don't think I could wear G&G shoes with a straight face.

9. archangle13

archangle13 Well-Known Member

It really depends how much the toe chisel extends the length of the shoes. For this, the AE #5 last is ridiculous, and it isn't even chiseled.

10. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

Go with the one with more white. I ordered the same shoe with red instead of the blue (same sole). Same amount of white as yours with more white. Though I did add a white tongue. Really makes the laces pop. There isn't a doubt in my mind that these will be worn as a casual shoe. Chinos and jeans. The only suit I will wear mine with is my seersucker. This is not a dress shoe. Very fun though, and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  11. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Good feedback. I also like the brown welt which makes it a little better for going our for drinks in the evening and not just day wear. I have the Lubbock with the natural welt and it is quite light.

By the way, did you order your normal size?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

I've owned English shoes and Italian shoes (admittedly, no C&J or that level) but I have come back to AE because of comfort. Not sure it it's the cork footbed or special leather insides but I can wear my AEs all day without issue. With some English/Italian shoes, you get home and you have calluses on the bottom of your feet or you end up wearing them with bandaids for a long time until they break in. I do admit that, in general, overseas shoes are sleeker. However, AE sometimes will offer a sleek shoe like the AE Hinsdale (shortwing) or the Jackson.

13. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

True, white can be hard to keep clean. But part of the beauty of a casual shoe is that you let them get scuffed up and wear them with pride. I wish there was a cream color instead of white as it would minimize the contrast. The solid navy is an option but it is a regular offering of theirs and kind of takes the fun out of having your own design. Following the BB "fun" concept, you would add a orange vamp and a yellow tongue if you wanted to go cray-cray.

I don't know if we defer that much in shoes: 80% of my shoes and boots are EG or C&J in calf suede and cordovan--really standard SF fare. I have one pair of casual AE and two pairs or pre-SF Ferragamo and a few pairs of BB made in Italy stuff. This is much louder than anything I have otherwise.

14. GOP Shoe Guy

I have a pair of Neumoks already, so I am pretty confident I got my sizing correct. I really like the ones I have. I ordered the red & white with a buff split reverse welt, and then a all football leather with a buff split reverse welt. Can't wait. Both of these will be fun to dress up a casual pair of jeans or chinos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GOP Shoe Guy

My Brooks Brother's Strands arrived yesterday. Here they are on their inaugural run today at the office. I gave them a good conditioning and shine last night. I am very pleased with them. Sorry for the boring socks, I have a funeral later today, so I didn't wanna be to loud.
    [​IMG]

16. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I do like the red but I would have a hard time wearing them. I have quite a few pairs wingtips in various shades of brown, pebble, and cordovan so another pair of brown does not really excite me. Since you have experience with this model, did you order your usual shoe size in say C&J? Any thoughts on the natural welt vs the brown welt?

17. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I'll add to responses here, plus another topic I don't think anyone has brought up, which is construction.

Most Italian shoes are Blake or Bologna (a variation of Blake) constructed, not welted. So you aren't really comparing like to like in terms of construction nor aesthetics. I like Goodyear construction better, both because of the process itself, and also because I like the aesthetic of those shoes. So I would in most cases prefer an English or American shoe over an Italian one.

The next factor is price. The fact is, AE in general can't compete with the higher tier British shoe makers, but they also cost much less. Obviously, we aren't comparing AE to Lobb, G&G, or Edward Green; let's also toss out C&J, Trickers, AS, Church's, and some Cheaney, which are roughly double AE prices. That leaves Loake, Grenson, and some Cheaney. Here I would say that AE fits in quite well. Price is competitive, and then it comes down to styling. I like both AE and these makers.

I have personally owned several AE, C&J, AS, Trickers, and Grenson, plus I've seen lots of Loake, and I just bought a pair of Cheaney. The C&J, AS, and Trickers are out of AE's league, but also of their price range. The Grenson and Loakes I have seen are the competition, and honestly, they seem about on par with AE. I also think styling at this level is similar.

Now, getting back to the Italian shoes for a moment. Last year I was shopping for a dress loafer. I looked at every brand sold at Nordstrom, Saks, Niemans, and whomever else carried them. I ended up with the AE Verona and Lucca (three pairs, actually). These are from AE's Italian line, so they are Bologna constructed and made in Italy. I can tell you unequivocally that the AE Italian shoes are better made than any of the higher brands, until you get to maybe the $800 range. I'm talking about Ferragamo, Gucci, Tod's, Harry's of England - any of the big names. I also like the AE styling much better. I also have two of the older Seven collection shoes, and it is the same thing. I don't know who makes the shoes for AE, but these are the best sub-$800 Italian shoes on the market. No question in my mind.

Finally, I think your second to last sentence is valid - it is value, Patriotism, and, I might add, selection. AE makes good shoes accessible, and they have so many models. It's fun to see what's new and to buy a shitload when they are on sale. That doesn't take away from anything else, though. And it's the same in England. Take a look at some of the big shoe retailers there (Shoehealer, for example), and they have loads of models and custom makeups. But it's harder and much more expensive for us here in the US to access that, so AE is the one realistic source if you want quality shoes.

3 people like this.
  18. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you wrote here although I only have one pair of AE. SF ruined me when I purchased my first pair of EG and C&J and then proceeded to fill up my closet with them which left little space for AE.

However, I do take exception with the notion that Gucci does not make a good loafer. I actually own two pairs of Gucci loafers--one in black calf and one in brown ostrich. The black ones I have had for almost 5 years and just got them resoled. Both shoes are extremely comfortable and well made. Here are the ostrich in the "wild":

[​IMG].

In case anyone is curious about the Gucci loafer construction process here is a quick and interesting read. essentially, it is craftsmen making each pair of shoes with hand-sewn uppers, hand stained finishes, and welted soles:

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2011/05/24/made-in-italy-the-iconic-gucci-loafer/

19. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I have size 14AA feet. My mortgage and five-figure salary are in cahoots to prevent me from buying bespoke quite as often as I'd like. On eBay there are occasionally NOS Hanovers or Florshiems. Alden makes a few shoes in my size, or so I've heard -- I haven't actually seen any.

Allen Edmonds doesn't cover my size anywhere near as much as they used to, but they still provide enough to keep me in the essentials.

20. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Wow, I have to say, that Gucci process is impressive. Are the loafers welted, as the text says? Didn't seem like it on the ones I saw, but maybe I was wrong.

I didn't mean to say that Gucci does not make a good loafer (which it does sound like I said). But it's a much higher price point. Still, I had no idea they were made like this, either.

And clearly the AE Verona is a Gucci knockoff. But one of many knockoffs of that loafer.

BTW, whatever happened to your custom bag? Did you post pics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.