1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Well-Known Member

So I guess all the grey colors were a flop, I have a pair of the grey McTavish on the way from clearance.

2. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

I have purchased trees from all of the retailers I mentioned above, there is no difference in quality. I believe that the age of the trees has everything to do with the aroma (or lack of) rather than the store you bought them from. Nordstrom trees are generally more expensive, they likely sit in store longer, which may be why the cedar smell doesn't last as long.

If you expose new grain by sanding, the smell returns. They are less than $15; if I have to spend 30sec sprucing them up every once and a while, I'm ok with that.

3. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking regarding the grey shoes. But they seemed to have come to that conclusion awfully quick. Didn't they just bring out all those "shades of grey" like 3~4 months ago? Or did time just fly? I bought the granite grey Parkways on clearance and thought they looked pretty good. Not sure when I'll actually wear them though.

4. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, I've got a dilemma. I'm going to purchase two new shoes to add to my rotation. I've already decided that one is going to be the Clifton in brown. The next is a choice between the Sanford and Lombard in walnut. I'm looking for something that can be worn casually with jeans and slacks and possibly a suit; though I wear suits so rarely that that factor can be neglected completely.

Which would be the better choice? I already have three medallion cap-toes: Strands in walnut and black, and a Sanford in Merlot. I am lacking in the wing-tip department, with the McTavish in black being the only member.

5. adsmith4

adsmith4 Well-Known Member

+1 I get all of my shoe trees from Jos A Bank. I wait until they do their Buy 1 Get 2 Free Sale and you get 3 shoe trees for like $25. They also have the wooden shoe shelves by Woodlore and the sale works on that too.

6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

Since you don't have any walnut wingtips, I'd consider the Lombard. It's discontinued, but it's a great casual, wingtip blucher, and it would pair quite nicely with jeans.

The Sanford may be a blucher, but it would present itself very similarly to the Strand you already have.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Sanfords are way too similar to Strands to get both in the same color. I like the Lombard, but personally would not choose that if I already had Walnut Strands as well. I think your rotation would benefit more from a pair of boots (Daltons or Malverns), longwings in dark brown or bugundy or a plain toe.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I agree. The Sanford is a fantastic shoe. However, you already have it in merlot. I also agree that it is too close to the Strand to have both in the same color (it is essentially a blucher version of the Strand for all intents and purposes). Also, even though your Clifton is brown, the Sanford is quite close in design to it as well (with the exception of the medallion). Between the two, I would have to go after the Lombard to expand your wingtip options, or just save your money and get something you truely need (if boots will fill that need, go for them like New Shoes suggests).

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I had the same experience. I did not like the way to wings were on the MacNeil compared to my Ralph Lauren (Made In Italy) wingtips, but they definitely grew on me. I'm not sure if I like the wings on my MacNeils or my Marlow Wingtips better right now.

10. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Now that I've thought about it a little bit more, I'm leaning towards the Lombard as well. I already have a few boots as it is (Krause/Timberland/Clarks DB). Though if I find a black or brown Bayfield in CXL, I'll pounce on that.

I think I'll let Edward know that I want the Lombard. Thanks again for the help, gentlemen.

11. 2011Six

2011Six Member

Question... Does anyone have pictures of a burnished brown pair of AEs next to a pair of bourban? I'm on the fence between my next purchase. Most likely will be a park avenue or fifth in one of the two colors mentioned above but would love to see a comparison picture or any SF opinions to help me decide.

If it matters, I have a pair of black hales, walnut strands and a random pair of cordovan (colored) cap toes. Any advice is appreciated.

12. Berob

Berob Active Member

So I've got a modest collection of AE going and would like to add a wingtip to it. My current line-up consists of black PA, merlot PA, brown Fifth Avenue, walnut Strands, and burgandy shell Randolphs. I have seen the McAllister, MacNeil, Jefferson, and Cambridge (shell only?) mentioned frequently, but I'd like to know what model you prefer/recommend and why, as well as what color you think would be most appropriate for me given my current inventory. If it matters, I'm in commercial banking and wear a suit 4 - 5 days per week. Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  13. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Since you plan on wearing this with a suit, I would skip the McNeil, as it is a more casual shoe (longwing blucher).

I believe the McAllister, Cambridge and Jefferson are all basically the same design. The Cambridge is the shell version of the McAllister, and the Jefferson is the upgraded version of the McAllister in the independence collection (better leather and a few details basically). To further complicate things, I believe a bourbon version of the McAllister is available (called the Amsterdam), though I can't seem to fnd it on the AE site.

The McAllister in merlot is my recommendation, and is your cheapest option. I would skip black (save it for the PA) and walnut (you already have walnut strands). The merlot color works well with gray and charcoal suits, and possibly navy, though I haven't tried this. Shell, as nice as it is, is a less formal leather, as is the double leather sole of the Cambridge. They could still work with suits, though.

14. MoneyWellSpent

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't think I've heard that shell itself is considered less formal. Is that a personal belief or a mainstream "rule"?

15. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

The bourbon version of the McAllister was released through Urban Daddy as a limited run, using the name of Amsterdam. However, I've been lead to believe that it will appear on the AE website under the McAllister's color options within the next month.

As far as recommendations, I'd agree with msulinski.
    - The McNeil is a longwing blucher, which makes it absolutely casual in nature.
    - The McAllister is a beautiful, wingtip balmoral that comes in at a relatively low price point (relative to the following two). Picking it up in a merlot color would probably work quite nicely, and you could still dress it up. Going for a walnut or bourbon will push it more in the casual direction.
    - The Jefferson is an interesting design with a lower wing and some different accents near the eyelets. It looks great in person, and I'd consider it a bit more formal than the McAllister, but choosing it over the McAllister would be just personal preference.
    - The Cambridge would be a fantastic addition to your shell game, but there would be a definite price jump.

Looking at your current collection and circumstances, berob, I would probably back msulinski's merlot McAllister recommendation.

16. allysan1027

allysan1027 Active Member

anybody have experience buying from Ebay? There's a seller "hitch n post" which has a number of used styles under $100.

would that be a good idea? or should I stick to clearance/sales

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Hitch n Post is reputable and easy to work with. They also accept returns on most models.

18. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

My understanding is that it is a mainstream rule, or at least one widely adhered to on this forum. That doesn't mean you can't wear the Cambridges with suits, but I think the McAllister has the edge on formality with a combination of the single leather sole and calf.

Here are a few links I dug up on the formality of shell vs. calf:
    http://putthison.com/post/28843198980/the-navy-sport-coat-of-shoes-in-my-opinion
    http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=304&doing_wp_cron=1357766101.9037210941314697265625
    http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/106lx6/renalans_visual_guide_to_dress_shoes/

Edit: It appears the reasoning behind shell being less formal than calf is that it does not shine as well, as well as being more rugged.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  19. MoneyWellSpent

Well, you learn something new every day... I have to admit that this "rule" doesn't seem as obvious to me as all the others, but they people who write that stuff know their stuff.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

This is decent advice.

However, many men - and I mean many - wear MacNeils with suits. But I am not one of them.

The shell v. calf debate - as to the issue of formality - is an interesting one. I have two black captoe Bals: (1) Edward Green Chelsea (black calf), and (2) Alden black shell. If each pair was well taken care of, and shined nicely, and a survey was taken, say, of men (or women) who had any clue how to dress, one of two results would be produced: (1) a tie, or (2) the Alden black shell would be deemed more formal. And the smart money would be on option 2. There is no black calf, at any price point, that shines like Alden's black shell.

As an aside, IMO, AE has taken a step in the right direction with its new finish on its black shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.