1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Get the Cliftons. Then get the Delrays over the Lasalles at a later date.

2. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

probably asked a million times...but what's the main difference between the delrays and lasalles?

also...if #E size in 5 last, whats recommended on the 8 lasalle last?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I wear a 9.5E in the 5 last, and a 10D in the 8 last.

4. msulinski

Thanks for posting this. The Ashbury looks tempting:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF9072_1_40000000001_-1

Does anyone have experience with the quality of the distressed leather?

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of brown shell Leeds w/ natural sole edge! (I like it so much that I already have the Ralph Lauren version). Don't let that stop those of you who want this style though - if that is the one that we decide on, I'm sure that they will take care of me with an alternate design. I also like the Macneil in the same makeup.

I have a request for pricing in to them for a shell saddle shoe, in either brown or burgundy, with a walnut grain calf saddle section.

In other news:
    Some decent deals on the AE website - also got an email about seconds... (just in case someone out there didn't get it).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

...and a belated Merry Christmas, and happy New Year to all.

6. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Well-Known Member

The grey Eagle County is only $167.00 under the AE's clearance section. That's a pretty fantastic deal that I just might have to jump on!

[​IMG]

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

Looks like all the grey shoes are on sale, plus both colors of Eagle Creek. I'm getting the Hamptons in brown; can't decide whether to also get black. Another model I like being discontinued. But at least I get a great price on them!

8. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever have experience with wearing a different size in different styles (but with the same last)?

I wear a 7 EEE in the Kenilworth and 7.5EEE in the Park Avenue. I also wear a 7.5EEE in the lucca loafer, but the woman working at the store told me on all other lasts I'd wear an 8EEE. I was told even though the Kenilworth and Park Avenue are the on the same last, the Kenilworth is actually a longer shoe.

Anyway...great customer service story from AE (which started out as a poor customer service story):

Bought the Kenilworth about 3 months (needed them for a year down the road). They didn't have them in many sizes in the store, so the SA had me try on the Park Avenue - telling me that it will fit exactly the same as the Kenilworth. When they arrived they didn't fit me very well. There was a large amount of gaping at the sides near my ankles and I was clearly stepping out of the shoe. A few weeks later I decided to go back to AE and find out if this was normal (I have a weird shaped foot, so I reasoned that maybe lace ups just don't fit me very well, as I have mostly loafers). This time I went to a different store and tried them on. The SA said "those are the correct fit. wear them around the house a bit and the gaping/slippage will go away after they break in." I thought what he told me was a bit suspect, but I figured that they would know better than me...

After wearing them periodically around the house for a few months - none of the slipping/gaping what away. I felt really frustrated and went back to the original store of purchase. I tried them on for an SA that seemed like she had been working there for a long time. Right away she knew they didn't fit me well. She said "who was the SA that told you the Kenilworth/Park Avenue fit exactly the same? Yes, they are the same last, but the Kenilworth is a longer shoe. You have the wrong size."

Anyway...they exchanged them for the correct size (they had never been worn out of the house). And while I don't think they deserve any accolades for making the exchange after 2 associates gave me faulty information (especially the 2nd one) - I do think it is not always the norm for clothing stores to to give this service. They are extremely smart for doing so though! I have a few pairs from them now, as well as their shoe trees, socks, etc. and I expect to be shopping there for years to come. Had they been obnoxious and said "sorry. you are stuck!" they would have lost out on many future sales over $50 (as I'm sure they are still in close to perfect condition and I'm sure could be sold at an outlet for a few dollars less).

9. charliebrown2

bucks, how do you get email notices regarding seconds?

10. charliebrown2

Interesting that you went up a half size..hmm...

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

And down one width. The 9.5E & 10D are virtually identical in size.

12. msulinski

Supposedly the 5-last runs long and narrow, while the 8-last fits more TTS. I think it is typical for AE associates to recommend sizing down a half but up one width for the 5-last.

Also, I suppose the 9.5E is going to be shorter than the 10D in the same last. Since the 5-last is long, and my arch-length is longer than my overall length (short toes I guess), this made sense for me.

13. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

I got Clifton seconds in Dark Brown, from the AE Shoebank about a month ago, $129 plus shipping

14. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that as well and am pretty darn tempted as I don't own a boot in my rotation and $167 is a damn good deal. Just not too sure about that heel though as it strikes me as a little odd.

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I asked to be put on the list, by my local outlet. I am sure you can do the same with your outlet or the shoebank.

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Yes, and the fit will vary depending on the type of leather (cordovan/calf/suede/etc.). But even on the same last, there's not much difference between a 9.5E & a 10D overall. Though the change may be enough in one area of the shoe to cramp the toe box or loosen up the heel. So, it's certainly worth distinguishing between the two sizes.

17. lostron

lostron Well-Known Member

I actually wear the same size in both lasts and they both fit great

18. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

can anyone explain what it means for a foot to be "long and narrow"? doesn't that defeat the purpose of having shoe sizes/widths in the first place? fwiw, i'm a TTS 10D but can also wear a 5AAA as long as the last is ultra long and super wide.

19. jimney

jimney Well-Known Member

Is there any way to see a mock-up of the brown shell Leeds? How does the brown shell compare to the "truffle" and such that people have posted here? I might be very into this idea.

20. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

I would be up for either the brown Leeds natural sole or the MacNeil .... I also love the idea of the brown shell/calf saddle that sounds wonderful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.