1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

Please note that the discounted Bourbon polish is different than the new Bourbon offerings. Unfortunately, they still don't have a new Bourbon offered. Anyone know when it'll be offered? Someone said that AE told them that Bourbon is made by just burnishing Walnut, so maybe Walnut would do? I have a feeling it would lighten things up.

2. catside

catside Well-Known Member

IMHO the moctoe version of this is gorgeous. Not posting photo so I don't get yelled at :) Be careful on sizing though and try before you buy.

3. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

In my experience the walnut AE polish is actually not that light and is more of a chili color. I mean I used them on walnut Strands I had and they darkened them up considerably over time. I have bourbon shoes too and I was just thinking of using the AE walnut polish, though I'm not sure about it yet.

4. jjr4884

jjr4884 Well-Known Member

5. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

lol candy cane laces

6. zchen

zchen Well-Known Member

E recommends their walnut polish for the New Bourbon.....
    "For our new Bourbon Collection of shoes, we recommend using our Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish in Walnut.

Our Bourbon actually begins as a warm, walnut colored leather. After our burnishing techniques take place, we not only heighten the shine but imbue the surface with contrasting low-lights which results in a rich depth of color."

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

Guys I have to give a shout out to Jay with AE outlet he has gone above and beyond for me. If you don't have a regular salesperson please consider using him

8. catside

catside Well-Known Member

+1

Now I do have a regular person.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  9. Left Hand

Left Hand Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pair of MacNeils for a good price. I got a size 8, does anyone know where to find the insole length and width for their shoes? I tried their website but it doesnt work very well on mobile.

10. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Well-Known Member

11. Ketawa

Ketawa Well-Known Member

I'm going to be stopping by New York sometime in the coming weeks. What would be the best store to try on a bunch of AE shoes? Rockefeller Center, 43rd St, 44th St, or Madison Ave? I'm hoping to try on at least most of the lasts.

12. Left Hand

Left Hand Well-Known Member

Ebay $50. If I snatched them from anyone here.. sorry!

13. mingus2112

mingus2112 Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the others, but I like the staff in the Rockefeller Center store.

-J

14. PK35216

PK35216 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I sanded the edge off my ebay vintage burgundy shell macneils and then used the neutral AE edge trim, mottled with some chili edge trim, and I love the results. Granted, I bought the shoes for $45, but it worked out great. You might consider taking some tape and protecting the bottom of the leather upper while sanding the trim so that you don't scratch while sanding. It's easy to do. I don't think I worried about the top of the welt.

Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

I second this...Jay was very prompt and easy to work with. Due to the time difference (I'm in Germany and he's in Charleston) we worked everything out via email and now my new boots are on the way! Will post pics once they arrive. Also, don't forget to leave feedback on AE's website. (744 LTD boots)

Also, Kristle from Jeffersonville was just as prompt and easy to work with. (Krause boots)

Definitely will contact them after the holiday season dies down...

1 person likes this.
  16. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

I've been monitoring the 'bay for a couple of years waiting for burgundy shell gunboats to pop up in my size; I hope when I eventually get them that they look even half as good as yours. Well done!

17. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Wow those turned out great! Too nice to hide in a spoiler, Congrats. I am still waiting on mine in truffle Dundee's.

Oh that is rubbing salt into the wound, I really wished I would have thought to keep mine during the 2 for $200 sale and just sent them back for a resole. Outstanding.

I have the black cherry Beckman, 9011 IIRC. As catside said be careful of the sizing. I ended up with a 9.5 and I normally take a 10 in AE. The featherstone leather takes awhile to break in. When new they can take awhile to put on and take off which was a pain. The tread however is amazing and it works very well for the winter. I was wearing mine last night with jeans when I stopped to see my son at his place for a few minutes and as I was leaving he said nice shoes. Stopped me in my tracks, he has never said anything before about any of my footwear. They do make everything AE look very sleek in comparison. When a lady I've been seeing for awhile first saw me wearing them she commented how much they made me look like I just got off a shift up on the Iron Range or a loading dock on the North Shore. Not sure if that was good or bad, I do like them though I like the fit and overall look of the 1K 744 a little bit better.

18. Michael Haines

Until you stand in line for over an hour for the hobbit so you realize the sad state of affair with men's fashion especial footwear

Sporting Blue nuemok myself
    [​IMG]

19. Michael Haines

Actually cold iron was thinking of the black cherry to compliment a pair of 744 I have Jeff sending me.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Then IMO the 9011 is a great choice [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.