1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I have to say I much prefer the 'new' shell burgundy shade compared to the old burgundy shade. I love my Leeds & Macneil in burgundy shell but as has been mentioned, the newer ones seem much closer to Alden color 8 if you like that sort of thing (which I do).

With that said, the Alden PTB Barrie fit isn't great while the Leeds #1 last seems custom made to my feet.

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Question for anyone who may have experience here. I snagged some 10.5 D brown Long Branches during Black Friday from the Jeffersonville outlet. Got 'em for $195.00.[​IMG]When I recieved them, the right boot was beyond my tolerance for a seconds defect. I didn't take a picture, but the leather in the plain space just above the wingtip (where the creases should occur) was all wrinkled and stretched looking. It essentially looked like it had been creased sideways (perpendicular to the place the normal creasing would occur). So I had them send me another pair, and they arrived yesterday. They pretty much look perfect, and I had a hard time figuring out what made them seconds. The issue is, this time they sent me a 10 D by mistake. My heart sank at first, but I decided to try them on anyway. Wearing my normal dress socks, they were snug. I put the 10.5 D pair back on and decided that they may be a bit large if I am wearing the same dress socks (when I tried them on the first time I was wearing a thicker hiking sock). I am a 10.5 D in all my other AE's so far and I know the 1-511 last fits my foot perfectly. This pair of Long Branches almost felt similar to a 7 lasted shoe on my foot (and 7 lasted shoes do make my toes a bit more snug due to the taper, but I wear them anyway). I know it may just come down to a simple choice of wearing a thinner dress sock as opposed to a thicker hiking sock, but I am wondering if I should reasonably expect them to stretch just enough to end up fitting perfectly. Also, they have the thicker foam insole, and I am not sure if it will slightly compress over time allowing more room for my foot. Essentially, I am feeling like I may be slightly between sizes in this boot. In 10.5 D with thick socks they fit well, but with dress socks there is a little room for movement. In 10 D, with dress socks they are snug, and I assume thicker socks would be way too tight. I am inclined to keep them under the assumption that the snugness may alleviate slightly after breaking in and I will definitely wear them around the house for a few days before deciding. I just thought I would put this out there in case anyone has some words of wisdom. If I decide to keep them I'll post pictures soon!

3. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

Post pics of the 10.5 showing the creases. May be interested in them if you choose not to keep them. If you were so inclined to sell them instead of send them back of course.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help, gentlemen. I think I'll mull it over for a short while longer and see if I get used to the toe cap or not.

5. MoneyWellSpent

Sorry, I dropped them off with FedEx today on my way to work. I wasn't going to keep that particular pair regardless of my fit question due to the wrinkling. Sorry about that.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

It depends on your intended use. If you are going to wear them to the office, (i.e. usually with dress socks) then I would keep the 10's. If you were planning to wear them on weekends/casual attire / thicker socks, I'd consider sending them back and rolling the dice with another 10.5 (maybe check first to make sure there are others out there?). I have found with my own experience that ill-fitting shoes are not going to be worn.

On a side note, I got a very nice complement from the gentleman I was having lunch with today about my new Amsterdams, which I am wearing today for the first time, with a navy suit.

7. MoneyWellSpent

Thanks. My intended use will probably be a mixture of what you said above. I will be wearing them casually on weekends, but I also want them to serve as my rainy weather pair for work/church. There really isn't any reason that I can't wear them with my dress socks on a regular basis I suppose. Not to mention that thick socks during warm/hot months (even on rainy days) may lead to excessive perspiration.

8. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

No problem..just got excited.

9. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

Just received my elgins i ordered on BF $99 :)
    - what do you guys recommend using on these for shoe care?
    - AE leather conditioner/cleaner or leather lotion?

[​IMG]

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Pictures of them being worn with current outfit please?

11. bucksfan

Sure. Belt matches shoes, otherwise these pics will give you the gist: I toyed around with some socks that would match the burgundy color of the lining of my jacket, but ran out of time this morning. Suit is a MTM job from a local tailor, in somewhat heavy sharkskin. I'm pretty happy with the suit, though the trousers ended up a little baggy for my taste (probably more trad than SF-approved).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. catside

catside Well-Known Member

Myself, I love the old brownish AE shell color. It's pretty unique. Everybody makes shoes in regular color 8. Matters of taste, I guess.

Bucksfan, your suit looks great.

13. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I know this is a long shot, but anybody have a pair of Amsterdams in 11.5D they are looking to sell? Called outlet, price is back up to 200, and they don't have that size. Just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Wow man!!! Suit looks great and the shoes look stunning!!! Dare I say better than AE's walnut color? Those might be your best looking calf shoes. I can't wait for mine to arrive after that picture :slayer:. The space between the wingtip and the brogueing near the laces doesnt seem too short which is great IMO.

15. bucksfan

Thank you, I treated them with 2 coats of renovateur, and did a quick shine job with 2 coats of clear kiwi last night. I wore them through the rain at lunch, and took the picture after that... pretty impressive.

I hope yours come soon (and look great!)

1 person likes this.
  16. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

does anyone have any experience with the 1-511 (long branch, dalton, leeds), specifically, the Bradley model?

i'm a pretty solid 10D in the 5-65 (strand and neumok) and the 8 last (delray, clifton) so i figured based on the descriptions, a 10D in the 1-511 would also work.

the (used) Bradleys just arrived, and they are TINY. super tiny. i would think they were a 8.5D or 9D, not a 10D.

how do you guys adjust from your 5 / 8 last sizes to get a proper fit in the 1 last?

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I wear the same size (12D) in Malverns (1 last), Strands and Park Avenues (5 last) and Delrays (8 last). I find the Malvern to be more narrow than my 5 last shoes, but not as narrow as my 8 last shoes, which border on being uncomfortable.

18. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Interesting ...

5 and 8: 9D
    1: 10C and/or 10D

A 9D Malvern is downright painful. I got rid of my 9.5D Malverns because they were too tight for my liking.

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

you got that right ....

20. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Very nice rich-looking color. Great job! Makes me think about tinkering with various shoes/boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.