1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karembeu

Karembeu Active Member

Thank you. I thought it was a blob because well...it looks like a blob. But I think it's a D which makes sense since I have never worn narrow or wide shoes before.

2. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

FWIW, I ordered a pair last week after seeing them in person and I would agree with this assessment.

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Just snagged a pair of lightly used Patriots in calf half size down from my Brannock off the 'bay. Hope they're not too snug.

4. seer

seer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Now here is a boot I wish they would bring back. Simple, elegant cap toe. If anyone has a 10 1/2 D they would like to sell... PM me.

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

what model is that?

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Those are the Brantley. Great looking boots.

7. MoneyWellSpent

It looks like you switched out the original laces for some thicker round ones? When I saw the Aberdeen in person I was sort of turned off by the thin flat laces they come with. The laces felt extremely cheap, as if they would break in no time. Good looking pair you have!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Those are really nice. When did they discontinue them?

9. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

How do you know which shoes you can use the CYBRSHOE code with? Is there a way to tell if it will work without going all the way through the checkout process to that point? Thanks.

10. MoneyWellSpent

Way back in 1999. So if you find some they are already vintaged! By the way, I was inspired by your pictures of the brown Long Branch. I picked some up from the Jeffersonville outlet on Black Friday for a whopping $195.00. The SA even said that they are first quality (not sure why they were at the outlet if that's the case, but we will see). They should be arriving today. [​IMG]

11. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Good question, I think they are about the nicest looking boot that AE ever made. They came in black - and a burgundy shell too, I think.

12. badgerbrush

badgerbrush Active Member

Select your size, check to make sure that the shoe is shipped and sold by Amazon, then see if there's a banner below the price advertising the promo. No banner = no discount, I believe.

13. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I know that my question isn’t completely relevant in this thread, but this is really the only one I frequent here on SF, so I figured I’d post here as well. I have a pair of Paul Stuart Stuart’s choice shoes which are crafted by Grenson to their Masterpiece standards. It appears as if the sole of the shoes have some sort of soft, fabric-like top layer which is now wearing away. Does anybody know how to describe this properly? Are there any cobblers in Chicago, or anywhere for that matter, who can resole shoes to include this feature? I plan on contacting the store I purchased them from as well, just wanted to see if anybody had thoughts on SF.

Thanks,

Jon

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Pictures will get you in trouble!! [​IMG] Did you get the waxy brown or the dark brown? Either is a great choice. And $195?? That's way crazy! I think I paid $270 when they were on sale last month. I'm just not crazy about the grey ones. Well, I guess they're okay but I think I'd find them not versatile enough. The Long Branches are a great boot to just kick about in. Most of my boots have leather soles so these are great when the weather's not so good. Hope you really enjoy them.

I would jump on those Brantley's if they were available today.

15. Winston S.

When you say sole do you mean the bottom of the shoe or the insole on the inside of the shoe?

16. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I'm referring to the bottom of the shoe. Sorry for not being clear about that.

17. Winston S.

Welp, you used the correct wording, but I have no idea what this fabric-like top layering could be, unless it was rubber.

18. MoneyWellSpent

I got the waxy brown, same as yours. I was surprised by the price as well. They were already marked down to $275.00, and the Jeffersonville, Ohio outlet was willing to give me an additional 30% off for Black Friday. What you are describing is pretty much what I intend them for (jeans on weeknights/weekends during fall and winter, or maybe for work if it is going to be very wet). I wear chinos to work every day, so they should be fine for wet work days IMO. I agree on the grey ones as well. No offense to anyone who gets them, but up close in person the grain has a strange appearance to me. It's hard to put your finger on it, but it almost doesn't quite look like leather. The grey Aberdeen and McTavish are the same way. They are almost synthetic looking in their appearance (which you can't tell from the photos).

19. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Well-Known Member

Yeah I bet fabric on the bottom off the sole

20. MoneyWellSpent

You may need to post some pictures of that. I haven't ever seen this either, and an internet search didn't really bring up much. My first impulse, however, is to say that you will not be able to have a local cobbler replicate that. It is probably some sort of special concept thought up by Paul Stuart to make them different. Can you send them back to Grenson?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.