1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

What are some good products for shoe cleaning but not expensive?

Thanks,

2. Berob

Berob Active Member

Got an email saying the AE Bayfield could be had 40% off at Land's End through midnight tonight. Two questions: 1) Has this boot been discontinued by AE? I no longer see it on their web site. 2) How does the fit/last compare to the 5 last?

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Great deal - if I didnt already have a pair, I'd jump on that. I got 1 width wider than my 5- last shoes because I wanted to wear thicker socks.

4. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

Looks like it's going to be sooner than that. It's apparently opening next month. http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobId=114030243&WT

5. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

Just ordered my first pair of AE. Went with the Park Ave. to replace a pair of Cole Haan's. I'm assuming they'll be the first of many! Pretty happy with the service at the Shoe Bank. Thanks for all the recommendations throughout this thread.

6. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

These are quite handsome. Are these the brown leather?

7. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

The Neumoks are certainly my favorite AEs. Still contemplating a Cronmok with a mini-lug sole. Maybe next month.

9. OldManMachine

OldManMachine Well-Known Member

I kind of have a difficult situation that I hope the AE vets here can help me figure out.

- I used AE's online self sizing measurement and measured myself as a size 8.5D. I then went and placed an order on the Vernons 8-108 last in 8.5D

- Before the Vernons were delivered to me, I decided to make a trip to the closest AE store (30 miles away) and tried on the Rutledge 3-333 last and the staff sized me for a size 8D which fit me fine so I made the purchase. While in the store, I asked the SA that if I'm a size 8D for the Rutledge, does that make me an 8D for the Vernon as well? She told me yes, I'll be an 8D for the Vernon also. By now, I'm worried because I know that I have a pair of Vernon is 8.5D being delivered to me sometime next week.

- My Vernons have now arrived and after lacing them up, they feel like they fit my feet, the front and width of my feet feel snug except for some heel slippage in the back.

Now my question is if I should return these 8.5D Vernon and wait another 3-4 weeks for a size 8D Vernon? Is the SA correct regarding the sizing? I'm also worried of wasting time and the 8D Vernon may be too small for me since everything already feels snug except for the heel slippage. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can take photos of the Vernons as well if needed.

**Also, what is the usual normal length from where your toe ends, to the tip of the shoe? Is 1" to 1.5" normal?

10. AndrewN

AndrewN Active Member

Wow bucksfan, your collection of burgundy shell AE's is stunning!

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Unless you have a different offer/promotion, the Bayfield was not eligible for that promotion. Hope you had better luck.

12. mikeharo

mikeharo Well-Known Member

OldManMachine, my opinion: who cares what the size says if they feel good. The SA might know what the brannock says but she doesnt know how your feet feel. My suggestion: wear them around on carpet for a bit to make sure the arch fits where it needs to and go with your gut. Personally, I have shoes from size 7.5 to 9.5. They all feel great and I have no foot issues. Go with what feels good.

13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Well-Known Member

yup, the brown leather. looks a lot like natural CXL, i wonder if it will darken over time like CXL.

14. sqroot3

sqroot3 Well-Known Member

starting to look like the alden thread here...

15. sqroot3

sqroot3 Well-Known Member

if you are keen on keeping the creasing behind the cap, what may help is if you make sure the sole is broken in at the location of the desired crease BEFORE any heavy wearing. you can do this controlled creasing by kneeling carefully and switching sides. my best creasing results from six or so pairs of shoes over the past 3 months have happened when i've tried to pay attention to this. if you wear them right off the bat and wait for the creases to form, it's dealer's choice--the upper creases will fall preferentially where the shoe is most likely to bend (and the sole is a much more important factor than the upper with regard to this), and this may be too far forward for your liking.

this does not completely remove the possibility that the crease may sadly fall right in the middle of the cap, but it sure helps.

16. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

yea..these are nice. what "color" are they?

17. kentyman

kentyman Well-Known Member

See quote above.

18. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

image searched neumok brown leather:

[​IMG]

what am i missing here [​IMG]

19. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Well-Known Member

Agreed with mikeharo, go with the shoe that feels right... despite what the sizing is.
    In my experience, it has always been best to try on the shoe to ensure fit, even on the same lasted shoe styles.
    For me, heal slippage is a big red flag and something I would size down for. But, depending on the shoe, you may be able to minimize the slippage if the lacing pushes your foot back enough... boots seem to solve this better than shoes thought. Just be sure to keep width in mind too if you do size down.

20. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Well-Known Member

My avatar pic shows the Jeffersons in burnish brown and confirmed, they are exquisite shoes.
    The leather on Independence collection feels much more supple than the standard shoes (strand, etc.). And, they use a softer lining that gives a much more well broken in glove feel to your feet in my opinion.

My SF response would be to get both the Amsterdam and Jefferson if you could swing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.