1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apeatapple

apeatapple Member

Please help me to choose gentlemen. With the allen edmonds sale is about to end, do you guys think I should invest in buying a black Mctavish or a walnut Strand? The Mctavish is on sale for $230 and Stand is on sale for 285. Im kicking myself for not getting a pair of Strand during Nordstorm annual sale, which it was 220 back then. Do you guys suggest that I should save the money for now and get a pair of Strand instead of the black mctavish?

2. gooter

gooter Well-Known Member

Hard to advise given we don't know what you'll be using them for. I have both and enjoy both a great deal, you really can't go wrong with either. I know that isn't the answer you were looking for, but without knowing the circumstances you'll be wearing them it's hard to give good advice.

3. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I purchased saphir reno yesterday and applied it to my walnut calf daltons, followed by AE premium polish. What do I need to do to get a shine out of the shoes? While they look quite nice, they aren't really shiny like others I've seen. Thoughts?

4. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Well-Known Member

Tan Cronmoks ITW with dark jeans.
    VERY comfortable boot and would highly recommend them.

[​IMG]

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

^^^ I'm not sure the Cronmok differentiates itself enough from the Neumok. I'd like to see this with a mini-lug sole. Any opinions?

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Skip the AE premium polish, use the AE wax polish in neutral or the Saphir light brown polish. Spit shine to desired luster...

7. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

So you're saying use reno plus neutral wax or reno polish? U thought I recalled somebody saying they simply used reno and a chamois cloth and that worked wonders.

8. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

I have just ordered AE Walnut Calf Strand from amazon paid $230 including shipping. Always wanted them and thought price was good so pulled the trigger. Now i was also thinking of getting the Black PAs' since they are also on sale. Now I already have RL Slaton in black (also made by AE!).
    Should I skip the Black PAs' ?

RL Slaton-
    [​IMG]

9. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

What are you going to use them for? For ultra-conservative business dress, the black PA are the way to go, moreso than the Slaton. If you don't need to dress this way for work, then I would advise you go with a different, non-black shoe.

10. Grytter

Grytter Well-Known Member

#Evolved

Is that the Dalton? I love it!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  11. evolved

evolved Well-Known Member

Yep....thanks!

12. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

I also have those hopefully on their way soon. I have read the customer reviews extensively on the allen edmonds site, and many have had a similar problem. Some people had some luck changing the laces to others that are a bit more like the ones on some of their dress shoes. Seems like the leather treatment would be the cheaper, and possibly more aesthetically pleasing option. good luck

13. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Well-Known Member

Beautiful

14. etran27

etran27 Active Member

Hey, does anyone know the fit comparison between a split toe delray and a clifton?

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I have to say, those look like something Al Borland would wear on Tool Time.

16. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

Also, don't forget that you may have to resort to using a bit of talcum powder if the squeak is coming from the tongue area. Allen Edmonds actually has a few responses about this in their Q&A section on some shoes. They consider it a "normal" occurence since there is a texture difference between the leather upper on the tongue and the leather lining. They say that when two different types of leather come in contact, squeaking may result. I have a pair of Sanfords that have a sqeak to them, and after trying to eliminate it by rubbing in extra conditioner and polish it still wouldn't go away. After carefully examining them, I noticed that there is a slight up-turn in the top beading on the corner of the tongue on my right shoe. I think it is the slight bowing up of the top beading that is creating the extra contact and thus causing the sqeak. I'm gonna try some talcum powder next time I wear them to see if it does the trick.

17. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

The shoes are nice. The little dumbbell in the corner = lol.

18. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Well-Known Member

Jos A Bank is running their B1G2 promotion again. Go get your shoe trees and racks guys........

19. itsmejson

itsmejson Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a pair of of red sedona? What do you guys wear with it?

20. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Shoe trees only delivered in November though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.