1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carsnoceans

carsnoceans Member

I am looking for a pair of New Orleans black and Mcallister in walnut. What would be a good place to buy them for anything less than retail?? I have been scouring the internet and the past threads for several days but it seems only few selected models go on sale.

Is AE definitely worth spending $335/pair? I have never bought AE's (or shoes that expensive).... so on the edge about paying so much for a single pair.

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Picked up strands from Fedex this morning (had them held) for some reason the associate at AE didnt have them shipped to the store like I had the PAs done just 2 weeks before...still not a big deal.

Color is darker than I have seen here/in store. I don't know anything about polish but would love to get them looking similar to this finish [​IMG]

Any suggestions? I remember there being a discussion about a few different colors like 5 or so pages back walnut v chili. Associates at the store recomended walnut.

I have to figure out how to go about polishing etc, but want to put rubber soles on both these and PAs first.

It's been a long journey but after about 2 years I finally own a pair of strands.

3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

To lighten them, use the Cognac polish, not Chili. Chili is what you want for edge dressing

4. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

If you had purchased Allen Edmonds shoes before, I'd suggest checking with shoebank@allenedmonds.com to see what they have in your size.

Because you haven't: you might do best to find a reputable brick-and-mortar establishment nearby and trying on a couple pairs of shoes. The last 570 pages of thread have made it apparent that fit is the one thing you really oughtn't compromise. Once you know you're a 9.5E (or whatever) then order all the shoes you can afford! ...but a $335 shoe is worthless if it doesn't fit properly. It's totally worth the extra few dozen bucks you might save by going eBay or Shoebank.

Being a really wacky size myself, I happily pay full price if the shoe I want isn't available as a second or NOS on eBay. Good shoes are worth it.

5. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Well-Known Member

6. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Nice, I purchased the tan Mcs but was surprised how nice the black ones looked in the store.

7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Do many of you often wear black McTavishes with business casual dress? I have a pair, and so far, I have only worn them with jeans.

8. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

Bump. Anyone?

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the Strands. I am about to give in and order a pair of Strands in the brown calf.

Chris

10. Shiny

Shiny Well-Known Member

Look close to my AE Hale's, but maybe not (?).

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I believe those are a pair of vintage Cliftons. I saw an almost identical pair on EBay recently. At some point in time, the Clifton was apparently a balmoral.

12. peteyyytran

peteyyytran Active Member

Hey guys about to bite the bullet on getting my first pair of wingtips... anyone know anything about these FRYE james wingtips?

http://genuinegents.com/0fc5

The fatigue color is ugly as anything; but I am liking the ones for 92 (burgundy/blue/olive) Thanks!

13. lostron

lostron Well-Known Member

Same as you, however, i wear the McAllisters for business formal/casual

14. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Personally I have had trouble with Fryes in the past - the leather dye kept bleeding onto my socks. Why not AE shoes? They are made much better - worth the extra cost.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Because the guys on the Frye appreciation thread said not to buy AE's due to problems with seconds being passed off as firsts. [​IMG]

16. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Well they don't know what they are talking about. I have owned a number of Frye boot/shoes over the years - they don't compare to AE. Not even close.

17. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Beautiful photo - how'd you manage that angle, lol?

18. facet

facet Well-Known Member

Maybe they're the Van Ness?

edit: Nope, just noticed the heel is different.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  19. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Well-Known Member

For the price, they're fantastic...at least the couple pairs I own (the black w/ natural edge trim and a white wingtip with natural edgetrim). They aren't AE's, but I think they're much better than any of the other major mass-market shoe brands (J&M, CH, Florsheim, etc). I own over ten pairs of AE's so, I obviously love them, but some of the James wingtip models are pretty unique.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  20. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I googled Allen Edmonds Walnut Strand and looked for the color I am going for :tounge:

No that is not my pic, but I do agree good angle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.