• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric

Reaction score
Have a brand new pair of AE Van Ness in 12E
Black calf.

Let me know if interested.

Wrenkin

Reaction score

What are the added benefits? Also, when would the BBs be on-sale (I seem to recall that the corp sale last week didn't apply to them)?

They have a padded insole, combination heel, and there is a topy factory glued & stitched to the outsole. The sale did apply to them—they were about $250 with the corporate discount last week. My black Strands arrived today. You must be thinking of the cordovan shoes, which are normally excluded.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shot of my RL Sandersons (AE Williams) in action:

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

His Shell Cordovan Park Avenues are certainly made in the US. I think it is on the "ae by Allen Edmonds" line and a few other shoes that are made in the Dominican Republic. The website lists the country of manufacture for each model.

Well, none of the shoes are 100% made in the USA. The most significant part of the shoe (Uppers) are all made in the Dominican Republic.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Well, none of the shoes are 100% made in the USA. The most significant part of the shoe (Uppers) are all made in the Dominican Republic.

Not true according to AE's CEO. There is a plant in the Dominican that does sew uppers together, true, but they also do this in their US plant. All the shoes are assembled in their US plant. So there is no way to tell for any given shoe if it was "100%" made in the USA, or if the upper on that particular shoe was assembled in the Dominican. From my understanding this is not model dependent. So my Strand could have a Dominican made upper, and your's could have an USA made upper. No way to tell.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not true according to AE's CEO. There is a plant in the Dominican that does sew uppers together, true, but they also do this in their US plant. All the shoes are assembled in their US plant. So there is no way to tell for any given shoe if it was "100%" made in the USA, or if the upper on that particular shoe was assembled in the Dominican. From my understanding this is not model dependent. So my Strand could have a Dominican made upper, and your's could have an USA made upper. No way to tell. 

I think cordovan shoes are exclusively made in the US, including uppers, aren't they? And there is a line of shoes that is assembled in the DR, but it's clearly stated on their website.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Yeah, my statement only applies to their "standard" range leather shoes. No idea about the shell models, and as far as I know the AE line are completely made in the DR.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a padded insole, combination heel, and there is a topy factory glued & stitched to the outsole. The sale did apply to them—they were about $250 with the corporate discount last week. My black Strands arrived today. You must be thinking of the cordovan shoes, which are normally excluded.

Some prefer the BB version and some prefer the AE version. I've heard complaints about the BB version involving the poron insole and raves regarding this same version due to the comfort the poron insole adds. YMMV.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Taking delivery of my Kenilworth seconds today. I ordered my regular park ave/strand size. I ordered a couple of tongue pads just in case from http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/arch_support_accessories.htm . For 42 cents and 50 cents for shipping, its probably worth a try.

I took delivery of my kenilworths last friday in my regular 5 last size, and I was surprised that they weren't as loose as some made them out to be. I did not need to use the tongue pads I ordered from feet relief. They fit quite similar to my McAllisters (a tad higher in the instep vs the strand and park aves). Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with the McAllister?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay so I need some help:

My convocation is in a couple weeks and I will wear a medium gray suit. The problem is the only good dress shoes I have are AE Strands in walnut color. Seems like most would not wear the Strands with a suit, let alone in a walnut color. So am I better off just wearing cheap black dress shoes instead?

Or is there a place in Toronto where I can pick up AE dress shoes for ~$250? I don't have time to order online.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My convocation is in a couple weeks and I will wear a medium gray suit. The problem is the only good dress shoes I have are AE Strands in walnut color. Seems like most would not wear the Strands with a suit, let alone in a walnut color. So am I better off just wearing cheap black dress shoes instead?
Or is there a place in Toronto where I can pick up AE dress shoes for ~$250? I don't have time to order online.

Walnut Strands look great with light to medium gray slacks. Yes, the walnut color and the brogueing make them somewhat informal for a suit, but I do not see why you could not wear them with a medium gray suit. It will be better than what most of your classmates wear. Try it out for a day and see how you like it.

scrolls

Reaction score

Either your convocation is wayyyy different than mine was or you are going to be massively overdressed. Either way, those shoes should go fine with a gray suit.

itsmejson

Reaction score
I went to the AE store today to get fitted for a pair of strands
and a had a couple questions.
- I tried on a 10E. the fit was good however it felt a little loose
in the toe box and there was slight heal slippage.
- do you think it would be better to drop down to a 9.5E or 10D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads