• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstunbound

Reaction score
Any idea if Nordstrom will have AEs for cheap as part of their summer sale in a couple weeks?

smilelouis

Reaction score
Not a big deal but I'm still slightly perplexed how people are getting quoted strands for $169. I checked with the shoe bank and 2 other reps I've bought from consistently, and all 3 said it is $199 for the walnut for either the BB or non-BB versions.
Don't be perplexed!
From 15t to 28th, it is the memorial day sale, everything in the shoe bank is 15-45% off.
the regular price for BB Strand, fifth Ave and Park ave is $199, and after 15% off it comes to %169. btw i bought BB Strand and fifth Ave for this price.
AE strand walnut is $259 and after discount is $199.

imanewbie

Reaction score
I would say Leeds, but they are relatively casual and not sleek.
cool thanks not looking for sleek so i will pick the leeds then based on your opinion. Wanted something for everyday wear and the goodyear welt I like the stability of them in any shoe so that sways my decisions also.

ganagati

Reaction score
I’ve recently had an experience with Allen Edmonds that I hadn’t expected. I picked up my second pair, the Malvern Chukka, from their store in Plano. Not long after purchasing them, I noticed that a large portion of sole at the tip had been ripped out.

I called customer service, who apologized profusely and asked that they be returned for replacement or repair. They let me know that the there were some issues with tension around the stitching, and this had happened a few times, and a new process had been implemented to correct for it. As they’d begun to be broken in, I opted for repair.

A few weeks turnaround, and my newly repaired shoes were in. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before a new issue arose. There was delamination in the toe. For a shoe that was supposed to last a lifetime, this was unacceptable. They weren’t making it two weeks. I once again called and spoke with CS, who was just as surprised as I was. They offered to send me a brand new pair, and I accepted.

Less than a week after the new pair shows up – same thing. I’m beyond annoyed at this point and very frustrated. How does this keep happening? I try to figure what they can do at this point to make it okay, and so once again, I’m on the phone with CS explaining the situation. They review their notes online and explain what could’ve happened. Apparently, in a very small number of shoes, they’ve seen this problem. They went from stitching the sole to cementing it, then to using a different form of cement. I happened to have gotten three of the poorly constructed ones.

So what now, I ask. Well – they offer again to replace the shoe; it’s a great one, after all. And for my inconvenience, they offered a free pair at less or equal value. Wow. That’s not something I’d expected. After years of dealing with the customer service of cable, phone, cell phone, and credit card companies, I had expected little. This, however, was outstanding. This must be why Allen Edmonds has the reputation they’ve got.

After searching online, I decided to forgo the chukkas altogether, and requested the cordovan Norwich. “Not a problem,” they said. “You’ll have them in two to three weeks.”

So after issue upon issue, frustration upon frustration, I am left impressed and satisfied. Thank you Allen Edmonds.

Last edited:

LeJouvre

Reaction score
So after issue upon issue, frustration upon frustration, I am left impressed and satisfied. Thank you Allen Edmonds.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Allen Edmonds rocks us all again!!

whoot!

imanewbie

Reaction score
Damn WOW.....good deal.
I’ve recently had an experience with Allen Edmonds that I hadn’t expected. I picked up my second pair, the Malvern Chukka, from their store in Plano. Not long after purchasing them, I noticed that a large portion of sole at the tip had been ripped out.
I called customer service, who apologized profusely and asked that they be returned for replacement or repair. They let me know that the there were some issues with tension around the stitching, and this had happened a few times, and a new process had been implemented to correct for it. As they’d begun to be broken in, I opted for repair.
A few weeks turnaround, and my newly repaired shoes were in. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long before a new issue arose. There was delamination in the toe. For a shoe that was supposed to last a lifetime, this was unacceptable. They weren’t making it two weeks. I once again called and spoke with CS, who was just as surprised as I was. They offered to send me a brand new pair, and I accepted.
Less than a week after the new pair shows up – same thing. I’m beyond annoyed at this point and very frustrated. How does this keep happening, and I try to figure what they can do at this point to make it okay. So once again, I’m on the phone with CS explaining the situation. They review their notes online and explain what could’ve happened. Apparently, in a very small number of shoes, they’ve seen this problem. They went from stitching the sole to cementing it, then to using a different form of cement. I happened to have gotten three of the poorly constructed ones.
So what now, I ask. Well – they offer again to replace the shoe; it’s a great one, after all. And for my inconvenience, they offered a free pair at less or equal value? Wow. That’s not something I’d expected. After years of dealing with the customer service of cable, phone, cell phone, and credit card companies, I had expected little. This, however, was where outstanding. This must be why Allen Edmonds has the reputation they’ve got.
After searching online, I decided to forgo the chukkas altogether, and requested the cordovan Norwich. “Not a problem,” they said. “You’ll have them in two to three weeks.”

LeJouvre

Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the delamination? I would really like to see where the disintegration started.

Did you have Topys put on them or anything? Sometimes when moisture get trapped and does not pass through the sole you get the same symptons.

ganagati

Reaction score

Do you have any pics of the delamination? I would really like to see where the disintegration started.

Did you have Topys put on them or anything? Sometimes when moisture get trapped and does not pass through the sole you get the same symptons.

The delamination began at the tip. It was as though a slight misstep resulting in a stub of the toe had pulled the sole from the base of the shoe. With the repaired shoe, I could easily have slid a credit card between the base and the sole - perhaps a few cm deep. The brand new pair, after only a week, wasn't quite as bad, but after owning the shoes for several months but getting only a couple weeks wear, I wanted them to be flawless.

As for your second question, I'm not sure what a Topy is. However, the fact that they have changed the process for a second time leads me to believe that it was a known issue, and I was simply unlucky in getting one of the small fraction of shoes affected by it all three times.

Last edited:

ganagati

Reaction score

Damn WOW.....good deal.

I'm very grateful to them for stepping up and standing behind their product, though, I would have been happier with my original purchase and no issues.

Also, I suppose this is, I said in my original post, a great example of how they've built such a stellar reputation. It's refreshing to see a company interested in building long term relationships as opposed to focusing solely on this quarter's results. I know they've won me over as a customer - so much so that, in my search for the consolation shoe, I found two. One, the cordovan Norwich, was on their dime. The second, a pair of black Flatirons, on mine. :)

Storm33

Reaction score

It is great to be enthusiastic about an American product like Allen Edmonds, but, we also need to realize that not all their shoes are manufactured in USA. It would be wise to find out which shoes are actually Union made USA and which ones are made in places like the Dominican Republic.

USA manufactured AE shoes are far better quality.

It's funny you mention that. I only have one non-U.S. manufactured pair - my Santa Monicas for poor weather casual wear - and despite being worn in rain, snow, salt, etc. they have held up remarkably well with regular brushing, polishing, and shoe trees.

My chestnut-walnut Hillcrest (U.S. made, owned for at least five years) have been fine.
The brogueing on my chili Birminghams (U.S. made, owned at least five years) broke/tore on a crease, and AE graciously repaired them as close to new as one could expect. Good service!
The troubled history on my mocha Drydens (U.S. made, owned about four years) is already documented in my other post - heel base separating from welt; still not fixed right after two attempts.
My black Burtons (U.S. made . . . I think) had no manufacturing issues that I know of, just didn't work with my feet. Sold 'em.
My walnut Strands (U.S. made, owned about two years) have a similar issue - heel base separating from welt.
The black and red Ridgeway web gems (U.S. made) that I ordered in March arrived with glue slopped all over the edging; went back to AE.
My McTavish (U.S. made) are rockin' - only about five days' wear on the clock.

Then came the shell cordovan PAs, where my expectations were admittedly high. Perhaps unfortunately, I had some high quality benchmarks in my pair of Alden cigar shell longwings and my C&J for Ralph Lauren shell Marlow PTBs. Even after two applications of cordovan care cream and a LOT of brushing, it seems like the AEs just aren't going to measure up to my other shell cordovan shoes. I hope that the replacement pair will leave me pleasantly surprised.

Ultimately, I don't think that the country of manufacture should have a lot of bearing on the quality of the product. It's more about the quality systems that are in place, the competence of the employees, and the pride that they take in their craft.

Sleven

Reaction score

Any idea if Nordstrom will have AEs for cheap as part of their summer sale in a couple weeks?

Anniversary sale will give you the better options, while the Half-Yearly had some marked down. However, Brooks Brothers AE's are worth the premium because of the added benefits.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom Anniversary sale is the best one for AE's. Typically black Park Avenues and Walnut Strands for $199.

dstunbound

Reaction score
Anniversary sale will give you the better options, while the Half-Yearly had some marked down. However, Brooks Brothers AE's are worth the premium because of the added benefits.

What are the added benefits? Also, when would the BBs be on-sale (I seem to recall that the corp sale last week didn't apply to them)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads