1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Dude, I don't know what's better, the shell or those herringbone pants. Wow. Details, please?

1 person likes this.
  2. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

Couple of quick questions.
    1) does the 1st ave boot have a single leather sole (it looks that way from the picture) or something similar to Daltons's sole in thickness?
    2) Is the 20% off clearance just on firsts?

Thanks

3. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

How long have you had your Cognacs? Have they darkened? Every time I see your pics, I think mine do not have any of the red tones yours do. And they're stamped 4045 inside the shoe (and on the box). But they have the dark welt and edge. I wonder if they're tan uppers with a dark welt. Love 'em anyway and wore 'em today. I think they'll eventually darken as they age. Still drives me batty though. :crazy:

Edit: mine look most like @ace13x's pics at this post:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/...eviews-pictures-sizing-etc/69975#post_8292853

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

See, I'm the opposite. I have a stand up desk at work (it's better for my back). While I've found my switch to quality AE shoes with noticeably better sole and support has helped, I mentioned the lightness of my Strands to further emphasize how much better my feet feel when I wear them. Literally no standing fatigue after an 8 hour day!

Maybe I'm just a weakling, who knows? :butbut:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I received my bourbon Strands from the 6pm sale, and I love them already.
    [​IMG]
    This is one more reason I need to get a few more shoe trees.

3 people like this.
  6. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Every time I polish these, they get prettier.

7. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

On item 2, thru sunday, the clearance seconds are marked down as well, but the loafers I orders were $157.60 while the 2nds at the shoe bank are $157 even.

I spot checked a couple of dainite shoes as well and they were all withing $4-5 of the shoe bank prices.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Item 1 - not sure, I guess I always assumed it was a single and not double butyl.
    Item 2 - if AE is not like the nyse and past is an indication of future performance, they'll say hurry, 20% off 1sts, then after the 15th, the clearance prices of the remaining 1sts will be reduced by 20% (or maybe less), and the 2nds will be the new price minus 20%. If that makes sense. So for some 2nds it would make sense to wait and see.

wanted to mention - I was clearly told by multiple SAs that returning 2nds to a concept store would 100% result in a restocking fee - in the past this was usually waived.

9. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

They're actually from Club Monaco made with fabric from the "British Isles." I like them too and so much so I accidentally bought a similar pair of Rugby tweeds. Still like them both very much though.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Really great shots, there! I feel like the dark brown calf strands are underrepresented on this forum. We usually just mostly see brown shell or walnut calf...
    See, that's what I would think, but literally all 5 of my AE cordovan pairs are in the same thinnish ballpark, whereas both of my Carmina pairs are super thick.
    Aw, I'm sorry the little one isn't well. Mine was sent home with yet another stomach virus yesterday. Aargh. Poor guy. The Monave is an older model, unlined from 2 falls ago. The Gobi was last year, so that may be why you see more of them.
    I would just call them.

2 people like this.
  11. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

3 people like this.
  12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

I have both the black and the burgundy and am a fan. Got them both from the Shoe Bank. I couldn't discern any meaningful defects.

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Quote:My cognacs are definitely 4045 (stamped in the tongue). My tans are 4035 (stamped on the sidewall). My pix of the cognac show the red tones slightly more and the shoes overall are slightly darker, but the pix are pretty accurate overall. I think they've deepened but not really darkened during my six months or so of ownership. I think the tone on yours looks really good, and I'd guess they'll only get better with age and patina.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  15. jexbrah

jexbrah Active Member

To start, I live in Canada so there aren't any AE stores I can go to and most of the stores that do have AE come with limited selection and widths (D and 3E typically only). I'm interested in purchasing a pair of the Mora 2.0 and possibly a Park Ave/Fifth Ave. I have fairly wide feet and a good sized instep. Now, I've printed out AE's shoe fit guide where you stand on a piece of paper and measure your foot and the size was 9.5 2e. In person I was able to try on the following:

Carlyle 108 last in the following sizes:
    -9.5 3e: seemed to be good at the middle and toe box but the heel area was loose bit loose
    -10D: seemed to be a good fit. snug all around but not tight (vamp had maybe about 0.25-3/8" opening). I think the balls of my feet may be about 0.25-0.5" behind where I think the balls of the foot should be (where the shoe starts curving into the taper). I'm not sure how important this is though.

Park Avenues:
    -9 3e: seemed to be good at the middle and toe box but the heel area was loose
    -10d: I think it was a decent fit but not the best, vamp had a bit of an opening maybe about 3/8"-0.5" at the top. Bit harder to get into than the Carlyle

Now my questions are, given that the last is the same on the Carlyle and Mora, Would say that its pretty safe to go with the 10d or should the 9.5 2e fit better based on the AE shoe fit guide?
    As for the Park Avenues, should I just skip those until I'm able to somehow get my hands on a 9.5 2e or a 10e?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Eric Pease

Eric Pease Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmale.../unadvertised_sale_for_allen_edmonds_seconds/

I first checked Shoebank to see if they had the brown First Ave boot in my size. wasn't on Shoebank but I called and they had them: First Ave for $249. Worth a call.

Again this is only at Jeffersonville and are seconds:

Lasalle $279 now $179
    Addison $239 now $189
    Badlands $239 Now $189
    Maxfield $219 now $169
    Neumok $219 now $169
    Leeds 2.0 $299 now $199
    MacNeil 2.0 $299 now $199
    Grayson $299 now $199
    Randolph $299 now $199
    Mora 2.0 $299 now $199
    Ascher $299 now $199