1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

A fine example side-enabling. I salute you.

2. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

As a relative newbie here, I would add that I would be interested in a reference source for intermediate and advanced maintenance techniques. Perhaps there is a thread on mirror-shining, but I am stuck in this one thread, and hesitant to bog it down with technique questions.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

**THE OFFICIAL SHOE CARE THREAD: TUTORIALS, PHOTOS, ETC.**

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc

4. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@BackInTheJox I thought you said you had both already? I have the non-BB Duke and have actually been considering a Kenwood, weird. Anyway, I went with a 7D on the Duke (my typical size), and the fit is just incredibly sloppy/large. With heavy socks I still get heel slip, and even bowing in the left, which is extra strange considering the material is pretty stiff. For casual I find myself reaching for the Maxfield and Rye all the time. Unless the BB version was such an upgrade, no way id recommend it. Why not switch it up with a Sanibel - if memory serves, the fit was just like the Kenwood (I tried both at the same time).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@cc808314 The Kirkwood runs much more tts in length. I went down a half size in length from brannock (meaning I went with typical size) to compensate for the fact that they are wide-ish plus cxl. Fit is good - in a gold cup id be smashed up against the front of the shoe but in these I have just enough room. I'd say go tts, b-width if you can, otherwise down length like I did.

6. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Totally forgot - after I couldn't find out any more info, I contacted cac about the sequoia - it turns out they pulled it from their planned offering, so anything they made was immediately put onto shoebank. @BackInTheJox maybe another alternative.

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, I'll look into those.

I had probably said at one point I was looking into getting both. Actually, when I bought my Kenwoods, it was sort of by mistake. I had been looking for those BB tartan loafers and wasn't sure what they were listed under, so when there was a sale I bought both the "Kenwood Brown/Blue" and the "Duke Chili Tartan Plug." The latter was the one I was looking for, but I soon realized I had no actual occasion to wear them most likely; however, I really dug the Kenwood so I kept them, despite the narrow toebox (I'm usually an E and sometimes EEE and they only came in D). They've stretched a bit but are still somewhat narrow.

The Duke (at least the BB tartan version) actually fit me better, at least out of the box. I don't know if it would have stretched too much and become too sloppy. But if the football leather Duke fits like the tartan version did, I think I could certainly live with that.

8. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Perhaps a little shorter than 5-last but not much. I definitely would not have dropped down a half size in length, but I'm on the shorter end of 5-last. As @Neo1 mentioned, you have plenty of play in the soft cxl.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  9. velvel87

velvel87 Well-Known Member

Anyone heard any recent news about the AE Factory store supposedly opening up this month in the Bergen Town Center in Paramus, NJ? I was told by AE last month that it was scheduled for Feb 22, but that nothing was official until I received a store opening notification from AE. Anyone hear anything? Was the opening pushed back again?

10. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I received an email that 6pm has 10% off today, and decided to see what AE shoes they might have today.
    Short story -- I picked up a pair of first-quality bourbon Strands for about $174. This is my only bourbon shoe, and I finally got the Strand.
    They had some other good deals too. You might want to check them out.

11. robster35

robster35 Well-Known Member

dang all 6pm has in strand is a size 14

12. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I got the last one in my size.

13. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

It was CXL-brushing day...

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I talked to the manager of this store in person a week ago and she said the store was opening the end of February as far as she knew.

15. Dario65

Dario65 Well-Known Member

Those look great. I need more chrome leather, rubber soled shoes. (Mission speaker in the background? If so, good job there.)

1 person likes this.
  16. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Old Monitor Audio Silver 5i's - had them forever...

17. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I will give 9b a try and play with shorter D widths. For reference, I had picked up some Sperry topsiders from BCF since they were so cheap. In 8D, my big toe was right up there touching the front and the width was just slightly wide. I was swimming in 8.5D.

18. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

So what was her name? I remember you talked very highly of her.

19. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Got these from the bay BNIB Ralph Lauren singleton (made by AE). Really like the moc toe stitching on these and also that these don't have the full strap like Randolphs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Very nice, one of my favorite AE offerings. What size are they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.