1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fieldsheer

fieldsheer Member

Yes i did. That is also precisely why i had them added. It was to eliminate the vamp from "crumpling" around the laces.

2. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Happy Friday, gents! My @parkman24 special today. Man are these comfy!

In terms of fit, I'm 9D (perfect 5-last would probably be a 9.25 and between a D & E) for almost all AEs. My Daltons in 9D should probably be 9E and these 9E LBs should probably be 9D - but I'm not complaining, especially for the deals I've gotten. And... that justifies buying more socks in different weights.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. parkman24

parkman24 Well-Known Member

Wear them in good health! I'm glad you swapped the original laces for the red ones! They look great [​IMG]

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I think I have as much fun shopping for socks for specific boots, shoes as I do shopping for boots

5. manowar

manowar Well-Known Member

For boot socks I find that STP is a great place to get Smartwool or Icebreaker.

I like the red laces with walnut as well... I put the red laces from my Long Branches on a tan Horween pair by Woolrich and it really makes the boot.

6. cevaro

cevaro New Member

Long time lurker (aka shoe-drooler), but I'm at a loss for what I should procure next. I'm a concierge tech for SF financial district execs but not a banker, and while appropriately dressed I'm rarely suited up. Since the past few years haven't been too wet I've been able to shuffle around rainy days without destroying my leather soles. However this year is much different and I'm in need of a rainy day option.

AEs I currently own:
    Black Cliftons
    Brown Jeffersons
    Walnut McCallisters
    Brown LongBranches

[​IMG]

So with the rainy day sole parameter, and was thinking either something w/dainte sole or picking a BB version of a classic (since they have the v-tread (right?).

Current sale has options that fill out the color wheel, but I'd like views on what [other] single pair fits both a varietal and a weather-based need:
    Dk Chili McGregor w/dainte
    Dk Chili Lexington w/dainte
    Black BB Strand

much appreciated, gents!

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Gentlemen, this has been an awesome thread, but it's time to start a new Allen Edmond's thread. This thread has gotten much too heavy for the forum. From hereon in, I'll be closing and starting these megathreads annually, so that we get into a good schedule, rather than waiting until the thread becomes really heavy to load, before springing this on you guys.

There are a couple of ways to do this - we can start completely fresh, with a respected member here starting the new thread, maybe with a short intro and FAQ on the OP, and with the last post on the old thread linking to the new thread, or we can take the last 50 posts or so and make a new thread that way. Again, the last post on the old thread would link to this new one, for anyond who hasn't gotten the news.

Opinions? I'd like to do this early next week.

Cheers,

Fok.

8. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I nominate @peppercorn78 to start the new AE thread.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I'm sick of the same old shell Kenilworth shots every single time - I nominate either you or watchidiot (the real jedi masters).

1 person likes this.
  10. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Maybe the others will have a completely different opinion, but I wouldn't go with any of those for a rainy day option. Usually when it rains, my go-to is the Aberdeen. I've also worn the Gobi and Black Hills in the rain. I'd go with something not in smooth dressy calf, maybe grain leather or CXL, and a mini-lug over danite. No way I'd want to ruin a BB strand like that.

11. LA Guy

Any of these suggestions would work for me. It's whoever the community decides.

Cheers,

Fok.

12. otterhound

otterhound Well-Known Member

I have two pairs of shoes on the 65 last (Strand and Park Ave.) and one pair on the 201 last (Bartlett). FWIW, I've noticed that the Bartlett on the 201 is noticeably snugger in the arch area (snug from side-to-side, not from top to bottom) than my 65 last pairs. Otherwise, they feel pretty similar.

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

14. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

I think they'd look great with spring/summer odd jackets. IMO, the downside is keeping them clean. I used to own a pair of shoes with canvas panels and I had to pay something like $45 to get them shampooed by my cobbler. It was a casual pair so I tried limiting that service to once or twice a year. The Carlyle is a little dressier and I would be concerned about 'total cost of ownership.'

15. LA Guy

@peppercorn78 @watchidiot and @JSO1 as your new thread starters.

What say you, Allen Edmonds community?

1 person likes this.
  16. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. @watchidiot you should start the thread with that family shot of your collection all in a circle, I drool every time I see it!

17. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

@jzrhwinnj? He has a wealth of knowledge and a great collection. Too bad @garland isnt around anymore.

18. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Just snagged a pair of mint Bradleys on eBay for $80. Happy weekend to me! My first split toes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Aye

20. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

Dark Chili Dainite Lexington gets my vote. I'm in the SF Bay Area too and I bought mine pretty much for the same reason as you. I also wear my Varno 2.0, Dalton, Benton, Rush Street, Alden 9432S, and Alden 1272S on rainy days.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.