• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyort1

Reaction score
I would recommend most user NOT use Renovateur on your burnished calf shoes UNLESS the desired result is to strip away the burnishing. My formerly heavily burnished walnut Ritledges are now simply walnut Rutledges after a single light coat.

As a cleaning agent for shell, or on black calf shoes, it does work very well.

But for the gentleman who is trying to alleviate the small stray burnishing mark, it should work nicely.

Yes, my point exactly. Reno removes burnishing. Especially if you apply it with a cloth or a brush. Using your fingers tends to affect burnishing less. But the simply fact of the matter is that the AE burnishing tends to come off no matter what you do. It's not a dye, its basically just a polish they add at the end. So best thing to do is learn how to burnish shoes yourself, so you can maintain (or even improve) on what comes stock from the factory.

OK, hopefully images will work this time. Before:

After:

LanceM

Reaction score

My new to me brown shell Jeffersons. Had gotten them to a nice glow until I saw the weather outside today and had to put on my SWIMs which dulled them a little.
Those are beautiful!

LanceM

Reaction score

Yes, my point exactly. Reno removes burnishing. Especially if you apply it with a cloth or a brush. Using your fingers tends to affect burnishing less. But the simply fact of the matter is that the AE burnishing tends to come off no matter what you do. It's not a dye, its basically just a polish they add at the end. So best thing to do is learn how to burnish shoes yourself, so you can maintain (or even improve) on what comes stock from the factory. OK, hopefully images will work this time. Before: After:
The before are a pair of university's the after are strands.

tyort1

Reaction score
The before are a pair of university's the after are strands.

The after pic is of the Strands and the Universities. The before pic is just the Universities. You can tell by the U-shaped cap toe.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, my point exactly. Reno removes burnishing. Especially if you apply it with a cloth or a brush. Using your fingers tends to affect burnishing less. But the simply fact of the matter is that the AE burnishing tends to come off no matter what you do. It's not a dye, its basically just a polish they add at the end. So best thing to do is learn how to burnish shoes yourself, so you can maintain (or even improve) on what comes stock from the factory.

OK, hopefully images will work this time. Before:

After:
Stock photos of the University do not do it justice! It is a beautiful shoe and I am kicking myself for not listening to the wife and picking them up on the <$200 Macy's deal a month or 2 ago.

Last edited:

tyort1

Reaction score
Stock photos of the University do not do it justice! It is a beautiful shoe and I am kicking myself for not listening to the wife and picking them up on the <$200 Macy's deal a month or 2 ago.

They are THE most versatile shoe in my collection. Brush them up for a bit of shine and pair them with a suit. Leave them a bit more matte and they are amazing with dark jeans. I got mine as a webgem before they became part of the standard AE lineup. Which is why my pair has a dainite sole, necessary here in Colorado....

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d post these before/after pix of my shell strands getting exposed to rain water. There was a surprise rain shower as I was getting home the other day. I walked/ran to the house after the bus dropped me off (about 2 blocks). The first pix is immediately after I walked in; I toweled off the shoes when I walked in the door. The second pix is after the shoes were allowed to dry. The last pix is after a vigorous brushing and buffing mac session.

Hard to tell from my last pix but there is some cloudiness in the vamp area, which I don’t like. The toe caps came out great.

I don’t add product to my shell shoes. If there are dry parts I just apply the milky white conditioner. However, these shoes don’t have any dry areas. I do have some Alden leather defender, but I haven’t applied it to these shoes.

During days where there is a chance of showers, I will wear calf leather shoes, usually with a rubber sole or commando. On days when it’s 100% rain, I’ll wear bean boots.

I’m still looking for shell shoes that will be able to “bead” the water off naturally. When I find them, I’ll eventually resole them with dainite or commando. They will serve as my “shower” beater shoes.

Skatenc123

Reaction score
Got to love dainite on a day like this.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@coolarrow , those look dry to me based on the wet patches that make it look like water was absorbed and the general appearance. Try some Saphir neutral cordovan cream.

NeoXerxes

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful advice gents! I will be calling AE corporate to exchange these unworn strands (just in case) and will pick up a bottle of the Saphir Renovateur and some darker polish in order to learn how to burnish and remove burnish myself on a not-so-visible area of the shoe. Some of the shoes pictured here are absolutely magnificent! The forum veterans seem to really know what they are doing.

tyort1

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful advice gents! I will be calling AE corporate to exchange these unworn strands (just in case) and will pick up a bottle of the Saphir Renovateur and some darker polish in order to learn how to burnish and remove burnish myself on a not-so-visible area of the shoe. Some of the shoes pictured here are absolutely magnificent! The forum veterans seem to really know what they are doing.
The cool thing is that when you're learning to burnish things yourself, the burnishing can be removed, so even if you make a mistake, you can remove it and start over (within reason, of course). My best advice is to try it out on some old or inexpensive shoes first, then move on to your better shoes.

Last edited:

NeoXerxes

Reaction score
The cool thing is that when you're learning to burnish things yourself, the burnishing can be removed, so even if you make a mistake, you can remove it and start over (within reason, of course). My best advice is to try it out on some old or inexpensive shoes first, then move on to your better shoes.

That is exactly what I plan on doing. I will test it first on an inexpensive pair, then on a hidden portion of the walnut Strands. But for now, I need to find myself a pair without burnishing in random places.

RitchieBro

Reaction score
Curious about black cordovan shoes; other colors seem to over time change color (burgundy, brown, etc.) and get lighter with color variations over time.....do black cordovan leather shoes do the same, in other words, do they lighten up to a grayish color with wear? Anyone with experience with black cordovan, could you share your experience? Thanks!

tyort1

Reaction score
Since there was some question as to me being just a regular guy, here is a group shot of my AE collection, which all started with the Walnut Strand 2 years ago, and has grown at an alarming rate!

Back Row - Eastport Boat Shoes, Promontory Point Horween Football Leather Boots, Brown Cronmoks, Sand Amoks.
Front Row - Walnut Strands, Bourbon Universities, Burgundy Chesters, Tan Dublin Aberdeens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads