1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

So the Leiden...this is the selling point? exposed leather edge? So....not including the piping which they reduced to basically zero on the mcneil 2.0 is a big deal? I am not sure how I get marketing a single sole longwing with a lower wing profile and half wheeled welt as being the answer to wearing with jeans? Does single leather sole make rolled up pants and no socks more casual...I really do not know what I am missing in all of this. I mean if you want to scream casual then put this on the 606 last which is a broader toe.

From AE site
    "but we’ve taken a chance of our own by taking the classic English banker’s shoe and giving the collar a ring of exposed leather. This venture pays off handsomely as this detail of intricate craftsmanship provides a stunning artistic focal point, especially when you take a fashion risk of your own and sport these with rolled up pants and without socks. "

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

That caught my attention as being odd too.

3. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

Equally confusing is their attempt to position this as the English Bankers Shoe... when they had/have a shoe called The City, which is named for the banking district in London.

I also know zero English bankers (in City) that wear AE (much less longwings at the office). Small sample size... but still.

Seems me that they are now marketing to people that think they are discerning... [​IMG]

That said, I'm glad this isn't labeled an anything "2.0"... they're not selling software in the 2000's. </rant>

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

It is bad marketing-speak (along with more than a little hyperbole) for taking a style/design chance.

5. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

I like the look of these!

6. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

Wearing my new First Aves today. I had expected them to fit nice and snug like my Freiburgs, but the actually feel significantly roomier.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Kahuna75

the color looks fantastic...very deep and rich looking - congrats

8. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These don't even look like the Pine River anymore! I'm thinking "Mora 3.5" lol... They seemed a little dressy until i pulled the painter's tape. Almost seamless transition from upper to welt. Like the contrast from upper to sole with light stitching. May have to retape and apply super thin layer of acrylic to upper so as to avoid any bleed down to the sole (polishing will have to be with mostly neutral polish I'm thinking). I like these. Any thoughts on the color? It changes depending on lighting it seems.

3 people like this.
  9. Kahuna75

I love the pine river and wish I had one. @Indyoshi68 you did a great job...congrats! I am a sucker for blue shoes and boots and those are terrific

10. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

Great navy color for the most part, though the toe caps look a little green in that last pic.

Thanks, I was a little wary at first because it's not very even, but I'm getting used to it.

11. Indyoshi68

Thanks Kahuna! I know you have an A+ shoe game so that's a real compliment coming from you. I credit Dale's navy shell makeup, the Navy shell Dalton from the 2014 trunk show and peppercorn's new navy shell Carmina for sending me in this direction.

12. Indyoshi68

Funny you say that scarlet; i used a very tiny amount of yellow to tone down the almost electric blue i used. I don't see it though. Could be lighting; could be you have an INCREDIBLE eye for color! It should be apparent throughout the shoe though. Thanks for the feedback, scarlet - duly noted!

13. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Well-Known Member

therein lies the problem...wear suits maybe twice a year, wool trousers maybe 20% of the time. mostly in chinos...not quite sure the cornwallis goes with that.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

I *really* like those, and sad I missed them whenever they were available. A quick search told me I shouldn't hold out much hope of finding a pair... :(

15. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

Looking at the longwings side by side, they have streamlined the look of the lieden by taking the broguing on the bottom back at a flatter angle. The bottom broguing is down below the midpoint of the shoe. While in the MacNeil, the broguing comes all the way up to the top. The medallions on the 1st three look the same. details on the McGregor and the Larchmont look similar. My take is that if you need a longwing, you're probably not going for sleek anyway, but if you are and the 333 last works for you, save a bunch of money and get the larchmont.

If I was buying for jeans, I'd get McGregors with Dainite.

[​IMG]

16. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

I agree with this...there seems to be a trend at AE of playing up stripped down features..and hoping people perceive them as a versatile business casual shoe.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  17. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Went with my Gobis today. They are so damn comfortable.

3 people like this.
  18. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

The color on those is amazing.

2 people like this.
  19. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Quote:Aren't the BB football loafers made by AE? I know the sole is different .. what other difference is there? I've been tempted to get those as well from Brooks Brothers, but they aren't carrying my size right now (12D). May be the reason you can't find them on the AE site either .... no longer being made.

20. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Walnut Back Hills on a casual work from home day.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.