1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

I like those a lot, better than the Carlyle. Brogueing makes it pop just enough.

1 person likes this.
  2. Alpha11

Alpha11 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thought I bring out the Central Park with my charcoal suit!

1 person likes this.
  3. naspratt

Jeffersons and coffee. And incredibly ugly carpeting.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

It has been ages since I tried on the Neumok, but I would say definitely McT. I think all of the rough collection or suede shoes fit slightly larger.

5. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Interesting question - I actually bought the neumok and mctavish at the same time. Its sort of a weird comparison - the neumok has the feel of a strand but is way roomier in the toe and instep since its unlined. The mctavish feels like a different last altogether. If I had to pick one id say the neumok fits more like the mctavish - just because they're both significantly roomier than the strand (which coincidentally I'm wearing right now).

6. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

After a couple times wearing the Rutledges I picked up during the clearance sale, I decided that I wanted to give them a good polish on the toe cap and decide what I wanted to do with the burnish on the rest of the shoe.

I noticed there is an another 11D on the shoe bank right now for the same price I paid ($175ish), I would pick that up if I were you. It's easily the nicest shoe I own.

Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    4 people like this.
  7. middlepP

Huge thanks to @parkman24! Just received my Long Branches. I have to say, I think they are even less worn than he described. Seriously, these things are amazing! And like walking on air.

Since I had previously discussed sizing differences between Dalton and LBs... These LBs seem slightly longer, a little wider, and have more volume all around. Nothing some boot socks and tight laces can't take care of. Especially at this price!

1 person likes this.
  8. 3lilnags

3lilnags Active Member

Those look fantastic. Did you stick with your 65 size or go down a half size?

9. middlepP

I think they look good! I was debating picking up a pair and attempting to darken the entire cap. Thought this might make the burnishing not stand out as much.

10. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

I was curious as I want some navy neumonks. The McTavish fit good, but I can't get a strand to fit at all.

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Thanks! I did. I'm probably between an 11D-E in the 65, as they fit a bit snug on the outside of my foot. The 11D Rutledge fits like a glove.

Thanks! I just used some walnut cream and then neutral wax, which really brought the colors out and blended in the burnishing. If you want to strip it, use renomat or I use a cloth damp with acetone. One of mine had a darker burnish and I cleaned it up with the acetone, it was shocking how little it took to clean it off. It essentially erased it. Other than the burnish, that shoe is incredible. The leather is so much nicer than what is used on the standard shoes.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I think the Long Branch pattern has a little more volume by design, to accommodate boot socks. That, and cowhide doesn't pull as tightly against the last as calfskin...

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Definitely. I have a pair of LBs and quite a few pairs of Daltons, all in 9EEE. The Daltons look much sleeker and are not nearly as roomy as the LB.

14. BL70

BL70 Well-Known Member

Still breaking in the flatirons
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. BL70

BL70 Well-Known Member

I love my long branches. Once they're on I never want to take them off.

16. naspratt

I also went down a half size, on Earl's suggestion. Both because of the size of the 333 compared to the 65, and because he told me the 10.5 was pretty rough and the 10 looked great. He was spot on on both counts.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  17. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Those look great. Good patina and just enough shine.

18. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Navy shell AEs today
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

Spot on Dale...That's right I found you on Instagram!

1 person likes this.
  20. fieldsheer

fieldsheer Member

That is exactly how i would describe the Danbury. It's essentially a quarter brogue Carlyle. It's on the same last as well.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.