1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm still a nineties kind of guy. Love those.

1 person likes this.
  2. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thank you all! I might give it a shot, as they have them in my 65 last size, which is 7.5D or E. I plan to wear thicker socks so it's fine if they fit slightly looser. I just hope that they are not terribly wide in the ball area as @Neo1 mentioned. Just for reference, I am 8.5C on Brannock, and with the exception 65 last, I need to go 8 or higher in everything else. How is it compared to 201? Because the Freigburgs in 8D are a pretty good fit for a boot.

Thanks

3. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

Non-AE (Chippewa) "Beaters" today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Dd1101

Dd1101 Well-Known Member

Looking at the Leidens, walnut or brown??? Hmm

5. otterhound

otterhound Well-Known Member

Suede Strands with Dainite soles. Picked up on website clearance as firsts for $277. They look great with both wool trousers and chinos. Please forgive the ratty socks.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I only have the lighter version of the shoe (wishing now I had it in saddle as well). However, I believe there are some photos of it on this thread. Perhaps a google search with "gobi" and "style forum" would get you there?

As far as fit, I typically am a 11.5B, and I have a 11B in the Gobi. The toe box is huge (and more square-ish) so you don't need to go quite as long in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  7. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

My 8.5D suede Gobis are a little wider in the heel and the toe box (more boxy), slightly shorter, and have MUCH more room below the laces/in the forefoot than my 9D Freiburgs. I also feel that I am unable to tighten the Gobis, due to the 2 eyelets, like I can the Freiburgs.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Well-Known Member

God, I just love these. I wish I had a pair.

1 person likes this.
  9. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I also have them in black and the late 1990's version of bourbon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

How do you like those? I need another pair of hard wearing boots, but have been dead set on a pair of cordovan colored Wolverine 1000 milers, which is essentially that same boot but more expensive. I haven't had a chance to see the Chips in person, but have had a chance to feel up a pair of the Wolverines and man.... the leather on those boots is tremendous.

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

12. MattRiv

I really want some Alden Snuff chukkas, but I don't know if I can ever justify that purchase to the boss.

13. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  14. MattRiv

15. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Ahh gotcha.

They are roughly TTS if they are on the Leydon last. If on Barrie they would be a half size down from Brannock.

16. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

I love them. They fit well and unlike the 1000 milers, they have a rubber vibram sole which is better than a leather sole for snow and ice.

17. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Got my McTavish in Cognac Dublin today! (Seconds) Some annotated picts first, and overall thoughts at the end.

I normally don't cuff up these jeans (certainly not this wide), but wanted make sure everyone could see the shoes well.
    [​IMG]

The color is a touch darker than I thought they would be, but I'm very pleased. Some other online picts I've seen made them look really reddish, almost like the Russet Brown of my Saul Dr.'s, but fortunately that is not the case.
    [​IMG]

Onto the what I suppose makes them seconds. This spot on the heel area of the Right Shoe. Don't know how this came about but maybe a touch of polish will mask it. In any case no one is going to see it anyway.
    [​IMG]

On the Left Shoe, (from left to right) stitching ends poofing out, some sort of tooling mark on the welt, then small gap where the welt meets up. The gap looks much worse from this angle, looking from the front of the shoe back it looks better. I don't think I'm even going to bother to clean up the stitching ends. Doesn't really bother me that much.
    [​IMG]

Overall, I'm STOKED!! Love the color, love the fit (finally got my proper closure on my left foot in a Balmoral, went 8E on these), love the beefy sole, love the Dublin leather. Its a kick-ass shoe. Literally, as far as shoes go, this is what I would want to wear if I found it necessary to kick someone.

Pros: Love them.
    Cons: I love them so much, my other shoes are already jealous.

I also got some Ridgeways the other day, going to post a comparison to these later.

4 people like this.
  18. aeyo

aeyo Member

Wore my new chocolate suede Fifth Aves today. Normally neither a quarter brogue nor suede would be much my style, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got. Roughtly $125 from the Shoe Bank, and they have my preferred v-tread sole. I must admit, they're starting to grow on me.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think I will pass.

20. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I love these, and have been wanting a pair for a year now. Hope to pick em up on the bay one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.