1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

They are! I have the L.L. Bean shearling lined insoles inside them too!

If anyone owns the standard Bean boots, you know the leather is kinda stiff and plasticky feeling. The bison leather on these shearling boots is absolutely several steps above, and is an unbelievably buttery soft leather.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. naspratt

naspratt Well-Known Member

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Damn, missed it by two E's!

4. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Need a little help here - I have a buddy that only wears shoes by SAS (don't laugh). I used to give him a hard time but I sort of gave up. He used to comment that he thought I spent way too much money on AEs but after going through so many pairs of his (I'm surprised by how many he has worn out), I think he's ready to break down and try AE. Trouble is I have no idea what size he should try - he's basically flat footed, no arch, and measures an 8E on the left and 8.5E on the right. In the SAS shoes he buys he usually gets an 8.5D, which he says is fairly narrow horizontally, but the E just doesn't work. He prefers a larger toebox if possible. I had them measure him years ago at an AE retail store - they were quite rude when they saw him with the SAS and tried to push him with loafers - I don't think he has ever worn loafers as he can never get a good fit with something without the adjustability of laces. Too bad - I think that turned him off for a long time. I think he tried an 8.5D lasalle or delray, and he said the left shoe was slipping up and down, and both were very tight in the toe.

Anyway, with the more elongated lasts like the 65, 201 and 333, I guess I'm thinking maybe try 8EEE? I'm shooting in the dark really - I know for myself a blucher feels way larger than a bal, but maybe for him it won't make a difference...Also, for the 511 I have no idea - would people say 8EEE or 8.5E? I know most people say true to size. I'm probably in the minority on this one - I'm down a half size in length in every last, including the 511, 114 and 555.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

1: Guesswork gives you low odds of success. Too many lasts, too much variety in our feet for guesswork.
    2: Despite previous experience...try the store again. This time, call first, let the manager know you/he is coming and why. Maybe even describe previous experience but definitely explain the mismatch size challenge.
    (alternate store in area?)
    3: AE can get him a mismatched pair if his feet do not match Maybe an 8 and an 8.5. If he truly dials in, a mismatched pair of AE could be the most comfortable pair of shoes he has ever owned.

The 201 last may be a good choice...it has a wider toe box than the 65/333.

6. tkebh979

tkebh979 Well-Known Member

Fighting the urge to post the canvas SeeVees I wore this weekend... only thing we're salting on the western gulf coast these days are margaritas. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably require some wellies come hurricane season though...

7. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel like the 201 last has a wide heel? My Bartletts almost feel like they're a 1/2 size too large because the heel just doesn't grab at all.

8. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

All this talk of shearling, Bean boots, and snow... has me shivering.
    Feeling like spring here with Mid 70's weather! Tan Amoks, red laces (matching a stripe in my OCB), and grey chinos.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. middlepP

[​IMG]

10. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Anyone grab those dark chili mcgregor's yet?

11. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Testing interest on selling these truffle McAllister seconds in 8.5D, webgem from 2012.

Ever since getting Alden ravello longwings (pretty much identical in colour) I seem to never reach for these and would rather find them a better home and free up some funds for something else. They are seconds with some discolouration and kind of folded leather on outside of the right shoe, when looking down while wearing you do not see it. I have worn these under 10 times and only concrete wear from the parking lot to the office, otherwise on carpet.

Just want to see if anyone wants first dibs before they hit the buy & sell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  12. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Seriously though, those are some of the best shell AE's i've seen

1 person likes this.
  13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Dude dude dude, these are insane. It's going to take every ounce of my willpower not to buy them.

14. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

You should buy them honestly, they are amazing and I feel bad letting them go but my ravello LWB just hits the rotation more because of my wardrobe. I am going to let them go at a fair price, let me know if you want to see more pics.

15. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I second the above. Don't let one bad experience be your sole basis of your judgement. Also The 201 definitely appears to be a "friendlier" last. My Daltons 8D (511 last) fit fine, but just barely in the toe box, and 8E might be just a tad too wide everywhere else. But my Suak Drives 8D (201 last), seem to straddle the difference in the toe box, while maintaining the fit everywhere else. The fact that they are both boots may be a factor, so keep that in mind.

PS the pun you get for free. :)

16. parkman24

parkman24 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

I am going to be listing quite a few of my Allen Edmonds shoes that I would like to give another home. Shoes are all in the size 9E. They come in their original boxes, shoe trees, and shoe bags. All shoes have been worn less than 5-6 times (most of them worn at most 3 times). Shoes have always been brushed before and after wear + shoe trees inserted. I've also applied some Saphir Renovateur on the shoes.

Some of the models - Dalton boot (dark chili), Longbranch (brown chromexcel), Mora 2.0 (dark brown), Dundee 2.0 (dark brown), MacNeil (black), MacNeil (dark chili), Strand (walnut), Grayson loafer (dark brown), Ascher loafer (walnut).

Shoes will be listed at $150 - which includes shoes, original box, shoe trees, shoe bags, and shipping. ONLY SHIPPING TO CONUS.

Feel free to PM me if you would like me to reserve :)

Hope some of you gentlemen will welcome these shoes into your homes! Thank you for your considerations!

1 person likes this.
  17. Middlife

Middlife Well-Known Member

I could use some of these but I am 8.5E as far as I know. Do any of these styles run short in comparison to the 65 or 201 last?

18. parkman24

parkman24 Well-Known Member

Pictures will be posted shortly. I'll provide a link once I set the listing up. Currently at work, so once I get home, I will make sure to send this to you gentlemen! Thanks for your patience!

19. middlepP

PM sent. I have been eyeing a pair of LB's in golden brown! (And the mora. And a dark chili macneil. And... someone please help me.)

20. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Damn my sub-average feet!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.