1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dario65

Dario65 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

A question about my recently purchased Strandmoks...

Does anyone else struggle with the stickiness of the tongue? It's like it pulls my sock on my toes when I put it on, and I can't get it "just right" for quite awhile. It sounds ridiculous I know, but imagine pulling your socks over your toes too tight, and having everything sticky so that it can't settle out.

It seems to work itself out eventully, but it's not as silky smooth as my calf shoes are.

Interested if I am alone in this first world struggle...

3. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies to this. I realized after posting this, that I had done plenty of research and just need to jump in and give it a shot.

I'll skip the minor details like number of coats, wait time, brushing, polishing, edge dressing, etc....
    Daltons got treated with Bick 4, then coats of AE bourbon polish everywhere, followed by lighter coats of navy on the toe and heel.
    First Aves got Bick 4, coats of cognac everywhere, brown and then navy on toe and heel.

I am very happy with both! The Daltons developed a deeper color and will only get better with future treatments. (My goal is an almost bourbon Dalton, with a chili edge, minus the need to sand black edges.)
    The First Aves developed a rich honey color that, IMO, will allow them to be worn more formally than with walnut.

Here are the Daltons. First Aves maybe on Monday. Happy Friday, everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

I have the Adams and its the nicest leather of any shoe I own. If there is a style I want and there is one in the indy line, thats what I'm looking for.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I love the brown grain on the Dundee 2.0's I got a little while ago so I have been looking at the brown grain MacNeil 2.0's at my local store. I have looked long enough - here are some quick and dirty cell phone pics when I got back to the office. I will post better photos tonight after some AE Leather Lotion and buffing.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Quote:Thanks guys. Feel very fortunate to score both of them. The strand color is walnut. Similar to some Alden ravello shades. Most that I've seen develop a real nice olive tone over time. As you observed, these have it right out of the box.

Those are some great scores on some rare makeups!

7. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Great choice - I think your post put me over the edge.

Chris

8. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Well-Known Member

Oh, the chin is always up. But, to answer your challenge, here's one that I'm probably in the minority for appreciating. Gray Black Hills. Snowy, salty casual Friday in Chicago. Lousy indoor iPhone photo on ugly corporate carpeting. Shoes definitely need to be cleaned and conditioned and the edging should be touched up (although I'm debating stripping it down). Regardless, they're super comfortable, fit great for a 65 lasted shoe, and seem to me to be the perfect winter beater for days like this.

[​IMG]

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Those are terrific ...the 2.0 is really a nice upgrade

1 person likes this.
  10. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

Today's edition of nice shoes on cheap carpet:
    [​IMG]

My well-appreciated Rutledges.

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

hey guys - if anybody owns both AE Walnut Shell (pref the Dalton in Walnut) and C&J brown shell (preferably the Lindrick) could you post a pic? I'm looking for Walnut vs Brown comparison but also a Dalton vs Lindrick comparison. thanks!

12. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Congrats. What kind of sole is on these? I'm asking because grain is pretty hardy in the rain.

13. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

These are perfect for me. Was wearing them last night, in fact (though this picture is from when I got them last summer).
    I actually hit the seams when I polish them to keep them contrasty. The patina is less dramatic when they're on your feet and people are seeing them from 6 feet away, partly covered by the cuff of your pants.

1 person likes this.
  14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Nice shoe and nice pic you got. :)

If anything, I thought my crappy pic would have dissuaded you. :happy:

Congratulations on a nice pickup.

15. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

What's your process if you don't mind me asking?

16. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

After several purchases over a too short span of time, I decided that I needed to take a break.
    Yesterday, I saw that they put a shoe on clearance that I've been wanting for a while (the McGregor with Danite sole).
    And today, I saw it on Shoebank in the color I wanted.
    Must. resist. temptation.
    Perhaps I could start a "go fund me" campaign?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  17. Moose22

Nothing strange. I brush them clean, occasionally hit them with some Bick 4 -- though I hadn't done that when this pic was taken. For polish I use AE Walnut polish in a very thin coat, let it dry for 15 minutes then rub it off with a soft cloth. If I want more patina avoid the seams with the cloth at this stage and put just a little black on them, so I get a combination of black and walnut. Let it dry then rub the seams until the color is how I like it.

After rubbing most of the polish off with a cloth I hit it with the brush, then to finish rub it lovingly with a soft cloth until it has a nice sheen. The leather in these shoes seems to take a more satiny polish than in my other shoes, but I like how it looks so I stop there. It's super easy. Other than waiting for the polish to dry it takes me about 5 minutes of work each shoe.

18. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Did you take any of the original burnish off?

19. Moose22

Not on purpose, but the walnut and some rubbing took a bit if it off from how it was new. After about 2 more polishes it was getting a little bland so I started adding back some black.

Mine came damned near perfect from the shoebank. Others seemed to have had more burnishing. I think one person, who had extreme burnish, was able to calm the contrast using 91% isopropyl and a little careful rubbing. I've used that to strip old polish on a different shoe and it worked a treat while still being pretty mild. It takes a while, but if you're patient it'll do the trick. Add the moisture back with some Bick4 after and polish again as normal.

20. Scarlet

Scarlet Well-Known Member

Beautiful results. I'll have to remember that polish combo if I ever get a pair of walnut shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.