1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

I probably walk a total of 4 to 5 miles on NYC sidewalks (depending on my schedule) per day. I wear dress shoes primarily and only wear trainers when I run. I probably have the heels done once before I need the whole sole recrafted. However, I have a relatively decent rotation so I'm not resoling shoes all the time. :D

2. SuitedDx

Another BIG factor is the quality of the sole. If/when you do recraft, request J. Redenbach soles. They are excellent.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I have a question regarding polishing. I will be getting married in a year and will be wearing a tuxedo. I do not want to go the Mens Wearhouse route, so I will most likely look to buy an inexpensive one that I can get well tailored. As such, I will need to provide my own footwear. Tradition seems to be patent leather, and I know AE makes a patent leather shoe I could get, but that seems crazy to drop that much money on a pair of shoes I might never wear again (or at least won't for many years). So, I was also considering getting a nice pair of calf shoes and polishing them up real nice.

My question is: can/should black calf be polished to a high shine? Right now the black shoes I own include J&M Meltons, AE Delrays, and AE Bradleys. The Meltons seem to be a corrected grain leather, which as you all know is fairly shiny to begin with and seems to hold a very nice nice (I use black Kiwi wax on them). I've never done anything beyond conditioner cleaner and AE black premium polish on my Delrays and Bradleys . . . and the AE premium polish does not result in a shiny looking leather like the Kiwi does on the J&Ms.

I was thinking I would buy a pair of AE Park Avenues to replace the Meltons (which I got used anyway) when it gets closer to my wedding, but I would want them to be shined up real nice (to more or less achieve what patent leather would otherwise achieve). I'm not sure I've seen anyone actually do that with their black AEs, though. What would you guys recommend? I like my Delrays and Bradleys when I polish them with the premium polish, and I like that they don't have a tremendous shine or anything. But I would want my Park Aves to be much "shiner." I've read on here that putting something like Kiwi on good calf is a bad idea. What are my options?

4. SuitedDx

Bulling shoes are fine. It takes practice though so I recommend trying it out on your new shoes way before the wedding. :) After the ceremony, and when you want your shoes less shiny, just use some leather cleaner (I use RenoMat and it is AWESOME... better than Lexol for sure) and it will take out the wax build-up. Personally, I have a pair of Canali that is corrected that I use with my tux (no shame in owning corrected grain).

Also, can you clarify what you mean by "putting something like Kiwi on good calf is a bad idea" since manufacturers such as EG use Kiwi brand polish. Been using them for years (and also Saphir) and nothing bad has happened.

5. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

A wax polish will make them shinier than the original finish, but nowhere near a patent finish. That said, spend the money on the PA;s - you must wear a balmoral, not a blucher style shoe with formal wear, despite AE's last offering ( The Kendall) being a blucher. Black bal plain captoes like the PA's are widely accepted as an alternative to patent.

6. BackInTheJox

Oh, I was probably just talking about of my backside. Someone somewhere had said using a "wax" polish like Kiwi was a bad idea, but I honestly don't know a lot about the intricacies of shoe care. Whoever it was, it was enough to convince me to get some AE brand premium polish for my black shoes. Maybe I'm the sucker.

7. SJTM

SJTM Active Member

I have had no success bulling my PA's. I am told they are not the right leather to accept such a procedure to produce the full bulling effect.

8. BackInTheJox

Perfect. Yeah, I didn't expect them to shin to the extent of patent leather (nor would I want them, really), I'm just picturing my buffed up J&Ms and I like the way they hold a shine when I go at them with a couple rounds of Kiwi. I've never used wax polish on AEs, so I was afraid to try.

And you're right, I forgot that AE's latest patent line was a blucher . . . that would've been enough to deter me from entertaining that thought had I remembered.

9. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

I've bulled mine perfectly... takes hours though.

10. nater

nater Active Member

What size? I have a pair of Evanston 10.5C or 10.5 D (need to verify) in Walnut that I could be enticed to part with...

11. nater

nater Active Member

I was interested in buying a factory-second of one of the Italian loafers when I was at the Shoe Bank, but there were none in stock. Apparently there's an AE store somewhere in Italy that keeps all the seconds to sell there. So, sorry I can't help you. :)

12. nater

nater Active Member

I haven't seen mention of the Independence Sale on here. All the factory-second Independence shoes are on sale for $259. I believe it runs through Monday. I called to order a pair of Jeffersons in dark brown yesterday. I tried them on when I was in the Shoe Bank recently and they are sweet -- nice style, interesting soles, and better cushioned inside.

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I have a different take than some of the previous comments; but please feel free to disagree . As long as the uppers are not damaged, these shoes could last decades. That means that your "good shoe care" includes new heels and soles as needed. These shoes are designed for long term wear - this is the primary benefit of Goodyear welted construction.

Two shoes in a rotation is fine. You just need to give each pair a day off between wearings, and you have to use trees and a shoehorn. I would guess with the amount of walking you do, it could be as little as 3 months between heel replacements, and as little as 6 months between sole replacements. Maybe double those times, depending on actual wear, so figure 2- 4 heels and 1 -2 soles per year maybe?

There is a limit to how many times you can recraft, due to the reason you stated - that the shoes get stretched over the last again. But recrafting is a once-in-several-years type thing, not an every-other-sole type thing. I think people here tend to be very particular about their shoes and so maybe are extra aggressive with this.

As an example, I have a pair of J&M shoes, made in the USA, that are over 20 years old. I wore them every day to work for 4 years, never used trees, and resoled them as needed. The shoes are beat to hell and destroyed inside. After all that, I recently pulled them out and a cobbler was still able to resole them, and even to fix some interior damage. Now, these shoes are really at the end of their life, because I abused them, so I'm not suggesting that this is what anyone should do. But the point is that these shoes are designed for long term wear, and if I had taken care of them, they would be fine today.

I think what is more likely is that you'll decide that you want more shoes for variety, and/or you'll say "I've resoled these X times at a cost of Y, so I can justify buying new ones after a few years". But if you wanted to, you could milk these for a long, long time.

14. sammymvpknight

sammymvpknight Member

Just as a heads up. I was at the Destin outlet on Friday to pick up a pair of New Orleans walnut I purchased from the shoebank and the salesman told me that AE was having an unannounced sale for multiple shoes. I glanced at the list for a moment and they had lots of calf seconds for $199 and two cordovans seconds for $299. He told me the sale would start this weekend and end at the end of the week. Contact your local outlet or shoebank for more details.

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

Anyone having a sale on the new Amoks?
    I want to get them for less than $170 shipped.

16. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about the brown burnished single gusset leather briefcase? I would like to know if it is full-grain leather.

17. gooter

gooter Well-Known Member

You're a bad man. I may be interested, too!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  18. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

i agree just wish they have my size tho. jeffersons in dark brown is a very very nice shoe.

19. norite

norite Member

Hi All,

I recently emailed Shoebank for the first time and received a list of available seconds in my size. I noticed in the list that there were Brooks Brothers rebranded AEs such as the Strands and Fifth Avenues. Would anybody happen to have experience with the BB branded AE shoes and know if there's anything different with them? Is the quality and feel/comfort pretty much the same? Would you guys suggest I just purchase the BB ones? I could potentially save $50-70 per pair of shoes if I were to go the BB branded route.

20. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the BB rebranded AEs, but if you scan the last 10 pages or so of this thread, there has been a lot of recent discussion on this very topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.