1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Personally, I am not a fan of longwings, so I went with the McAllister and am happy with them. Are you looking at shell Cordovan? If not, I am not a fan of the grainy texture of the walnut they use on the McNeil. I also prefer the sleeker look of the McAllister, specifically the single sole vs. the double.

I suspect others in this thread will tell you they prefer the McNeil.

Edit: Also, the McAllister is a balmoral/oxford, while the McNeil is a blucher/derby. Not sure if that matters to you.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

I would say it really depends on their intended use.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Get them in shell :) but then you would would be talking about Cambridge instead of McAllister

4. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Well-Known Member

Thanks! They definitely look better in person than on the AE site. I think the same shoe in black is MUCH sleeker and modern than either the Park or Fifth Ave. I'll try and get some more pics.

5. SouthNarc

Better pic in natural light showing the nice burnishing.[​IMG]

6. SouthNarc

And two more. Nice burnishing, a longer toe cap, and generally a sleeker shoe than AE's other captoes IMO. I've only worn these twice and have done nothing more than put on one coat of Reno, one coat Saphir med. brown creme, and two coats Saphir med brown wax. Lot's of compliments on these shoes so far.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. seer

seer Well-Known Member

Thanks, so you own a pair I assume. I was wondering about the color and leather. Some pictures on line kind of give it a poop brown look, other pictures the leather looks real fine - like a brown with a red hue. Any thoughts?

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

This.
    However, if I could only have 1 pair it would be the MacNeil.

9. SuitedDx

The brown is the same type of other dark brown AE shoes. Which pictures did you see had a red hue?

10. seer

seer Well-Known Member

11. SuitedDx

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

Beautiful! How's the 3 last compared to 5 last?

13. SouthNarc

Thanks!

The 3 last for me is a half size up from the 5....8.5 in Strands and 9 in the Rutledge.

14. Breedlove

Breedlove Well-Known Member

Well, although they didn't have the shoe I originally reserved, AE sent me a pair in a similar size (half size smaller but wider). No one will confuse them for firsts but there isn't anything majorly wrong with them that won't happen naturally after a couple of wears.
    After sending two pairs of shoes back for exchange, I think I've finally found a keeper!
    Now to begin conditioning and breaking my new Brown Cordovan Strands in!

15. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Well-Known Member

What would you guys say the average shoe life of an allen edmonds calf skin shoe is? One black one brown worn 5 days a week. How many years can you get out of this rotation with good shoe care?

16. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Ideally you would throw a 3rd pair into the mix, but still better than wearing them every day. A determining factor is whether or not you use shoe trees. Another is whether you walk much or drive and then walk on carpet all day. You should be able to get 5 years or more if you don't walk much. Then you can get them recrafted. I don't know if there is a limit to how many times you can recraft them.

17. acousticfoodie

I think most AE's can be redrafted 3 times before the leather is stretched too much. As far as the walking goes, do most of you just drive and wear your dress AEs pretty much in the office only? Do any of you walk 3 miles to and from work?

18. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

Never liked the "wear your sneakers to work and then change into your dress shoes at work" look. Looks sloppy when you're going to work.

Aside from my commute on train, I walk roughly 2 miles total (to and from the train) a day. I wear my AEs all the time. I just rotate between several shoes...

19. acousticfoodie

Ah, how often do you need heel replacements?

20. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

I haven't needed to yet... I also wear dress shoes 4x a week only and have about 7 pairs of shoes in my rotation. Key is to get more shoes and they'll last you much longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.