1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

I was unaware of this, thanks for sharing. In fact, AE web site says to use walnut polish on bourbon shoes.

In so many words, my wife said the same thing. And I happen to agree. if i didn't have 4 pair of Strands, I would go that route. But like you and my wife say, the 5th Ave bridges the gap.

1 person likes this.
  2. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

65 is also not on the top of my hits. I'm good in a 8D in the Dalton and Dundee 2.0 (both 511 lasts). NO WAY I can take a D width in 65 Balmoral due to my instep. By the time I size up on a 65 D width the length is WAY too much. On the other hand, since I don't mind not having excess space in the tips, I can size down (from 8) and go wide in the 65 and get something acceptable, though not perfectly ideal. I don't own any Bluchers in the 65, a D might work for me, but I suspect I would be better off in an E.

3. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Happy wife, happy life.

4. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Empty cup. No, not asking for spare change for the Allen Edmonds Bourbon Clearance. Waiting for a fresh pot of Kris Kringle outside of Quickcheck on Christmas Day, with my new Chocolate Daltons.

[​IMG]

Ahhh.. Caffeine. Merry Christmas everyone.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Your chocolate Daltons look so much nicer than mine for some reason.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Where are the pants from?

7. f800gs

f800gs Well-Known Member

Yes, deets on the pants please.

8. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

Probably the diffuse lighting. Early afternoon overcast. They seem pretty normal to me. What wasn't normal was the price. $53.99!!! Best score to date.

1 person likes this.
  9. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

AE does have a Bourbon colored polish available now. They just never updated their recommendations on what color to use, I bet.

10. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

@Mark_Y +1 to everything Ace said. I have a Bleecker Street boot, and while my pants leg covers the top of it, I do enjoy looking down and seeing that single line of brogued cap toe. I'm sure the Fifth Ave would give you similar effect.

I work in a similar engineering environment (yeah, the 90%+ number is correct!), with plenty of nerd cred myself. Before AE and SF, my decision to buy a new shoe consisted of wondering "why is my sock wet?" on a rainy day, only to find the hole in the rubber sole of whatever shoe I bought from Kohl's approximately 2 years prior. I will say this, at work, I've received the most compliments on my wing tips (Cambridge and McGregor). I believe most equate the broguing with "nicer/dressier." I just got some Strands, so we'll see if that hypothesis holds water, because I'm pretty sure they don't know the diff between a wingtip and captoe.

That said, what do you like/want? Given the 90% number, what's going to matter is if you're happy with your shoes, not someone else.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Ooh nice. I like chocolate and get tempted by the Daltons that occasionally pop up in my size at the 'bank. What color do you polish them with? Do you wear them with anything else? I'm not much of a denim guy lately.

12. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

PSA: Jos A Bank has shoe trees for $10.

1 person likes this.
  13. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

+100 to that comment. Even though, classically brogue equates with casual, in todays world where few people sneeze at dropping $200+ on sneakers, but then balk at $70 "dress" shoes, where even fewer people even shine their shoes, and comfort reigns, NO ONE (well very few) know those old dress/casual formalisms. So, if you like to wear your Park Ave with jeans, big deal, just laugh at the guy who is eating PB and J for a month and sporting his new Yeezy's.

BTW I love my Chucks too.

14. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

First day out for these, got them a few days ago. No polish, I just gave them a quick brushing.

Quick brag about my acquisition: Had some spare time so I popped into an MJM that was a little out of the way from where I was (20 min w/ traffic). Didn't expect anything, but it was where I had found 4 pair of grey Park Aves (all 9D too big). There they were, in box but no bags, and no price (that I could see). Ask the cashier, she asked the manager, who found the price on the box. $119.99. I said OK, but "could you do anything on these, theres a small scuff up here on the shaft". Totally nothing, but figured why not ask. She said, "I can give you 10% off, but then you can't return them." SWEET. Then they scanned the tag, and she said, "Oh, they're on sale, $59.99." I wasn't going to ask for anything else (I'm not THAT much of a tightwad), but she knocked the 10% off that anyway. Final $53.99. Took the "extra", $6 and got 3 PowerBall tickets, you know, just in case I was on a streak.

4 people like this.
  15. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Shakers keeping me merry today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

:D Thanks for the heads up. I was waiting for that happen again.

17. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Vintage Pendletons from my grandfather. I wish they would reintroduce these. I would be especially interested in picking up a couple pairs of wool pants in some of their more contemporary patterns.

18. misterellington

misterellington Well-Known Member

On the bandwagon here too—those pants are amazing. I'm gonna have to dig out the vintage Polo tweed stuff once the weather here in NYC allows for it.

Sixty-plus degrees today in town.

#willineverwearmywinterwoolens

19. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just got a new pair on the clearance sale and decided not to spend the $26 at AE for trees, hoping for a sale. This is perfect timing.

20. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.