1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Any shoe tree deals coming up? I thought we usually see the buy 1 get 3 free from jos around this time.

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Walnut Wednesday! My MTO natty shell (close enough to walnut) Dundees in DESPERATE need of some TLC. No coffee today on doctor's orders. :uhoh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. bathiel

bathiel Well-Known Member

I had to size down a half for the Cornwallis--but kept the same width (8.5D to 8D).

Bernie

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

In contrast to bathiel (which autocorrects to batgirl somehow), I found the 1943 (Cornwallis) last much smaller (both shorter and narrower). A half size up was a bit too loose, haven't been able to try a width up yet. A Cornwallis in my 65 last size could potentially work, but I have a feeling it will not even after break in.

YMMV, of course - I have a low volume foot that is a bit wide at the ball with long toes so I have had issues with some lasts. The 108 actually fits me pretty well, for example.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Bourbon and grey - I like this combination
    [​IMG]

6. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

1st avenues for Walnut Wednesday. I love my brown grain ones, but am still undecided on these. Fit is much looser and the hump under the balls of my feet is going to need some serious break-in.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I have long toes as well, but seem to have a touch of room in the toe box with my 65 last size. However, my ball seems to fit well in a 9.5D or 10D. I have both, but tend to feel more comfortable with thinner socks in the 9.5D. If I wind up trying the Cornwallis, I will probably try the 10D first. It would be nice if AE actually had a description of how they intend the 1943 to fit compared to other lasts. It is a beautiful shoe, but with no AE store within four hours of where I live, the lack of description increases my reluctance to enter into weeks of back and forth shipping trying to be sized appropriately.

8. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

Do you use the same size on 108 as on 65?

9. redmusic1

I bought some 3 for 1's back in January just after Christmas this year. If we don't see it soon, surely they will have it after the holidays.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

$99 Aberdeens today. I am glad I got a piece of the action. I will include a coffee mug the next time.

[​IMG]

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Continuing shoe week with the McTavish....this is tan Dublin leather? May consider grabbing a pair of these in 12eee as the 13d has a bit of heel spillage on the footbed...nothing crazy and I can live with it but if a deal pops up....

[​IMG]

12. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

Happy Walnut Wednesday!

I tried using a bit of black polish on the stitching and broguing on these Jeffersons to bring them out more. I have to say, I like the result much more than the plain and dull original color.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Quote:I had a question about the care for my brown burnished Park Avenues. Would I use the normal conditioner cleaner, followed by the polish .... or only some saddle soap? I was a little confused looking at the care instructions on the Allen Edmonds page: http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...270.html?dwvar_SF270_color=5610#sz=63&start=1 QUOTE: "When caring for your calfskin, use Allen Edmonds Conditioner Cleaner to remove surface residue and to keep leather soft and pliable. To achieve a fine luster, wipe shoes with a damp cloth and allow them to air dry at room temperature. Then, apply a coat of Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish with a cloth or horsehair dauber and allow to air dry. Our new Dark Chili and Oxblood burnished leathers can be cleaned using a damp cloth to remove dirt and any residue. Follow by using a soft cloth to apply our Allen Edmonds Saddle Soap which cleans all smooth leather shoes while restoring the leather's natural oils." END QUOTE I wasn't sure if the saddle soap treatment only applies to the Oxblood burnished leather and not the brown.

14. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I read a blurb (in the NY Post) that said Men's Warhorse (which now owns Jos. A. Bank) had done away with its buy 1 get 3 promotions. It was cited as the reason for missing earnings. Link to a more detailed article in the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/outlook-pummels-mens-wearhouse-1446857014

Don't know for sure if it applies to shoe trees.

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

16. redmusic1

1 person likes this.
  17. nbj08

nbj08 Well-Known Member

18. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

Short question, long answer:

65-lasted strands: 11D. Have never been happy with the fit, my smallest two toes have always been cramped in both directions. However, 11.5D is too loose.

65-lasted Rush Streets: 11.5D. Love the fit. Not too loose, though close.

I'm an 11D in everything else and have been happy with that size. 333 was initially snug but has broken in perfectly (the buttery leather of the independence line probably helps), 201 is good, and everything on the 108 has fit perfectly. I have more room than I need above my foot in the toebox in the 65 and 201 lasts (there is space between the top of my foot and the shoe), while the 333 and 108 are "flatter" and have less excess material.

I really like the Cornwallis look but 11D is too snug and 11.5d is just a bit too loose. If 11E does not work I will have to pass, I think. FWIW, the 1943-lasted shoes I have seen are a bit narrower at the widest part of the shoe than either the 65 or 333, and then taper more sharply toward the tip, which is shorter than those other lasts. Based on my experience, if a 65 is borderline too short and/or too narrow for your two smallest toes, I would guess that the same size will not work in the 1943.
    Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  19. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

There is some 'robust' discussion about saddle soap over on the shoe care thread. I personally don't use it on my nice shoes. Maybe it's harmful, maybe it's not but really, what's the need? My general routine is as follows:

- Wipe off dirt with brush and/or damp cloth.
    - Apply conditioner to entire shoe.
    - Use paste wax on toe cap and heel counters.

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

You win the thread today!! Between the awesome milk chocolate polishing job on your Jeffs, and the incredible coffee mug presentation, I love it all. Well done.
    I would recommend against using saddle soap on your calfskin shoes. It's not good for the leather, which prefers to stay in a more acidic state. There was a fairly exhaustive (and exhausting) scientific contretemps about it in the official shoe care thread last month. Or the one before. I've kind of blocked it out... Use Lexol as a conditioner, and some neutral polish on the "burnished" colors like bourbon, oxblood, and dark chili. The difference between those and "brown burnished" is that in the aforementioned, the base color was created in the finishing process and not through tannage.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.