1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Awesome! I've yet to take mine out for a spin, but they fit awesomely during my test wear around the house. Tell me about your pants, though. I definitely need something nicer to pair with Strands, and those look very interesting.

2. shunted22

shunted22 Well-Known Member

Is it a pipedream to ever get Mcallisters (or anything) in cappuccino shell again?

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Afraid so. Both Horween and AE had issues with color variance. Even wider than usual, if you can believe.

The closest colors out there are Carmina's cognac (readily available) and Alden Revello (good luck getting some of that).

4. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Well-Known Member

Picked up these truffle cordovan Dundee's from the ShoeBank during the RA sale, $297. These are my first shell. Is the creasing acceptable? There is no wear on the soles. From what I've read this is normal with future wear anyways. I've ordered some of their cordovan cream.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

I think a brown LWB is generally thought of as a sold choice for many OJ/OT combos. I sure enjoy mine. What is your concern about going dark brown and why would an FA - a punch cap Oxford - in the same color work better for you? Because it is a great suit shoe?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

Perfectly fine. I had a pair of come like that too.

7. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

I vacillated on picking up shell Dundee's during the RA sale, then my size was gone. So much for living my life without regrets. Maybe I'll get redemption next Fall.

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

If those are 10.5E then those creases are absolutely unacceptable and you would do well to ditch them quickly to avoid needless embarrassment. However, I would ease your burden as a personal favor.[​IMG]

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

going to give my chili shakers a swing with some denim next week....been sticking with chunkier boots and daltons

10. Kahuna75

dang - I need to remember that...tomorrow for sure!

11. Kahuna75

12. Kahuna75

great combo with the pants....I would ask what they are but I am sure whoever makes does not do fat boy sizes :(

13. sartorialism

sartorialism Well-Known Member

I am in love with the Allen Edmonds Hardwick mode. Unfortunately, there is a real dearth of information about them online. I want to know more about the shoe (e.g. care, leather, etc.) and to buy more of them, but Google gives me close to nothing. Does anyone have info? Please tell me everything you know about this show and please, please, please tell me where I can buy it. Thank you!

14. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Got to wear my Fifth Street balmoral boots tonight. I don't get to wear suits enough so I started cheating and wearing these with coat and tie.

[​IMG]

I wish AE would do more with balmoral boots. Perhaps something in oxblood, dark chili or even suede.

2 people like this.
  15. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

If these are truly truffle cordovan I would not use the AE brown cordovan cream. It will cover up the beauty of the truffle shell color. I recommend saphir neutral cordovan cream as needed.

16. Dan08

Dan08 Member

Any update on this? I received my pair of City's and I'm having the exact same issue as yourself (throats bowed out and uneven heel).

17. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

No, man. I sent them back last week, but haven't heard from them. The website doesn't show them arrived, though last time I sent something back they didn't process it for a few days after it arrived.

I hate to hear you had the same problem. Now I'm wondering if we bought a dud model, or ones made by the apprentice elves or something.

I'll post here when I get news.

18. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

Could someone educate me on shoe width? And how that works in relation to the length of the shoe when sizing. For example, I wear 9d in the 7 last and was recommended to try 8.5e in the 5 last. Also, what if a particular shoe was too wide in a d, would you do the opposite and go up a length in c width?

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

Different lasts have different shapes - so the 7 last is relatively shorter and wider than the 5 last, which is why someone recommended you go to 8.5e in the longer, narrower 5 last.

Width will go up as the length increases - so for instance a 14d is wider than a 7d (in absolute terms). If a 9d in a given model was too wide, the first recommendation would be too simply try a 9c in that exact model / last. But all bets are off when you switch to a different last, as again you might be 8.5e in one last and 9d in another

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  20. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, pants are BB Red Fleece

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.