• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow not one can complain about a stubby toe cap on those...they are cool looking

In the interest of Full Disclosure, I wear a 3E, so individual results might vary depending on the width of the shoe.

george325

Reaction score
I'm a recent college grad about to start my career in public accounting. I work in a business casual environment, with stress on the "business", i.e. wool pants and dress shirts, no jackets or ties, but no khakis either. I have the AE Park Ave for formal occasions. For everyday business casual, I have a pair of black AE Presidio loafers and am looking to add one more pair of AE's, preferably in brown. I am looking at the Fifth Ave, the Lexington and the Kenilworth. However, I am concerned about quality issues I've read about the Lexington and Kenilworth. Any recommendations on my second business casual shoe?

lemmy127

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my bourbon Kenilworths. But if you are looking for other suggestions, I don't think you can go wrong with a brown or bourbon Strand.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a recent college grad about to start my career in public accounting. I work in a business casual environment, with stress on the "business", i.e. wool pants and dress shirts, no jackets or ties, but no khakis either. I have the AE Park Ave for formal occasions. For everyday business casual, I have a pair of black AE Presidio loafers and am looking to add one more pair of AE's, preferably in brown. I am looking at the Fifth Ave, the Lexington and the Kenilworth. However, I am concerned about quality issues I've read about the Lexington and Kenilworth. Any recommendations on my second business casual shoe?

Also take a look at the Carlyle, Leeds, and Strand - all in brown calf.

Chris

george325

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with my bourbon Kenilworths. But if you are looking for other suggestions, I don't think you can go wrong with a brown or bourbon Strand.
Will the strand be too much ornamentation to wear 2-3 times a week?

I've read about issues with the Kenilworth bowing at the ankles. How would you say the fit is for the Kenilworth compared to others on the 5 last like the Park ave? Did you have to get a different size?

evilWagon

Reaction score

The Park Aves are for my upcoming wedding. It will be small and casual, but my attire will be immortalized in photos as grey suit w black Park Aves.
-The recent discussions on that topic were helpful.

Congrats on the wedding!

If you decide that your shared closet is just too damn small for some of those lovely shell offerings in my size I'd be happy to liberate them.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read about issues with the Kenilworth bowing at the ankles. How would you say the fit is for the Kenilworth compared to others on the 5 last like the Park ave? Did you have to get a different size? 

Love the kenilworth. Bows a little but I'm not bothered.

Runs slightly looser than park ave, but not enough to change sizes.

Last edited:

george325

Reaction score

Is the extra space in the toes by chance? In the Park Ave, I went with the 10.5 D over 10 D because the 10 D was slightly tight in the outer toes. So I wonder if I'll be okay going to the 10 D in the Kenilworth.

lemmy127

Reaction score

This is my experience as well.

I work in education, so I guess I can't really speak to how things are perceived in the accounting world, but I can't imagine there's anything wrong with semi-brogues in that environment. I wear Strands, MacNeils, and Alden longwings all the time. Perforations make a shoe more casual, not more formal.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Current list, in closet or coming soon:

Shoes
Ashton black shell
Ashton burg shell
Benton brown shell
Leeds burg shell
Patriot brown shell
Westchester burg shell

McGregor bourbon calf
Park Avenue black calf
Scottsdale burg calf loafer
Scottsdale black calf loafer
Patriot brogue suede
Eastport tan leather
Hector black leather
Fulton burgundy leather

Chukkas & boots
Dundee black shell
Dundee brown shell

Fifth Street brown calf
Fifth Street black calf
Bellevue brown calf
Gobi Navy suede
Bleeker Street bitter chocolate suede

Rothsay black leather (recrafted-chili welt, black sole)
Rothsay brown leather

Dalton chili austerity
Dalton boubon (toe / heel perforations only)
Dalton black calf
Dalton burg shell

Long Branch brown
Long Branch black
Long Branch brown shell

Sturgis Bob’s chili
Odenwald chestnut dublin

Bayfield brown shell toe-only perforations
Bayfield brown calf
Bayfield medium brown CXL

Eagle County navy calf
Eagle County merlot calf
Eagle County brown grain

The Park Aves are for my upcoming wedding. It will be small and casual, but my attire will be immortalized in photos as grey suit w black Park Aves.

-The recent discussions on that topic were helpful.

Wow! That is a lot of nice shoes! And they think I have a problem!

Excellent point about the photos - I M M O R T A L I Z E D !

Last edited:

CMT1

Reaction score
Really happy right now to finally have some brown shell!

After driving myself crazy dwelling on another member's gorgeous brown shell Jeffersons currently for sale, I had to admit that I prefer a cap-toe shoe to wingtips, and that despite already owning Strands in bourbon calf and walnut shell, I still wanted a pair in brown. It was about this time last year that this Dappered contest first introduced me to brown shell Strands, and I had originally planned to get them before stumbling upon a pair in walnut shell this past spring.

Aware of my affliction, I received an Allen Edmonds gift card from friends for my recent birthday that almost covered the majority of the cost of shell seconds under the current sale. One pair of brown shell Strands in 11.5 D showed in the system, and the always-awesome John W. at the Destin store called me yesterday to let me know they were in. The only blemishes that I can see are on the sole near the toe in spots that will wear away regardless, so I feel like I lucked into the very shoes over which I pined exactly one year ago.

They had so much polish on them out of the box that the leather had a weird marbleized look to it that was tough to capture in photos:

After some scrubbing with a damp microfiber:

Post brushing:

Color comparison with walnut shell:

Brown shell, walnut shell, bourbon calf:

Brown and walnut shell Strands with burgundy Cambridge:

I hope everyone's week is going similarly well!

Last edited:

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful shoes! As a fellow 11.5D wearer, I am now in the same position you were a year ago!

Last edited:

delmar

Reaction score
My new Strandmoks came today. It took less than two weeks. I really like them. They seemed to have a more robust than usual new shoe smell--it intensified the pleasure of the unboxing.

CMT1

Reaction score

Beautiful shoes! As a fellow 11.5D wearer, I am now in the same position you were a year ago!
Thanks FT! They were well worth the wait. I honestly can't believe how much better they looked once I had removed the majority of the factory polish and gave them a good brushing. I was frustrated because my shots weren't yielding the same robust, slightly red brown that I'd seen in Internet photos but the color started showing through after some work. I can't wait to wear them!
My new Strandmoks came today. It took less than two weeks. I really like them. They seemed to have a more robust than usual new shoe smell--it intensified the pleasure of the unboxing.
Gorgeous shoe!

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After driving myself crazy dwelling on another member's gorgeous brown shell Jeffersons currently for sale, I had to admit that I prefer a cap-toe shoe to wingtips, and that despite already owning Strands in bourbon calf and walnut shell, I still wanted a pair in brown. It was about this time last year that this Dappered contest first introduced me to brown shell Strands, and I had originally planned to get them before stumbling upon a pair in walnut shell this past spring.

Aware of my affliction, I received an Allen Edmonds gift card from friends for my recent birthday that almost covered the cost of shell seconds under the current sale. One pair of brown shell Strands in 11.5 D showed in the system, and the always-awesome John W. at the Destin store called me yesterday to let me know they were in. The only blemishes that I can see are on the sole near the toe in spots that will wear away regardless, so I feel like I lucked into the very shoes over which I pined exactly one year ago.

They had so much polish on them out of the box that the leather had a weird marbleized look to it that was tough to capture in photos:

After some scrubbing with a damp microfiber:

Post brushing:

Color comparison with walnut shell:

Brown shell, walnut shell, bourbon calf:

Gorgeous shoes, and phenomenal photos, as always!

However, I must say that in the above photos, the three shoes look nearly identical!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads