• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the McGregor and will probably get a pair (although I wish they came in Merlot), but in my opinion the Bleeker Street is an abomination. I realize tastes differ, but yeesh.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the McGregor and will probably get a pair (although I wish they came in Merlot), but in my opinion the Bleeker Street is an abomination.  I realize tastes differ, but yeesh.

And that is the one a lot of people like...including me...which is a good thing about AE and them putting out a bunch of stuff.....something for everyone.

Merlot mcgregor wpuld be pretty slick.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all know AE shoes that are shown on their website doesn't do justice at all. With that said, I'm not sure how I feel about the Gobi and the two eyelet only. Reminds me of my clarks

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hopefully not too off-topic...

Thanks for chiming in. Any idea why this is such a hotly debated topic? Has no one asked Saphir? It seems like both sides of the argument are positive the other side is wrong, though I'm not sure which side has presented proof. If I may, what makes you so sure? Is it true for both the Médaille D'Or (MDO) and Beauté Du Cuir (BDC) Renovateur? Actually, what's the difference, anyway?

That aside, do you agree Venetian Shoe Cream has turpentine in it? Does Saphir MDO Cordovan Cream?

Hi Kentyman -

No idea the history and why it would come up here......I don't spend as much time poking around as in the past. Thankfully, busy!

Actually, my company is the distributor for Saphir and Medaille D'Or here in the States - we're the ones who get it to the shops and sellers. The MDO has much more mink oil in it, while the Blue Line Reno has a little coconut oil (or a derivative, not really sure) in it,a s well as a solvent. Believe it or not, even a distributor like me gets little info past the MSDS (which we have to have filed, follow transport regulations, packaging regulations, etc., etc.) and the product info sheets. Producers keep formula's a closely guarded secret, although when I have visited the factory it really doesn't seem all that complicated. I like what works, or at least what works for me, and that's why I sell it. As far as Reno goes, I actually use more of the regular Blue Line Reno myself......and I even think too many people use too much of it anyway. I have a jar of Reno on the bench that's at least a year old - no need to try and soak leather in any Balm you choose to purchase. A little goes a very long way. And for Venetian Cream....always has been a good product although I lost track of it years ago and was surprised to see Nick mention it - I thought they had closed up shop. Glad to see they are still producing, and I'm quite sure there is a place for both products in a shoe kit. If it is the same formula as in the past, I'd say it's much more aggressive than a typical Balm.

iceman45cal

Reaction score
any way to tell what last a shoe was made with if no longer on AE site... Riverside, is a cap toe blucher. I looked at the numbers on the tongue didn't notice any numbers that correlate to current lasts?
Thanks.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

any way to tell what last a shoe was made with if no longer on AE site... Riverside, is a cap toe blucher.  I looked at the numbers on the tongue didn't notice any numbers that correlate to current lasts?
Thanks.

Was the name of the shoe in it? As stupid as it sounds google the shoe name and allen edmonds and the word review and if it was on the ae site it will vome up

iceman45cal

Reaction score
thanks for last two suggestions.
I just picked them up a few weeks ago at Nordstrom rack, riverside model #1410. figured I'd give AEs a shot that way, but can't find a last that matches a 0?

For comparison, I just got the cord park ave during the cord sale and the model number 5805 matches the 5 or 65 last.

reason I'm asking is the riverside tore up my foot and was wondering if the cord was going to do same, but feel better that it must be a different last...

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for last two suggestions.
I just picked them up a few weeks ago at Nordstrom rack, riverside model #1410. figured I'd give AEs a shot that way, but can't find a last that matches a 0?

For comparison, I just got the cord park ave during the cord sale and the model number 5805 matches the 5 or 65 last.

reason I'm asking is the riverside tore up my foot and was wondering if the cord was going to do same, but feel better that it must be a different last...

There was once a 0 last, however it no longer exists. A couple of years back they made the change to where the last digit is no longer the last number. I saw the Riverside about a month ago. My bet is that it was made specifically for Nordstrom Rack. I'm going to guess the 1 last.

iceman45cal

Reaction score
Thanks for info Polo, hoping the cords are a better representation of their work, they better be...

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still can't believe they called it Bobs Chili.

rostov

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of black STF Levis for practically free and couldn't refuse. Haven't worn black jeans in 20 years... thoughts on shoes to pair?

Looking at the pants and what others wear, I'm leaning toward navy, red, and maybe olive? My navy Banchory seems to pair well. The Ridgeway and Walnut Dalton, well, don't.

I imagine black jeans also work well with much lighter colors such as tan or white suede? (EDIT: but I also imagine there isn't enough overlap in the seasons that I'd wear black jeans *and* white shoes very often... alas!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads