1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

Renomat should do wonderfully, as would saphir dye. My wife's a cosmetologist so I have straight acetone sitting around the house.

The welt was colored the same way, just shoe cream and an application brush

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

These and the Sanfords are among my favorite of AE older shoes. Don't have any tips about refurbishment.

3. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

You could try and make them look like this. You can't do a split reverse welt, of course. These are Lexingtons:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

Question: For a long time I thought I was a size 11E on the #5 last which turns out to be inaccurate. I picked up a pair of Jefferson's and 10.5EEE fits me absolutely perfectly (the 11E seems a bit long and narrow despite being an "E" width). I have a pair of 11E walnut Strands which have a slight tear/rip on the toe box on the right shoe. Nothing too noticeable but given this and the fact that they don't fit as well as my 11E Mcallister's (I have no idea why) I was thinking I could "play" with the color a bit. My Strands always looked a bit too "orange" to me and I really like the look I've seen online which seems a bit darker/chili colored. Would I do any permanent damage if I were to give them a coat of either chili polish or dark chili polish? They have already been polished multiple times over the past year with walnut. Thoughts are appreciated!

Side note: I was at Nordstrom Rack yesterday in Southlake, Texas (near Dallas) and found a pair of 11D Mojave V1.0's ($180). I loved the sold on them - split reverse welt (I think that's what it's called - "wider" welt as seen on the McTavish) with a standard chukka boot shoe/gummy sold. While they didn't fit well (see above) holy cow was that sole comfortable. When I need to get my snuff suede Amok's resoled I think I may have to try this!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

I suspect that with the high dye concentrations that anywhere it reached the leather (especially perfing and seams) it is going to cause permanent tinting at least

6. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Merlot McAllister Monday.

7. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

Natty & Gigi welcome the new week...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. billikenman

I've re-died some old shoes with great success - not difficult at all. One thing I'd caution you about though, if you don't plan to strip them with acetone or something else, you may end up with weird splotches of color between places the dye has penetrated through any wax/polish and other places it has not. It might look fine, but just something to keep in mind. I'd at the very least hit the shoes with some cleaner/conditioner and then let them dry before you begin operation.

I agree with you about the orangey-ness of the walnut Strands, though. I believe it's AE's walnut polish that gives them that orange glow that so many of us dislike. I hit them with cleaner/conditioner, stopped using the walnut polish, and switched to alternating between light brown and medium brown saphir. I've been much happier with the results.

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Bourbon with grey to start the week.

[​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  10. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Also going with the strands to start the week. These are officially "brown" shell but have some walnut undertones.

[​IMG]

11. Dario65

Dario65 Well-Known Member

I didn't see a reply to this so I will. Man, those cleaned up great! Fantastic deal for $35. I would think those would be great with a suit for church. The toe is pretty conservative. I suppose it depends on the church, but the buckle seems fine to me.

12. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Lab and the natties are aging quite well!

13. billikenman

That's a great looking combination.

1 person likes this.
  14. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Blue amaze balls. Ouch!

15. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

How many applications of stripping did it take to get that way? I used Renomat this morning and besides getting some stains out, I cannot really tell it made much of a difference...

16. Dario65

Dario65 Well-Known Member

I just happened to be in Chicago for a couple of days last week so I got the the AE store to check out some shoes (N. Michigan). Tired to get to the Shoebank locations near Milwaukee but didn't have time.

We went through a bunch of shoes to see what fit. I have a very weird foot. Wide and the ball is more toward the front. The salesman told me to now worry about the last (generally), and that I needed to go at least 1/2 size up to get the width where I need it. Shoes with more taper in the front are out for me. Shorter taper to the toe and a longer shoe. 10.5 EEE on a 65 last worked pretty well. I could even go to an 11 in some shoes.

I bought a pair of Fifth Avenues in dark chili just because they fit well and I liked them. Chili was too red - not ready to go there yet. Interestingly, the rubber soled shoes don't fit the same for me and I didn't find a pair that I liked. I know I need some, but went with leather sole this time. (Not the best photo.)

2nd day I had these I was at an evening event with a lot of people. Working my way toward the bar some drunken idiot in heels stepped on my left shoe and made an impression in the leather. It's small, but noticeable. Grrrrrr....

[​IMG]

Also get these used Ashtons delivered while I was gone. Not great shoes, but nice enough for the money ($40 on eBay).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  17. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

That was one application of pure acetone, turning the rag frequently and reapplying. I think the brown strandmoks has some sort of over - burnish on it. I noticed that when they got scuffed they turned the more yellow walnut easily. I may have gotten extremely lucky.

18. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Well-Known Member

Happy Monday!

[​IMG]

19. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Well-Known Member

Going to ask here because I'm more familiar with AE sizing than Alden. I will also scour the Alden thread but there is a ton of pages.. .

Plaza last, similar fit to 511 last in D width? Comparing Long Branch/Dalton in 9D to a Plaza in ? Looking into a Plaza last NST boot.

Thanks in advance.

20. thelook

thelook Active Member

What are the relevant factors, pros/cons with regard to A&E shoes in calfskin? Is this a desirable material? Is it as stiff as regular leather? I don't believe calfskin takes a shine as well as other shoe leather. The texture seems like it would be softer and not as smooth. Any insight appreciated, thanks...

Edited to say I also get the impression that the calfskin is not quite as formal/dressy...? Perhaps that is because the character of the shine is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.