1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

^ have to try 6.5E? 5 lasts is tricky, I usually wear 11D on the 7 lasts and 2 lasts, but I wear a 10.5E on the 5 lasts and it fits real nice. Some of the SFers agree that 5 lasts is slightly longer and wider.

btw, I measure a 10.7D on the AE size chart from AE.com.

2. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

That's another possibility, and I might stop by to try them on today. I'm concerned that, despite my measurements, a 6.5 would prove too short. There's very little extra room lengthwise in my 7Ds (maybe a third of an inch? It already feels like the ball of my foot may be too far forward in a 7)
    , and every pair of lower quality dress shoes I've ever owned has been a perfect fit in an 8.

3. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

I think you should have the SA measured your foot for you while u standing.

i think a good rule of thumb that I always use is that when I try them on I want to walk them out right away.

4. sammymvpknight

sammymvpknight Member

This is a two part appreciation post. First, Allen-Edmonds. Not only do they make incredible shoes but they are the only fine shoecrafter that is affiliated with the US military exchange. It was refreshing to see that not only was Allen-Edmonds the standard issue shoe provider for the Navy during WWII, but they still are affiliated and give discounts through the military exchange. I got a pair of AE 1st quality Strands for $170 (no shipping, no taxes). Unbelievable.

Cold Iron and itsmejson get lots of credit for notifying me that the military exchange has an affiliation w/ AE, and also has a special program to get quotes for shoes not on their website. I owe you guys. Thanks!

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I had fit issues too with the 5 last (Shell Strand and 5th Street Boot). My second smallest toe on my right foot was getting pinched for the first several wears (7-8). Eventually they've loosened up and I don't have issues with either.

6. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

That's good to hear. I've worked with two different SAs. One was fairly confident that a little stretching on the 7D would create a perfect fit. The other insisted that AEs do not stretch enough to rely on it to fix a pinching issue and sent me home with the 7E.

Maybe I should try stretching the Park Avenues and then decide what to do with the strands.

7. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for you to find a great pair of shoes at an amazing price!

8. spitshine123

spitshine123 Well-Known Member

Same problem here. Narrow toe and wide heel make for a strange fitting. Wish Ae would come out with a loafer in the same style that fits normal feet

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

No will power. Ended up ordering a pair of Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges. All this talk about AE only doing MTO cordovan in the future has me paranoid plus they look fantastic in Bucksfan's pictures.

10. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

12. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Well-Known Member

haha o man, not this again:rotflmao:

13. Storm33

Storm33 Well-Known Member

Well, the third time is a charm. The new shell PAs arrived today, and they were definitely a different pair of shoes this time. Although they aren't perfect - they have a couple of dings in the upper and some of the stitching is irregular (but only upon very close inspection) - I think they are going to look great once I get them polished. I'm looking forward to getting them home and cleaning them up this weekend.

This experience combined with the chocolate brown Daltons I received from the shoe bank tent sale earlier this week has me back to being a happy AE customer (currently at eight pairs & counting). Way to go, AE! :thumbs-up:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  14. tv2177

tv2177 Well-Known Member

wow I can never find a seconds Dalton is dark brown! they are such a beauty!

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

Great to hear! Start those shells with a good brushing and breaking in on carpeted floors. Enjoy!

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Will power is left at the door in this site...

1 person likes this.
  17. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Well-Known Member

Very excited. Just picked up Walnut Daltons in the Tent Sale. The were not available when I checked last week.

18. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I heard it goes on clearance sale next week, 50% off. I might pick up some at that price.

19. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

20. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Well-Known Member

This is real bad, but after the deal on the walnut strands that I love I had to get more shell!!! Just ordered the last pair of mcgraw in black shell and ordered one PA in black shell. Am I crazy??? I feel like I have shell fever!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.