1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression the 511G was roomier than the 511....I learn new things every day here!

2. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Very nice. Congratulations. Truffle is my favourite shell color. What size?

3. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

I need another pair with rubber soles. Did those of you that own the Black Hills go with your usual 5 last balmoral size?

Thanks

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

You scored a unicorn.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Most certainly not. It's considerably more narrow and shorter. The only last I had to go up from 10.5 EEE to 11 EEE. And it's still on the narrow side. Good thing the voyagers are made of very soft leather, so there's a lot of give.

6. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Well-Known Member

8.5E

7. garland

garland Well-Known Member

Technically speaking, the 511G last is roomier. It was cut that way to accommodate an insole. But, once you do add the insole, in practice it does become narrower than the traditional 511.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@cc808314 so not sure what you have or have tried.
    , but....i went with my normal 65 size and they fit ok, a touch too large, but not bad.

Having said that, I later got the san Marco and Aberdeen and the black hills haven't seen the outside of my closet since[​IMG]

My guess is you'll say they're too wide. But can't hurt to try.

9. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Well-Known Member

Bueller?

10. BKBridge

BKBridge Well-Known Member

1.) I didnt adjust my size on the Warwick. The shoe started very snug on the middle hole but now fits perfectly after 2 wears.

2.) I hear a v tread is better for winter traction but is more prone to water seepage. They're definitely a different feel than dainite.

11. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Well-Known Member

Chili Byrons today. These were my first AE shoes, purchased 15 years ago. They fit like a glove.

[​IMG]

12. Southeasterly

Southeasterly Active Member

Shell Daltons arrived today from the shoe bank. The right boot has misaligned eyelets and the left has a little wrinkle on the shaft. The shell and stitching look like first quality, so l'm thinking these are keepers for the RDA price of 400.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Joining in the "Post Your McTavishes" movement, my Khaki (Grain) McTavishes........

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Looks like you might have a little splotching there on the left as well on the wing area. Overall for $400 they look pretty good to me, the shaft wrinkle will happen anyways and just blend in with the rest.

15. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

picked up a pair of walnut (calf) strands with dainite sole from the shoebank. At $219, it'll replace my current pair that are too big for me (9D which I later found that 8.5D is my true size), and I hope the dainite sole will make them more versatile in my collection; maybe i'll give my current pair to my brother

Traded a few emails with Ben & "Jay" from the Freeport ME location, which they were pretty helpful and said it's a 'good pair'. I asked if they could send pictures via text or email, but they cannot do that - which is understandable but would be ideal as a buyer.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  16. cc808314

Congrats! I wish they had them in my size.

17. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Well-Known Member

Tan McTavishes ordered. There was one pair left in my size at the Destin outlet. Tom said there was a small dent on the outside of the toe box on the left shoe, but overall they looked good. I ordered them and will return them if it's too noticeable.

18. cc808314

I have the Jefferson in 7.5d. They fit ok. I was thinking to try 7d.

19. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in a pair of Walnut Shell Daltons in 9eee (2nds), shoot me a message.

20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Yes, and it's hardly the only one. In fact, AE in recent years seems fascinated with the idea of introducing shoe after shoe made up of all the casual elements you so well described a couple of pages back EXCEPT they make it a bal. I'd love to have some of those leathers, e.g. tan or cognac Dublin, made up as a quasi Macneil.

An exception they got right would be the Rough Collection Black Hills made up as a proper knock about PTB with rubber sole. Great casual shoe. Of course, they promptly dropped it. [​IMG]

BTW, to someone who asked a page or so back, the Black Hills does run just a little bit roomier than other 5 last AE's due to being a blucher and (perhaps) also due to being of slightly rougher cowhide. If you have a chance to get a walnut pair at the closeout price, grab them. Any minor cosmetic defects actually are consistent with the shoe's intended look. A casual favorite of mine, especially in F/W, and hard to beat for the money if from the SB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.