1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelescrest

angelescrest Well-Known Member

Huh? What are you torn about? It's a damn thoughtful present from your wife. You're going to give it back for something else?

1 person likes this.
  2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Haha, oh I agree, it was unbelievably thoughtful. I hadn't even talked to her about different bags, just mentioned that I was going to need something like this soon.

But she's also super practical, and would likely appreciate saving $100 too. If I told her "I love that bag, and there's another one that looks similar that's just as high quality but $100 cheaper, what do you think?", I don't think she'd be the least bit offended. Of course, I suppose I could be wrong.

3. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

The first pair I got were "Natural Tax Waxed Leather" - not sure about the Cognac, but it seems very similar. I'm not an expert on leather, but I think "waxed" is as much a reference to the finish as the leather itself.

Whatever it is, it is a great rustic feel.

4. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

I feel for ya, man. I've been looking at #2 and 3 on your list as well. I really liked the Rush St earlier this year when I saw it in store. If you've been holding out for them, Get 'em, I'd say.

5. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I think you got a great gift.
    The end.

4 people like this.
  6. garland

garland Well-Known Member

I would say that it totally depends on your work environment and what you need. The saddleback is definitely more casual, although if you don't need dressy, I wouldn't think twice about keeping it. They make a phenomenal bag.

I'm not knocking the Strand bag, because believe me, I covet it on a daily basis. Its just on the dressier side, comparatively speaking.

1 person likes this.
  7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

+1 billion

1 person likes this.
  8. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Which one matches your shoe color rotation better?

Well, if she stuffs it up your ***, you'll know she was offended. :smarmy:

1 person likes this.
  9. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though it's nice to save $100 on a briefcase you like as much (or even slightly better), your wife must have put a lot of thought and effort to buy the Saddleback & to surprise you with it.
    You got an awesome briefcase, and an awesome wife. Enjoy it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. angelescrest

angelescrest Well-Known Member

I'm sure you know her well, and I doubt it would be a major deal if you swapped it out. However, you would have a LOT more style than the best dressed person on this forum by accepting her thoughtful gesture. She took the time to pick it out. It's a bag that will last and better with age for years on end, and every time she sees you with it she will appreciate the fact that you use and love the bag she gave you. And hopefully you will feel the same. That's worlds better than whether or not it perfectly matches your favorite pair of AE shoes.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Wisdom abounds on this board, and well beyond shoes.

I am going to keep my beautiful new bag!

9 people like this.
  12. JR Magat

JR Magat Well-Known Member

Or a lot of angry wives from our past mistakes... [​IMG]

good call!

2 people like this.
  13. Levi1

Levi1 Active Member

Sorry, I was under the impression that the OP was asking for advice about the fit. I went back through the posts and no such request was made. My appologies

14. Levi1

Levi1 Active Member

Good call bud

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Well-Known Member

Smart choice. Nicer bag, happy wife. :)

16. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Well-Known Member

saddleback was actually my original choice before seeing the strand double flap briefcase.

17. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I understand. My wife was counting shoe boxes there for a while as well and was starting to get a bit peeved. I will tell you how I handled it. One of my sons also liked shoes and had a need for additional income. I started him in a side business buying and selling shoes to flip on ebay. This means there is a frequent delivery of shoe boxes to the house and a nearly equal number going back out. She now assumes all boxes arriving are just part of that side job. My shoes arrive under that radar and quietly go into the closet and I occasionally remove a less favored pair out through him as well. I killed two birds with one stone: Extra money for him and a perfect cover for my shoe addiction. You may now shake your head in amazement.

2 people like this.
  18. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Well-Known Member

You are an inspiration to us all. Nice work!

1 person likes this.
  19. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

What a thoughtful wife! Great gift.

And you are getting the better bag. But be warned: you WILL be approached by complete strangers to ask about your bag. It happens to me regularly, occasionally by a fellow owner.

And it will look better five years from now. Just don't baby it. It was built to be used so use it and embrace the patina that will come.

In fact, more folks should think of their shoes in that way. [​IMG]

20. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Happy walnut Wednesday! It's getting closer to Friday![​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.