1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rangen930

rangen930 Active Member

I am not sure why I over think these things so much (i.e. shoe purchases).I need to by another pair for my rotation which includes cognac mactavs, brown kenilworths and...that's it.

I like strands but the walnut seems too showy and bourbon often looks odd to me in pictures (with a green cast). I mainly wear chinos and occasionally a pair of gray wool dress pants so 5th aves would be too much. I have grown to like a blucher so I am thinking of picking up one of the following:

1)chestnut 6th aves
    2)chili lexingtons
    3)oxblood leeds
    4)a pair of black cliftons or PAs because I feel like I need a pair of black shoes at least sometimes
    5)a shoe to be suggested that makes more sense than what I have already listed.

What I really want are herring Burlington's but I don't have that much change so I am learning towards the Lexingtons as I ignore all of the posts about toe cap creasing.

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. ShadowOf

ShadowOf Active Member

How about a suede Gobi boot? There are some on shoe and for <$100!!!!

I'm a suede fan in general so a pair of suede bluchers would go well with chinos.

4. alkydrinker

alkydrinker Active Member

Here's my recent sage with the Dundee 2.0 chukkas -

Not sure when/where this AE configuarion was sold - but in the recent Shoebank sale, a pair of loden green suede Dundee 2.0 chukkas was available in my size.

The website had no picture of them, but I bought them sight-unseen, because loden suede chukkas just sound terrific to me.

They are indeed lovely shoes - see pic below. However, while they were marked my correct size, 9.5D, they unfortunately fit significantly smaller than the approx 10 other AEs I own in this size. I also happen to own the Fullerton, which is on the same last as the Dundee 2.0, and yet this pair of Dundee 2.0's is smaller than the Fullerton. I also confirmed that the sole length measures shorter.

My conclusion is that the size was somehow mis-marked by AE - pretty sure they were a 8.5 or 9 - so I've sadly returned the shoes. There are no other 9.5 or 10s available in this model, so I'm out of luck. What a strange and disappointing thing to happen! I am hoping to see this configuration become available from AE in the future.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Casual Friday for me. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Check the site and a few pages back and you will see it is now available! Agree it is a stellar shoe

7. alkydrinker

alkydrinker Active Member

Wow, thank you, I believe those must have recently added. The loden suede chukkas shall be mine! I was thinking maybe my factory seconds were a proto-type or something that would never make it production.

8. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Well-Known Member

9. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Well-Known Member

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Tough luck, but maybe you'll find another unexpected pickup down the line.

For my part, I've never bought AE suede, but those do look awfully nice. The contrast stitching is a downer, though... and I'd prefer Dainite or even commando over the butyl.

1 person likes this.
  11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

@garland (or anyone): is the back line of the cap toe on the Hopkinson any farther back than on the PA?

12. garland

garland Well-Known Member

It does look like the cap is a hair longer on the Hopkinson. Could be the specific pair though.

13. jaask

jaask New Member

First time poster. Today I acquired my first pair of used quality shoes, Allen Edmonds Evanston in walnut. These are the discontinued shoes in 0 last.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. middlepP

Wanted to follow-up on this; sorry for the bump.

Anyone have the leather overlay (not sure if this is the correct term or not) come completely unattached and completely out of the shoe?

15. FaRKle

FaRKle Well-Known Member

Yes, I've had this happen to a pair of brand-new Varno 2.0s. AE took them back for repair.

16. middlepP

Good to know they took them back. Unfortunately for me this pair represents the third pair I've had, as the first two had random lumps in the footbed. Maybe fourth time is the charm?

Pre-statement disclaimer: I love AE, especially their customer service... but I have had terrible luck. Went back and calculated that over half of my purchases directly through AE (more seconds, but still a handful of firsts) have been returned and deemed as a QC issue by them. Over half! And this isn't me being picky about misaligned eye holes or uneven caps - but rather drastically uneven heels, mislabeled sizes/different measured lengths between left & right, lumps in one footbed, gaps between footbed and back of heel, etc. And don't get me started at the color bleeding of both my Kirkwood and Maritimes (which, after talking with AE, I have decided to live with).

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. AE has been great about providing returned shipping back, deemed the issues as QC errors, and when available shipping me a new pair, but at some point I would hope that isn't the only/best recourse they can offer. Making multiple trips to the post office is starting to get old.

17. ColtSAA45

ColtSAA45 Member

I saw those today in stock at the Edina, MN location. Much nicer than the Gobi's, I want both the Loden and Brown variations

18. rc121

rc121 Well-Known Member

Got both my chili grain randolph (seconds, but cannot ascertain as to why) and stone suede Gobi's last night when I got home. The randolph's are awesome and a steal at $127. The suede gobi's were good but had a real rough patch of suede on the toe of one shoe. These were supposed to be firsts but looks like they are out of stock since they were on clearance so I dont think I can swap them for another pair. Curious if anyone else has had a pair with this issue and how the rough spot effected the durability of the shoe? Might still keep them at $137 but not if the suede will crack or deteriorate.

19. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

Good looking shoes. Bought by first pair this week also.................[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

I just received what I understand to be the last pair of brown MacNeil 1.0s, and I love them! Then I checked eBay and sailed a new-in-box shell pair for $300. Is the different between shell and calf so great that I should return these and pay $100 more for the shell pair, or should I just be happy I scored a pair of shoes I've wanted for a long time for less than $200 and move on with my life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.