1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Hoping the MTO program comes back soon!

2. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

Finch with blue chinos for casual Friday.

[​IMG]

3. shoelover

1 person likes this.
  4. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

5. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Well-Known Member

Frustrating QC.

Ordered Patriots a few weeks back to try for sizing; I've outgrown my old Patriot size. One of the pairs, in cordovan no less, was was missing its heel pads. First quality shoes. Obviously I returned them.

Fast forward to today. I received some cordovan Leeds that I ordered from my local store. On one of the shoes, the eyelets are misaligned. A month ago I returned another pair of Leeds, because both pairs of shoes had misaligned eyelets. On the first pair, the flaw was evident without even lacing up the shoes; the cordovan was "warped". On the most recent pair, the problem is more subtle and not evident and laced and worn.

Extremely frustrating on a $650 pair of shoes. I'm debating whether I want to keep keep them or return them for good.

I've had extremely bad luck with first quality shoes from AE lately. Russian roulette. Last year I ordered burgundy Cliftons from Nordstrom, I had to go through 3 pairs before receiving an acceptable one, the previous two pairs had large patches of black dye on the shoes.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

Saw some AE BNIB cordovan on eBay today fron $199-299, and they claim to be 1st. My saved searches were blowing up my devices, but nothing in my size

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Oh wise SF forum, I love my AE shoes, but I need your suggestions for the maker of a good leather, rubber sole, casual shoe that is available in 4E width. Something similar to the Wilbert or Mapleton in looks but I am open. Really prefer something welted and made in the USA, which makes the picking pretty slim. So, do any of my wide foot, high instep SF friends have any suggestions? My best fitting last is the 678, Benton, because they make it deeper for the orthotic and I have the option to remove it for the better fit. Feel free to PM me on this if you choose not to post non AE recommendations on this thread. My feet thank you.

8. shoelover

Me too. Didn't really need them, but I will.

9. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Now that's some enabling if I've ever seen it! :slayer:

10. BoxSRS60

BoxSRS60 Well-Known Member

SOLD!!

I've been needing to get a few for a while, and have been waiting for one of these sales.

11. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Well-Known Member

There's a company called Hitchcock that specializes in wide shoes. Several years ago I bought a boat shoe from them with a Vibram sole that wore and wore and wore. Can't comment on their current quality, though, but here's a link (for what it's worth). Happy hunting!

http://www.wideshoes.com/

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Although deep, the 511-G last runs narrow. I would recommend trying Alden. A 3E in the TruBalance or Barrie last might be equivalent to a 4E in the 511-G last.

13. alexdell

alexdell Active Member

I would just like to share my two new "bargain" 2nd's from the previous shoebank clearance sale. One is the Bleeker Street in Bob's Chili for $127 and the other is the EC in tan grain for $97. The GMTO EC was listed as Eagle River and I thought I would get it for the winter since it should come with the Vibram sole. To my surprise, it was a rejected GMTO EC. The main flaw is the smooth texture on the vamp. It looks like a buffing wheel went through it and smoothed out the grain. I figure it will crease anyway just like my other GMTO brown grain EC so I decided to keep it, especially because of the price. I'm up to 30 pairs on AE now, can't resist buying AE's. I really need to be more picky though & start focusing on the shells ;-)

Alex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

If the Allen Edmonds website is to be believed, I purchased both the last pair of brown MacNeil 1.0s and the last bitter chocolate suede belt in a size 36. I guess I logged onto their clearance site at the right time!

15. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Of course, with Ben it was no problem.

I would have liked to talk to the folks who could look at the shoe and tell me why it was a second, but at $177 for an independence line shoe, I'll take the gamble. I can't get into a 5 last bal without all kinds of stupid tricks, and from the pics I've seen here I like the patina on these better than plain walnut, too.

I've gotten strangely focused on patinas since I got my first Bob's Chilli pair, and I even use black polish on the toe of my LAX to accentuate the dark there. I keep 'em pretty damned shiny for what they are. Never thought I'd care that much.

Interested now to learn how to take care of these without losing some of the contrast with the patina. Maybe some neutral wax to keep the cap toes shiny and nothing more.

16. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

Any idea when the current Shoebank sale will end?

17. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    The flyers posted on this thread said it goes through September 7th. See post #62850

18. 22busy

22busy Well-Known Member

Swung by JAB this evening to pick up some shoe trees. Instead of them being $10 each the SA said they were buy 1 get 2 free. Picked up 3 for $25. Now I'm ready for more shoes.

19. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Well-Known Member

Ok, I received my first pair of AE - Park Ave Merlot I bought from the Shoebank. The only defect is the right cap toe is slightly off alignment, which is fine by me. Beautiful shoe, but a bit disappointed how lacking a polish job come out of the factory.

Now let's talk about fit, as that's ALWAYS the issue for me with pretty much every shoe I've tried. So I'm between 7.5-8E on bannock, so I ordered 7.5E for the Park Ave in the 5 last. I think fit is acceptable and I will keep the shoes, but there it does feel "off" for me in the following areas:

Toe box - just slight smidge tight. Could use maybe an additional millimeter or two.
    Ball/forefoot - just about right
    Instep - this is weird, as I have a low instep, but the fit feel a bit tight. Probably because my instep is low but wide? Flat feet?
    Heels - slightly loose - my heels/ankle are slim narrow, length is ok.

Again, not overly bad fit, but not a great fit. As I said most likely keeping the shoes. I don't think sizing up/down or wider/narrow would help. As you can see depending on the point of my foot, it's bit loose or a bit tight. So I'm just wondering what other lasts/shoe suggestions people would have here...be it AE or other?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@smoothmoose - hmm... So I personally never tried the 201, but from what I heard about it I'd probably give that a try first(closed lace styles).

A few other ideas - the 511 has a more "classic" fit shape-wise. Instead of being longer and narrower, they are shorter and more full in the toe box. I was also going to mention the 73 - I feel like that last would work for the majority if people. Unfortunately (excluding boots), I think the Walton is the only thing left.

Being new to AE, I think you are wise to look into these other lasts earlier rather than later. They make a lot if the "timeless" styles in the 65 so most people immediately pick up like 3-4 pairs of those before admitting the 65 fit isn't great. Bottom line is there are many other options - definitely don't get hung up on the 65.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.