1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

Shell PA's?

2. tharkun

tharkun Well-Known Member

Well its weird eh. My current regular shoes are 59€ shoes from Gallus (yeah you don't know them ;)). I have two pair. One in 40 and one in 41, but both are "wide", although I couldn't tell you if thats the AE equivalent of E, EE or EEE.. I cant tell you which is 40 or 41 without looking at the markings and both are super comfortable but the rubber soles are through through. I glued some leather over the rubber soles to make them last longer :)
    The AE Leeds in 8EEE really hurt my right pinky toe a lot but the fit was perfect otherwise. Now I have the Leeds in 8.5EEE and the pinky is fine but the fit is a bit loose otherwise. This is all on the right foot. On the left, both 8 and 8.5 feel great fit wise and the shoe is not loose, even in 8.5, but the creases are obviously weird and I do think that the shoe is a bit too long for the foot.

Why dont they just make 8 EEEE?

3. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Well-Known Member

creasing on my right shoe is not affecting the cap toe of my PA, but it is slightly affecting the cap toe of my left shoe.... wah, same issue as you lol

4. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Well-Known Member

I just received a pair of Patriot seconds, in burgundy. They have more problems than any of the four or five pairs of seconds I've ordered before -- some loose stitching around the toe box of the left shoe and a sort of divot in the vamp of the right shoe. What do you guys think -- worth returning, and eating the $10 restocking fee? They cost $127.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Well-Known Member

stitching is not a problem whatsoever, but that puncture looking thing on the vamp would make me want to return them.

1 person likes this.
  6. traditional AE

traditional AE Active Member

The Warwick and Norwich are very different shoes from my perspective. I have both. The Warwick is a lower profile, longer looking shoe. Mine are an 11D. The Norwich is a higher profile, thicker soled shoe. I believe mine are also 11D but could be 11.5 B, I don't recall. I believe the Warwick does have a padded insole, but hadn't noticed until your question.

7. traditional AE

I posted a response on the next page.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Yes feet get flatter and wider with age l as the tendons loosen up. In the meantime thicker socks would help. Or get an orthotic insert to reduce the volume inside plus you get additional cushioning.

You could also choose models with poron insoles which take up more volume or the indy line insole which is basically the standard leather insole with and extra leather topped cushion on top.

While you are considering these things, feel free to kop my 8E burgundy shell strands that you see in my sig :)

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Ouch. I didn't know feet COULD even get wider than mine are currently. If and when that happens? Bespoke.

10. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

Loving these shoes............

11. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:Shell PA's?

Yeap, from Earl. However after finding some Alden 9015s I'm torn.

12. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:How does that Rutledge compare to the PA?

And is there any last that is known to have a bit more room in the toe box?

I got them both in the same size. I normally wear and measure a 12D in most lasts. I briefly had some Harrisons in 12D that fit good, but since this Rutledge was only available in an 11.5D I had to try it. Right foot felt great but the taper to the toe on the left got my pinky pretty good. And being 2nds no telling if it was something funky with the lasting process. Its all for the best though, as beautiful as it is it would get limited use in my rotation right now.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@traditional AE - had a question for you. Is it just me or do the older 97 loafers (Jermyn, Westchester, etc) fit much narrower than the Grayson, even if they are the same width?

Btw - those Warwick do look really nice. I never tried that one.

14. AEAddict

AEAddict New Member

Greetings gentlemen. I'm a newb to the SF and the AE world. Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been perusing this great forum and I appreciate the knowledgeable people and info. So I owned ZERO AE shoes 3 months ago and now I'm the proud owner of 11 (sorry, only 7 pairs pictured). Yeah, I went nuts but its a healthy mixed of first and seconds and also used pairs from ebay. I'll post a few pics of what I'm working with. Looking forward to interacting with you freaks!!!

Back Row L to R :
    Park Avenues - Black
    Cliftons - Walnut
    Mcallister - Merlot
    Strands - Walnut

Front Row:
    Westgate - Black
    Austin - Chilli? (I believe these used to be walnut and were burnished.)
    Vintage Leeds - Burgundy

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. traditional AE

Cannot comment on those two, but older shoes on the same last are different. My original McAllisters are a 10D. By newer ones are an 11D and the older pair seem larger. I have an older Grayson in an 11B that fits fine, and a newer one I believe in an 11D that equally fits fine. I had a Newport I never could wear in a 10.5D due to pressure on top of foot, but now have an I believe 11b that fits awesome.

16. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

@traditional AE - thanks for your response. Was wondering about the variation between older and newer styles in the same last.

I also wanted to take a minute to apologize if I came off as rude in any of my previous responses. I have experienced a lot of frustration in general with AE in terms of things not working ( fit-wise) and stores not carrying and/or refusing to bring in other sizes. I was told that only the 65 last worked for me and that nothing else could possibly work out, and also that I wasn't "cut out for loafers". Needless to say I was pretty hell bent on proving this wrong, and in the process have tried on more stuff than most people could possibly imagine. I will never claim to be an expert, but am definitely able to provide info where i had experience. Sometimes i get a little carried away with the whole Neo "the one" thing but in real life I'm not like that at all, I'm just joking around (although i have been told i look like him a little). So hope we're good-

17. fiercekrypton

fiercekrypton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm gonna sell these, I guess they don't work with jeans sadly.

18. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

Well they weren't there today :-( I braved the zoo, made the trek, and was sorely disappointed.

19. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Anyone else disappointed AE doesn't make the Delray or Lasalle in Walnut?

20. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Well-Known Member

-----------------------

Well, I'd like to see the Delray in Walnut but the old Chili is close enough for me. I would REALLY love to see it in Burgundy or Oxblood, though. Not a fan of the Lasalle, myself. It would be nice if AE would bring back the Bradley in calfskin colors -- seems like an NST is a pretty basic style.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.