1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiercekrypton

fiercekrypton Well-Known Member

2. LeviMay

LeviMay Well-Known Member

The Premium Polish is cream based, so, after buffing, gives some shine, but not much in the way of "coating". I always add wax on the toes, and notice that, after a rain, I have spots on the vamp where there's no wax, but not on the toe where there is.

The key is learning to apply it lightly. I went through a lot to begin with; it's easier to pile it on and brush than it is to spread out a smaller amount. A couple coats of cream all over followed by a couple coats of wax on heel and toe and you should be solid for at least a couple weeks, depending on usage.

3. LeviMay

Also, you'll want to apply minimal polish at flex points, as that's where it's most likely to flake or pop off. Focus on conditioner and cream at those spots.

4. LeviMay

Lastly, this is what a drunken Canadian with minimal shoe experience recommends. I wear Swims overshoes in the snow to minimize any damage past regular use, and do my best on upkeep. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

5. fitzcooper

fitzcooper Well-Known Member

I'll confirm that smartwool socks are a game changer. Highly recommended. Can't wait for fall so I can wear smartwool socks with my mto snuff suede long branches again. They have a combo leather/commando sole and are very comfortable. Have a nice weekend everyone.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

With all the talk about wool socks, here is a thumbs down review of the Tretorn no show socks. I was excited because these are majority merino wool. They also had the rubber nipples that should prevent socks from coming off. However, they still slid down. Can't recommend them. Here's a link for reference:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tretorn-merino-wool-blend-no-show-socks/3832971

7. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I wear SmartWool Diamond Jim socks all year round. They're fantastic. Keep your feet cool in summer and warm in winter. Wool is a wonderful fabric.

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

DarnTough best socks made. Buy 1 pair you'll never buy anything else . Word

9. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

DarnTough is amazing, but they don't offer true dress socks. Even their so-called dress socks are not formal since there's generally two color tones: a darker heel area than the rest of the sock - similar to athletic socks.

Also I find that, I would need to increase my shoe size by .5 to compensate for DT's thickness as compared to Pantherella dress socks.

10. fiercekrypton

fiercekrypton Well-Known Member

the stuff,im using has a sponge applicator and you squeeze it out. Is that cream or cream polish?

11. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Yes. As opposed to wax in the round tins.

12. colco

colco Well-Known Member

Randolph's in the field

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. HealthActuary

HealthActuary Well-Known Member

Is that burgundy?

they are beautiful.

can't wait for the randolph 2.0s to come.

14. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Being a relative newby to AE I have not been around long enough to know previously released styles. But one of my current favorites is the Shreveport, with its woven sides. I was therefore really intrigued to find the Winhall style on Ebay. I'm not really sure of its reputation on SF, but I really liked it. Sure, it would have been great to find a new pair in chili or other color, but my new pair in black makes me wonder why it is still not around. I think it makes a nice break from all of the brogue holes in all my other shoes, including the Shreveport.

[​IMG]

15. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I like em. I would like em more if it were only the toe and heal that were solid, but beautiful and different nevertheless.

16. colco

colco Well-Known Member

They are indeed. They came off as too red when they were new, but have mellowed nicely. The Randolph is a nice loafer shape IMO, sleek enough for a flannels, jacket and tie, yet still appropriate with chinos or denim.

17. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Have to post these beauties. It's not often I find Allen Edmonds in as good shape as these. This is why I love shell. Recrafted (and worn maybe once after that) and look at how great those uppers look. Sadly not even close to my size (these are a 12 D). :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

You are describing the Shreveport. Derby style, as opposed to the balmoral of the Winhall, but I really like both.[​IMG]

19. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

I like the shreveport too, but its a brogue and a blucher. That's a bigger difference between what I described and the Shreveport than there is between the FA and PA. Being in the deep South and still wearing a dark suit on many Sundays, I would love to have a woven balmoral in black without all the holes. The Winhall would work, but I would prefer what I described. I will, however, be keeping an eye out for the Winhall in my size on eBay.

20. colco

colco Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.