1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

Thoughts on McGregor versus MacNeil?

2. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage for these walnut Dalton 2nds. Ended up staying with my 5 last size and gave them some tough stretching via thick boot socks. Last night I finally got around to wiping off the AE gunk. Then proceeded to hit everywhere with 3 light coats of walnut polish, then the toe & counter with a couple light coats of bourbon, and finally a touch of neutral for the toe. They could still use some brushing/clothing, but they are getting there. Hoping to eventually darker them to be closer to bourbon color, but want to take my time to get it just perfect.

Some crappy cell pics, in early morning indirect light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Some in the wild shots... I think the 1st pic is a good representation of their true color. They aren't nearly as yellow/orange as they appear in the 2nd pic (super bright direct sun).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Friday, everyone!

4. Hayseeds

Hayseeds Member

I've purchased a couple pairs of shoes online and I've had some success, but it's been hit or miss and I'm looking to finally make a trip to a storefront for some definitive sizing assistance. Does anyone here have personal exprerience with the either the Tysons Galleria or Reston Town Center location?

5. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Reston has been my go to store for the past 2 years. Steve is fantastic. The Tysons store just open, I plan to make a trip out this week.

1 person likes this.
  6. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of McGregors in Dark Chili Calf (which I happen to be selling, but not because I don't like them) and I have a MacNeil (1.0) in Natural Shell Cordovan. However, the MacNeil 1.0 is being discontinued in favor of the MacNeil 2.0, which is slightly different.

In terms of my thoughts on each:

McGregor: beautiful pattern, really nice and classy medallion, but a bit of a contradiction - it's a longwing, which is typically a less formal shoe, on a single leather sole with a flat welt, which is typical of a more formal dress shoe. I think it works, but to some it may be a bit odd. You can dress them up, or dress them down. It's available in a wide variety of leathers, and is on a classic AE last - the 65.

MacNeil 1.0: classic longwing pattern, with a chunky double sole and a storm welt. The shoe has piping around the eyestays and around the ankle. The pattern is a bit "low" on the shoe, which in certain sizes can look a bit smushed. It also has very noticeable pinking which might be too much. A less formal, more casual shoe. Still available in Burgundy Shell, but other calf colors are being phased out. On the 97 last, which has a more tapered toe than the 65 last. I find that the 1.0 longwing pattern doesn't work as well with the tapered toe of the 97 last.

MacNeil 2.0: same classic longwing pattern, with the same chunky double sole and storm welt, but without the 1.0 piping. The pattern is "lifted" on the shoe, and the shoe is still on the 97 last, but with the higher pattern, the shoe appears less cramped, more elegant, and the tapered toe is less noticeable (the shoe overall looks more like the Alden LWB, which is a great thing). They also changed the edge/welt color to more appropriately match the leather color - medium brown with the Dark Chili and Walnut MacNeil 2.0s, which looks fantastic. The 2.0 also has a Poron insole, which makes the shoe a little bit more comfortable.

Overall, I'd say that the MacNeil 2.0 is an upgrade over the 1.0 (although the lack of piping is a minus), and the final decision comes down to which leather color you want, and whether you want a sleeker longwing that can be dressed up or down, or a slightly more casual, traditional "gunboat" style longwing that's a bit less formal.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. garland

garland Well-Known Member

I'll second that about Steve. Tysons Galleria just opened, and he will be there from now on.

8. oowtfmate

oowtfmate Active Member

Thank you for that!

May I ask why you're getting rid of your McGregors?

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Another thought about Tysons vs Reston. If you are planning to make a purchase, there is special pricing for the grand opening at Tysons. I'm guessing it could be about 15%.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

I like the laces, especially if you are wearing the blue shirt. The only thing that might make it better would be some patterned socks with some blue in them. Thumbs up from me. Chris

1 person likes this.
  11. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Yes, laces-socks-shirt matching is really the way to roll. Just don't do solid colored socks - patterned socks come off much better when doing the laces-socks-shirt matching.

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Oh no!!! Horror!!! This means I will just have to go sock shopping. [​IMG] Looks like it just can't be helped. Thanks for the good feedback.

1 person likes this.
  13. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I have noticed several posts lately over the "lack of piping" in some of the new models of classic shoes. This is occurring on less classic shoes like the chili Benton. I, too, thought the piping had been removed and I voiced my opinion this "downgrade" to Mr. Graangard's attention. He responded that the newer piping was thinner, but still there. I checked the web images closely for the 2.0 and, sure enough, the piping was thinner, but present. I then realized my bigger issue was that the newer piping was the same color as the shoe and it just disappears without the contrast. I personally thought the contrasting darker piping really made the shoe pop and the lack just does not have the same effect. Oddly, the burnished walnut version of the Benton still has the contrast and now pops more than the chili.

14. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

I have the exact opposite opinion - the piping was one thing I always hated on these models, and now I might consider getting them in the new versions.

15. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

You're welcome [​IMG] This is one area where argyle socks are very useful.

16. misterellington

misterellington Well-Known Member

Youse mugs is too kind! :)

17. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Those seconds look great. I would use the walnut cream polish sparingly only as over time shoes take on a strong orange hue from the creams pigment. I would recommend neutral cream polish. Also I think the look would benefit if the denim can be cuffed/hemmed a bit to reduce the amount of break.

18. delongej26

delongej26 Member

19. delongej26

delongej26 Member

Well, I finally convinced myself to purchase these, and I guess there was a glitch in the system. They were never available. I'm bummed, but my wallet is happy.

20. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

Uh......no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.