1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

V-Treads can be added by any competent cobbler after you get them. The main thing is that they use the cement method and don't stitch it on. I've done this with several pair of AE shoes since here in Colorado you might suddenly find yourself walking in snow, unexpectedly. Particularly during spring.

I find that wearing the shoes with leather soles for a while helps break them in faster/better vs having the rubber attached from the factory. So I wear mine for a few weeks, then it's a trip to Dardano's for a V-Tread addition. It gives you all the benefits of a leather sole, in terms of custom form fit, plus the additional weather protection of rubber.

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Well-Known Member

Given your affinity for the Chili Delrays, I would def buy another pair in different material. A darker pair could be just as versatile and provide some rotation relief for the chili pair.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

My experience with AE customer service has also been outstanding. Several of us have tried to warn others about the addiction of shell, usually to no avail. A bit more than 2 years ago englade321 did an outstanding job of it IMO:

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

LOL, the only way to cure the AE addiction is to move into harder drugs: Alden, Vass, Carmina, Crockett and Jones...

1 person likes this.
  5. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    So, are you saying AE is a gateway shoe?

1 person likes this.
  6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

7. angelescrest

angelescrest Well-Known Member

LMAO...it is true, I think, because I started looking at the UK websites. Thankfully some of them didn't have the models I was interested in in my wider size...

Too late! I just ordered my first today (that was the third). Maybe I'm done for.

8. wanderedsouth

wanderedsouth Active Member

Thanks for replying but this is straying from what I was after. I'll try to be more clear:

The McTavish has a thick double leather sole. Would adding the V-Tread sole to this look or feel strange?

It's an available option so I guess it's ok but I wondered if anyone here had an opinion on this.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Yeah I could have used these warnings about 29 pairs of shoes and 2 years ago... [​IMG]

Not that I would have listened. I have been eyeing the 8D walnut shell (likely natural) Strands at the shoebank for days now hoping someone would just buy them already. I am this close to pulling the trigger and selling something off to justify it. I don't even wear my brown shell Strands all that much but the rarity and less formal color has me really considering it. Cordovan hunting is an addicting game.

10. Maxy

Maxy Well-Known Member

Guys.. I see 2 belts - Poplar Dress (32mm) and Wide Basic Dress (35mm). Which is better with a suit and dress pants? I prefer 35mm buckle. Will all suits fit the 35mm belts?

11. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

I had a different experience - Just got back from the store - wound up with four more pairs. Had ordered in the Kirkwood in both the dark and golden brown and ended up with.....neither. Don't get me wrong - they're top notch, probably one of the best boat shoes I've ever tried - including the older AEs like the Westbrook and other stuff from Sperry Goldcup. Went with my 65 last size (down 0.5 length) and the fit was fine, some minor bowing, drop of heel slip, but just enough room up front that they were very comfortable. But I had to consider - I'm just not a boat shoe guy. You could have given me the best boat shoes in the world, they just wouldn't be enough to "convert" me. Absolutely fantastic for anyone who can get good use out of them, but I just couldn't see it for myself. Agree - the navy is wickedly dark but they look really nice. The dark brown and light brown were really similar, but the harsh contrast of the dark brown with the white sole made me think the golden was the better of the two.

12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Golden brown and navy are the way to go for colors on the Maritime. I have the navy and a friend has both so far (his pics below), I will hopefully snag the golden brown soon. I love boat shoes and would even consider the green and red if the price drops much lower.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Golden Brown vs OSB brown CXL loafer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  13. Whirling

Whirling Well-Known Member

So, here are my brown shell cordovan Park Avenues in 10D. I just bought some new jeans and have included a photo of the two together. Is this a ridiculous pairing? The jeans, btw, I bought at a store here in Philadelphia called "Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" and they are called "The Greaser" by Left Field. They need to be hemmed, but I didn't show the cuff, as I understand cuffs on jeans are highly controversial. Have people really been banned for showing photos of cuffed jeans here?

Regards,
    Jon

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

1. Personally I would never wear a balmoral with jeans. And although I've read that cordovan's "heavy-duty" roots should make it more of a casual shoe, I'll bet many people feel that the shine (and price) make them less casual, not more. That's how I feel FWIW. Also, the fairly loose fit on the jeans is a poor match for the silhouette of the Park Ave IMO. 2. Cuffs are controversial? I didn't know that. I always cuff. 3. Beautiful shoes. I wish I had some cordovan.

1 person likes this.
  15. Patrick30

Patrick30 Active Member

So I got a pair of Walnut Strands for that sale they have goin on . I believe the factory seconds. So some minor blemished I notcie in the leather like some obvious color variation and sight stripes. Not many or large but a couple small . I'm assuming no but is there any kind of polish that would help the color or those blemishes out? And if so,what color polish is best so I don't ruin the shoe? I don't mind if they become a little darker.

16. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Yea Grayson's have a very minimal amount of blemishes. Pretty pumped and I like the dual coloring. Can't wait for the Daltons to get here only to be stored away until November.

17. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You should buy them. They are beautiful.

2 people like this.
  18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

That Dundee is awesome. Looks better than mine. What kind of welt/edging is that? Looks Al out too good to be AE ;)

19. Maxy

Maxy Well-Known Member

Got both my shoes. Dark Chili Fifth Avenue and Neumok Brown. They sent me Neumok in wrong width, will return it.

Do my Fifth's look okay? There is a black crease, more on right leg.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. froggy41

froggy41 Member

This is ridiculous! Not sure if anyone has experienced this...
    I called the NY Riverhead store this afternoon and provided my CC information. The SA took my CC information and now I have 4 fraudulant transactions from the Long Island area. Needless to say, the shoe order was not processed.
    I am appalled that this happened and cannot believe something like this would happen when ordering AE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.