1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

Do yours have the dainite sole? The ones I've seen indicate Toby mini lug

2. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

Check out AE's Bombay belt in walnut. It's my casual go-to belt with walnut / natural colored shoes/boots. For dressier occasions, I usually do sport the matching Manistee belt.

Edit: I thought this was a close-out style, but it's not - it's still available at AE:
    [​IMG]

My casual lighter belts:
    [​IMG]
    The boots on the left are walnut shell that have darkened over time (can you say Ravello?) The belt is the Lamar, which is a casual version of the Manistee. It works well with my Long Branch boots also.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. delmar

delmar Well-Known Member

They have the dainite sole.

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Thanks gents. I'll give them some TLC tonight.

5. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

Loafing on a Saturday afternoon...
    [​IMG]
    Burgundy shell on the front row; truffle & brown shell on the back; black shell on the far end.

Beef Rolls...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The rubber-soled shoes are AE; the leather-soled shoes are Rancourt.

4 people like this.
  6. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage for Bourbon Daltons. It took 4 tries, but I'm happy with the results! The leather creaks like mad. I kind of like it, but it's too loud around other people, so I'll give them another wear before greasing them up. I like all my AE's but I like the Daltons the best.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

Keep us posted. Mine should be here sometime this week...

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

I wore my bourbon moras yesterday for the second time and they were loud as well...haven't had this happen with my other 3 pairs

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Well-Known Member

Lather them with some leather lotion to soften the leather and they won't make anymore noises. Happened to me when I wore the bleecher st for the first time.

10. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Went TTS with 13D (pictured next to a pair of shell Kenwoods). Length feels a tad shorter than the 5 last, but I was hoping for that. The width was a bit more snug than I was expecting, but it was definitely welcome considering CXL will stretch.

Basically, I walked in, put the shoe on and said: "Yep, ring me up."

1 person likes this.
  11. Trader George

Trader George Well-Known Member

One pair of shoes left if anybody wants an incredible deal. Walnut Harrisons 8D + shoe trees. Light wear and excellent condition, $150 shipped to CONUS via USPS Priority Mail. Can see the listing in my signature. Need these gone before Wednesday (so by Tuesday), as I'm leaving then.

12. Maxy

Maxy Well-Known Member

I want to ask my question here hoping this will give me better answer.

After getting my Park Avenue in Black, I'm looking to get Fifth Avenue in Brown. This will be for Navy suit at a wedding. Which color would be good with Navy suit in Fifth Avenue? http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1?style=5737

• Bourbon Calf
    • Walnut Calf
    • Dark Chili
    • Brown Burnished Calf

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

13. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I would recommend Dark Chili. It's a fantastic color and very versatile, and will go very nicely with a navy suit.

1 person likes this.
  14. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

@Maxy I'd go with the standard brown burnished for versatility, especially if you don't have any brown oxfords to this point. If you do have a few brown dress shoes already then dark chili is my second choice. I don't think I'm going to buy many more AE shoes yet I still do want a pair of something in that color. I'm not a fan at all of the Bourbon finish as IMO it often comes out looking pretty streaky/bad and it's hard to re-do on your own (it's a burnish put on the walnut AE's). Any chance you're a 10D? I've got a lightly worn pair of brown burnished Fifth Avenue first-quality shoes I'm looking to unload for cheap as it turns out I'm really a 9.5D..

15. Maxy

Maxy Well-Known Member

Thanks..

Thanks, I do have some brown but not AE. Monk strap and leather loafers. Was also thinking to wear this Cole Haan leather monk(http://i.imgur.com/0negjr5.jpg) but I learnt now monk straps is no good. That shoe is still unused.

Strangely, my size is always 10D for all my shoes and when I went and tried the AE Park Ave in the store, 10D looked tight and salesperson said, I should try 9.5E and it was perfect. Thats what I ended up buying.

16. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

I've been putting Vaseline between the flaps/straps.

17. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Walnut Melrose with navy suit. Too casual?

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

19. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

For all of you out there who enjoyed my previous posts of my two pair of Voyagers, I also have a pair of the Voyager's cousin, the Desert Mountain, which I wore today. Here's the Desert Mountain, enjoy..........

[​IMG]

......these weren't even Seconds. They were Thiirds or Fourths (or whatever) but I still can't figure out what made them Thirds or Fourths (or whatevers).

20. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

They will all go with a navy suit and look good doing it. Walnut is the least versatile and will stand out the most. People will notice your shoes from a distance. Good thing they are nice shoes! Brown is the most versatile and the least noticeable. Chili and bourbon are my favorites. If I still couldn't decide, I would bring my shirt (and tie if wearing one) into it. Then feel like Mike Epps on the night before the first day of school: He would lay out his outfit and say "ooooh I'm gonna kill 'em tomorrow!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.