1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

DGY - noticed there was a shell Grayson available - you should check that out. Others might disagree, but I found the Grayson to be roomier in the toe box - really slightly, but enough that I had no issues. I'm thinking that, plus the shell being looser than the calf might make them work for you. Little more expensive than the Westchester but I think they're worth it.

saw your other post about the strand. Call Ben around 10 - he is there Fri in the morning and should be able to tell you what the story is with the returns, no bs.

2. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

Yes. I don't know which models, but calf is certainly included as well.

For myself, I've already reserved a pair of shell Kenwoods..

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  3. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

Walnut shell Daltons on the shoebank in 13B... $539

It's possible these are natural shell from the trunk show, but given the old styles and cordovan we've been seeing pop up recently, it could just as well be legitimate old-stock as well. Either way, it will be a great color...

4. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

What a size, though. Brutal.

5. jubu

jubu Well-Known Member

Ha...I actually thought @mreams99 was referring to the email/ad as ironic given all the drama brought on by the lack of attention to detail by AE as of late...I guess the ad is funny in more ways than one...

6. h0ho10

h0ho10 Member

Hi guys,

Need your opinion on my Fifth Aves. I sent them in for a recraft and when they came back, the right shoe where the laces are (perhaps called the tongue?) seems to be slightly off centered. It feels like it's slanted to the left a little and the sides are out of proportion. If it helps, these were firsts.

Is it just me or do you guys see the same?

Thanks for your help in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Quiet you. That's a perfect size... I ordered them and (obviously) returned yesterday. Unless natural shell is darker than I think, it is walnut... One of the reasons why I returned them is because the color was nearly the exact same as some cognac shell wingtip boots I have from Carmina.

The other reason is because the right boot has a crooked tongue and fully functioning brogueing here:

[​IMG]

It's unlined and a line of stitching missed connecting the two pieces of shell for a few inches there, so you can fold back the piece on the inside and literally see through the boot through the brogueing (I hope that makes sense).

8. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Yes, although to be perfectly honest with you - tongues on shell Daltons are very rarely straight, and the inside broguing is often totally unlined (and if you fold back the inside piece you can see through it). I actually think that's a good thing. To each his own. I'd have kept them if I were you. You probably won't see Walnut shell again for a very long time.

9. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not a fan of having redundancies in my shoe collection, so I wasn't going to keep two boots that are basically the exact same save for a few minor details (medallion pattern, proportions of wingtip, brogueing on the heel and shaft, and sole type). If I had kept them, I would have sold the Carminas... and I don't have a lot of faith that I would have recouped the cost of the Daltons for them because of the unpopular size (11.5UK). Also, the crooked tongue made the fit of the boot feel weird.

10. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Ah, didn't realize the Carminas were boots. Misread your post.

Totally understandable, in that case.

My congac shell Carmina wingtips and my walnut shell Daltons are very different shades.

[​IMG]

11. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Well-Known Member

No, not seeing it. Looks fine to me.

12. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Not seeing it either. Enjoy them and don't worry too much.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

@h0ho10 in not seeing anything wrong with those shoes other than a slanted toe cap.

14. garland

garland Well-Known Member

uh oh....

15. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

I agree about the slanted cap. Also looking at the top of the vamp, it does seem to veer to the left a bit. It's hard to judge from the photos, but it's not impossible they relasted it incorrectly.

16. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Shoebank shows the Cambridge in the special order size I need. I wonder if I should roll the dice and wait for a better sale.

17. garland

garland Well-Known Member

I doubt that cordovan seconds will ever go lower than this. Probably a good time to jump on it.

18. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Buy them.

19. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Walnut shell Daltons today.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

I could even go narrower probably. For reference, have the Sanford in B width, and they are fine. Haven't tried much in the 222 last, and the Norwich that I got is very narrow in the toe box, even in D width. To the point that I have to either try stretching them or sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.