1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Let's see, five of your six suits are med-gray or darker and many of your SC's are dark, and of the two dress shoes you have, one is essentially a walnut shoe with heavy burnishing, and part of you wants to buy another walnut shoe? I think that other part of you (see bolded) is on the right track. I'd listen to it.

I don't know how often you wear the sport coats, as opposed to the suits, but you might consider not going with four bals if you wear the SC's with regularity.

So, one line up might be:

#1 black PA (you already have)
    #2 brown FA or equivalent from another maker
    #3 bourbon Strands (you already have)
    #4 burg longwings (perhaps splurge on shell Macneils?)

That way you have two classic CBD shoes for suits, the Strands to bridge the gap between casual suits and SC's, and the gunboats just because. [​IMG]

If work is almost all suits all the time, and odd jackets only occasionally, you might go:

#1 black PA (you already have)
    #2 brown FA or equivalent from another maker
    #3 burg McAllisters or shell Cambridges
    #4 bourbon Strands (you already have)

If you go with a four bal line-up, you should consider a future #5 to be a loafer or LWB in brown/burg shell.

2. MUFCreddevil

MUFCreddevil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed thoughts!

Yes I know that Bourbon and Walnut are similar. I really love the Walnut shoes though.

When you say Brown in #2 are you saying Brown Burnished (ie dark brown)? I haven't really considered the dark brown as I was thinking of the Bourbon Stands serving that role.

3. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

Thanks CC!

They do have the poron insole, v-tread sole and combination heel. The insole did take up a bit of extra room, but the snugness is subsiding fair quickly/comfortably. I took the same size as my 65 and 108 lasts (13D). The extra instep height is almost negligible thanks to the insole, but still welcome since I have a pretty high instep. Heel-to-ball hits me dead on (the 65 h-to-b is a tad long). Might just be my foot, but I seem to have a bit of extra toe length compared to the 65. The 201 is both beautiful, and my favorite last.

4. Neognosis

Neognosis Well-Known Member

I have a pair of new Brooks Brothers perforated captoes, which I believe are made by AE, and the squeak like CRAZY. I am considering returning them. It seems that the poron insert compresses when I put my weight down and squeaks. It is unbelievably annoying.

5. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite lasts, agreed. I'm glad they're keeping it around and bringing out more offerings in it.

PS - the shell Rogue GMTO is up to 6 interested folks, in case you want to treat yo self after your engagement!

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

Regardless of brand, I'm referring to a brown captoe, either a "punchcap" like the Fifth Avenue or a plain captoe like your PA. And, yes, in a darkish brown. Given all the suits you wear, assuming you wear mostly suits all week, I think you need a second dark, traditional captoe to go with your PA. I don't think AE's bourbon - though gorgeous - is as versatile as a darker brown, nor do I think a medallioned, "brougued up" shoe like the Strand is as versatile for suits as a punch cap. I know others disagree. Combining those two characteristics for your #2 suit shoe is not something I would recommend.

While something like the Strand in walnut is very good for certain casual and seasonal suits like those in linen, seersucker, and poplin, I just don't think that color would serve you well as a year round, workhorse "suit shoe" in a limited oxford-bal rotation.

Note: I freely admit many folks here wear their walnut or bourbon Strands way more liberally than I would. I'm probably throwing out a minority view, or at least a conservative one. Just my two cents. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you pick.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] bought these recently, but I'm thinking they area a tad too narrow for me. Definitely impressed by the first pair of suede AE, but likely won't keep it. They're also my 6th pair of AE in under year

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  8. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Gents,

I would like to get an opinion on a pair of strands I recently had recrafted. Right out of the box, I noticed something was "off", and I realized that the sole edges were protruding much more than normal. Its also not even - one side of the shoe has had the sole sanded down to the stitching and the other protrudes. Just wanted some opinions before I contact AE to make sure I'm not overreacting - I'm pretty pissed because I had to ship these from Canada and I for the cost after shipping both ways ($175), I could have basically bought a new pair of BB strand seconds... Anyways, here are the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2nd pic is basically what it looks like from above, significant sole protrusion on the top and ride edges but not on the left...

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

What does the bottom look like?

Those definitely look off to me, and I'm not sure id be thrilled

10. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Yep, that looks sloppy.

11. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Bottom loooks normal to me -

[​IMG]

Here are some more shots of the work...

From above

[​IMG]

Here is where it is properly sanded...

[​IMG]

Brutal...

[​IMG]

Sole stitching going off sole...

[​IMG]

Im usually not very picky about this stuff but im pretty pissed about this... for $150+shipping I was expecting some attention to detail - I could have gotten the same work done at my local cobbler for $75, but I figured sending them into AE would be the better choice. I was also looking forward to the "refinishing", which appears not to be done judging by the amount of built up polish that remains visible on the shoe, and the dryness on the captoes that was there before they were sent off.

I have a lot of AE and I love their shoes but recently (a couple of firsts purchases coming with noticeable defects) and then this, NOT THRILLED.

12. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Also just noticed some stitching is now loose due to a cut during the re-sole, and a black/brown raised "crust" is on the entire sole edge... I think they finished the sole with dirt still on it...

[​IMG]

Going into the re-crafting I knew there was a slight chance of something not coming back perfect but I definitely didnt expect this.. I dont even know what to say at this point, lol.

13. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I concluded that I had my first, last and only experience with AE recrafting, all at once, after receiving a pair of McAllisters back that had been essentially butchered and slopped back together (by my standards, at least) during recrafting. Im sure they do a fine job of recrafting for most other people, but for me, it was nowhere NEAR worth it.

Ive heard all of the success stories about AE recrafting. And more power to those for whom the recrafting experience has been satisfactory, but I concluded that for my own budget, I dont have the $125.00 + to gamble on receiving a decent recrafting job. Ive seen enough to make a decision on the Allen Edmonds recrafting issue going forward. Thats money that could just be put toward purchasing a brand new pair of shoes on sale. But from that point on, I just decided that Ill just drop off any pair in need of resoling and polishing at The Shoe Hospital for half as much, and let them work their magic instead. No need to be a glutton for punishment.

14. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Well-Known Member

Bummed to read your past couple of posts. I'm sure AE will attempt to remedy the situation if you reach out. Keep us posted as I have yet to recraft, but am looking forward to using AE's services.

15. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. My first pair was walnut, then bourbon. I like them both, but I'm finding that neither is as versatile as I thought when I bought them. As of now, my most versatile ppair is dark chili McAllisters. My next pair will be brown Lowry Hills.

16. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

Put in context: Pre discovering this site:

8.5 D Daltons - the shoe that made me want AE's - fits TTS, perfect
    8.5 D Mora 2.0 - loved the look/color, 8.5 D worked first time, sooo....? A little snug
    8.5 D Gray PA's - again, beautiful shoe....get maybe 1/2 day's wear before it hurts the pinky...but at $127, no way it was going back.

See, I manage a men's wear store - Custom/OTR suits, designer denim, etc. - so "fashion forward" look is what I wanted most

Now,after reading this thread:

8.5 E Strandmok - 8.5 D 65 last was too tight PLUS the Poron insole = go up 1 width - I'm tall and thin so the length isn't a concern - = good fit.

So you see, your insight is most helpful...and is why, even at $300 for Shell, I think I'll pass on the Westchester - all around fit sounds like wayyyy too much grief. So thank you again.

As too the 108 being the narrowest last = should be tighter...well, IDK, it should I guess, but it isn't, that's what my feet tell me.

And no, none are EBAY purchases - all from SB

17. mrfixit

mrfixit Well-Known Member

That is a fine shoe!

18. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

How has AE priced shell seconds during RDA in the past few years? I remember last year they were $325.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

My apologies - I didn't want to come off so harsh. Your 108 vs 65 fit thing kind of messed with my head :)

Good thing I'm not 8.5D or I'd go broke. Check out the following and reply if/when you want to know more - for dress: Harrison, Hanover, Hyde St, Kenilworth, Taormina, Sapienza. For casual: Badlands, Black Hills, Darmstadt, Gridiron, Grand Canal, suede player...so many choices. Williams in 8.5E also.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  20. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Why, regretting the Westchester already? Don't remember what they were for RDA, but I'm pretty sure 325 was the best for the year. They may work for you - if you take a B in others, a D here might do it. Hope you didn't go from a 8.5 to a 7.5, then they won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.