1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

Did they run out of navy shell or something?

2. coffeegrowler

coffeegrowler Active Member

I hope it's ok to do a cross-post from the AE MTO Thread. Just to see if anyone here might be interested in a Bob's Chili Calfskin Heritage wingtip MTO for $199.

For those of you who are not familiar with AE's MTO program, we can get a customized version of the Heritage wingtip, in Bob's Chili calfskin (single color, not the two-tone version of the standard Heritage) for $199. These would be custom made in your size, factory firsts with free shipping within continental USA.

In order to secure the $199 price, we need 12 members to commit to the purchase before the sale ends on April 27th. If you're interested, please respond in the following link, it also has more details about the custom make up,

http://www.styleforum.net/t/381983/the-allen-edmonds-mto-thread/7620#post_7836222

The base design of the shoe will be the Heritage wingtip model pictured below,

[​IMG]

But the leather and single color for the whole shoe will as per JSO1's Bob's Chili/dark chili burnished Strand pictured below,

[​IMG]

Note that there is a second Heritage make up in Bourbon calf/snuff suede ongoing in the AE MTO thread as well, if that's a better option for you. Same rules apply.

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

All this Amok talk has me wondering if anyone knows a retailer that still has them in stock. I should have gotten them when they had them, but now I want an unlined chukka without spending Alden prices.

4. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that finds the Amok somewhat uncomfortable? The upper is fine and all, but I feel the sole is very "flat". After long wear, the bottom part of my feet does hurt a bit.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I agree. I wear them only when I'm going to be driving to somewhere indoors. Can't really do a lot of walking on NYC sidewalks in them for very long.

6. Gabru

Gabru Well-Known Member

Thanks. For the laces I asked my SA to include a set of flat laces and she did

7. clothed4thought

clothed4thought Member

Finally got up to AE store today and the SA associate there fitted me at 11b in the Strand, as opposed to the Nordstrom SA who fitted me at 10d; or several years ago at AE store at 10.5d. Not sure what to trust anymore. 10.5d felt good, so did the 11b. Apparently the break on the shoe looked better in 11b and my foot seemed to line up with the widest part of both the 10.5d and 11b shoes.

A little weird to me considering the 5 last is suppose to be AE's longest last, and that my largest pair of shoes ever are size 11. Wearing my 10d boots from another company right now and realizing they may be too small: uncomfortable shortening of my arch.

Anyone wear their 'normal' length in the 5 last instead of sizing down?

8. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just received a pair of Williams from Shoebank. They are heavily creased, especially the right shoe, from being previously tried on. The right even looks a little stretched on the outer side. There are couple of minor flaws and one major flaw. One of The minor flaw that I can live with is the slightly off center wing. However, the hills don't sit flat on the floor, and cause slight discomfort. By the way, can those creases be corrected?

9. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Well-Known Member

I just reluctantly returned a pair in 11.5 that had wings that were not centered. The 2 shoes were symmetrical, but the wings were 3/8" off center. I'm not overly particular, especially at this price, but it bothered me every time I looked down. It was so obvious that I thought others might notice it (which is probably delusional on my part). Anyway, back they went. They were extremely comfortable though.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  10. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I've been a 10.5 D for about 25 years in other shoes. I came to AE this year, and all of my pairs are 10.5 D, five last Strand, McAllister, Shreveport, and also other lasts including Gobi and Hale. I confess I don't understand all these sizing posts.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I'm a 7.5c-8b on the Brannock, and I take one of those two sizes in just about everything (besides egregiously mislabeled lasts like Alden's Barrie) including the 5 last.

12. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

There is an effort to put together a group MTO by Monday, with the following specs:

Bob's Chili Heritage MTO

Bob's Chili/Dark Burnished Chili
    Tone on tone stitching
    Chili flat welt
    Dark Brown welt stitch
    Wheeling and fudging
    Dainite outsole (possible leather midsole)
    Independence insole and lining
    Dark brown transparent edge dressing
    $199 shipped CONUS -GMTO price

More details are available on the Allen Edmonds MTO thread. This would be a nice balmoral wingtip, for an unbeatable price. Check it out if you are interested.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Stopped by the Philly AE store today to look around. I'm always reminded of how much better the shoes look in person and how god awful the photographs on AE's site are.

Looked at a pair of oxblood Daltons but decided the color is too purple for me. A Bob's Chili Dalton may be in my future.

I also rekindled my love affair with the brown Vernon. What a beautiful shoe on a great last.

Also, I was at the Ralph Lauren store in the city yesterday and although I already own a few of them, the AE made for RL shoes look so beautiful when they're brand new.

No pics, so I guess this post is mostly useless. But up until now the only time I've been able to browse different AE models in person was at a Nordstom Rack elsewhere. Seeing all these shoes together in person made me wish I was a billionaire.

14. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Goodbye, Park Aves... Hello, Harrisons...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that some people get a little obsessive over sizing and fit. I won't wear shoes that hurt, but otherwise not all of my shoes fit me the same way and I don't mind that a bit. I'll wear thicker or thinner socks depending; I'll also avoid certain shoes if I know I'll have to do a lot of walking that day. I also don't obsess over whether my shoes are creasing or rolling in the "right" places. It may be easier for me to have this attitude when my rotation is as big as it is.

2 people like this.
  16. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Leeds in brown calf with a Vibram Gumlite[​IMG] sole. It is supposed to pour tomorrow during church. As these are my only rain shoes, could I get away with pairing them with a light gray suit? I am currently polishing them using the shoe snob method. If I can get a shine on them, what do you think?

BTW, I am the minister, so I will be up in front of everyone.

17. James60

James60 Member

Are these older shoes, or were they bought as seconds?

18. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I think you'll be fine.

http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/pants/what-color-shoes-to-wear-with-what-color-pants/

1 person likes this.
  19. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Well-Known Member

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Technically yes, but it's in dark brown smooth dress calf, which is way up there on the dressy scale. Plus, it's a plain toe dress shoe.

We obsess quite a bit about the "rules," but at the end of the day, the fornality of leather and simplicity of adornment (ie no broguing etc) will win out over the blucher vs bal conundrum.

Plus, you'll be wearing a robe, right?

Methinks thou wilst be fine.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.